Litter In Sheffield?

Theres definately an issue there with the bin men.  They leave lots of rubbish on my road as well that drops from the bins as they are emptying them.  They never pick up after themselves so they are no better than everyone else who drops rubbish.

20 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

If we need the unemployed to pick up litter, then they should be employed on a decent wage to do so.

As for using kids as labour to litter pick, supervised by teachers, why is the responsibility of schools to get children not to litter? That's the responsibility of the parents, that's what we did, my children don't drop litter.

Who's supervising these classes split into smaller groups? There aren't teachers milling about in school looking for something to do. There is no time or money to do what you suggest. You could, of course, volunteer to take groups of kids out yourself, each school day.

If we want to get someone to pick it up how about the council catch people in the act and then make them spend the weekend picking all the litter up to teach them a lesson? If thats not possible perhaps a new law is needed so it can be done.

52 minutes ago, katekate said:

Theres definately an issue there with the bin men.  They leave lots of rubbish on my road as well that drops from the bins as they are emptying them.  They never pick up after themselves so they are no better than everyone else who drops rubbish.

Have you reported the issue?

34 minutes ago, nightrider said:

If we want to get someone to pick it up how about the council catch people in the act and then make them spend the weekend picking all the litter up to teach them a lesson? If thats not possible perhaps a new law is needed so it can be done.

Its down to the local council tax payers to be active and make sure council services perform as they should.

I have done before but nothing ever changes.  

2 hours ago, nightrider said:

Nice idea in principle. The fact is that there is no council funding to firstly have people to catch them, secondly to "prosecute" them, thirdly to supervise them litter picking.

As with so much in life, it comes down to resources and priorities.

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

Its down to the local council tax payers to be active and make sure council services perform as they should.

Its also down to local council tax payers to be willing to pay enough council tax to get the services they want.

Lots of Europeans give back more overall in tax than we do in the UK, and get the public services they pay for.

8 hours ago, katekate said:

A couple of years ago a storm was forecast for the night and it was blue bin collection the next day, so I passed a thin rope around the handle and looped it over the gate post.

When I arrived home later next day, the bin stood there unemptied, except for most of the others in the area- all over the streets, scattering contents far and wide in hedgerows, gardens etc. I contacted Veolia and suggested there might be a problem with blue bins in storm conditions and could they suggest anything to mitigate it. They said "just leave them out as usual and if they blow over, ring us and we'll come and pick it all up". I bet!

I've noticed more and more street bin full to brim and overflowing. There's one near my house that hadn't been emptied for weeks despite seeing the wagon most nights emptying others nearby. One night when I saw them I went out to tell them about it, they just said it wasn't on their list.

Not on their list........ it's full!! Couldn't be bothered arguing and walked off, how can you argue with someone who has that logic. Talk about bone idle!

5 minutes ago, Colin Foster said:

I've noticed more and more street bin full to brim and overflowing. There's one near my house that hadn't been emptied for weeks despite seeing the wagon most nights emptying others nearby. One night when I saw them I went out to tell them about it, they just said it wasn't on their list.

Not on their list........ it's full!! Couldn't be bothered arguing and walked off, how can you argue with someone who has that logic. Talk about bone idle!

Sounds like they are doing what they have been asked to do.

11 minutes ago, Colin Foster said:

Sadly, a lot of people have got out of the habit of using their initiative, or going above nd beyond what's expected of them.

39 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Sounds like they are doing what they have been asked to do.

Too literally without any using any initiative.

If they've genuinely been told to ignore bins that need emptying but aren't on their "list", then that's ridiculous management.

6 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

If they've genuinely been told to ignore bins that need emptying but aren't on their "list", then that's ridiculous management.

It does seem that way, but what if by emptying this extra bin they’re then unable to empty one that IS on their list?

Have you reported the overflowing bin?

7 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

I can be on the list tomorrow.