Litter In Sheffield?

Over here in Leeds we have a massive wave of volunteer litter picking. Maybe you have litter in Sheffield?

Its great that people want to improve their local area. If Sheffield council are not doing this, they should be.

Some are suffering due to the lockdown, those that are not and have some free time could be helping their local council and keeping their neighbourhood clean.

we have some great litter picking teams around S8,on the side of the local roads,they do a great free job,but i believe the council and the public ,need to do more.

35 minutes ago, bassett one said:

we have some great litter picking teams around S8,on the side of the local roads,they do a great free job,but i believe the council and the public ,need to do more.

My bold of your post-If you mean  council (s) should clamp down harder on people that litter, I am totally with you. Also, yes, if the public ceased throwing litter down there would be a vast improvement.  

What happened to the public information type films and campaigns against littering? 

Heaven knows we need something to encourage people to clean their act up.

The deluge of litter on motorway hedgerows etc is appalling. When did people assume it was OK to chuck their crap out of car windows and into the street? Are parents no longer teaching their children anything? Do schools no longer run litter campaigns? Councils clean streets? Fast food shops provide bins? Supermarkets cut packaging? Police challenge litter droppers?  

What's the matter with people?

Edited by Anna B

The subject of litter pops up regularly on here. which is a good thing. The worst areas seem to be a 250 yd radius around the smaller shopping areas where teenagers (and younger) drop their drinks cans/wrappers on the pavment; it's not street cred to use a litter bin in front of their mates.

Once a week I drive along Donetzk Way and often see who I think are Council litter-pickers alongside the tram tracks, which is puzzling as there are no nearby shops and appears to be a litter free area. Contrast that to some of the litter piled up around some schools and I do wonder what on earth the teachers (or whoever is in charge) think. The answer must be they can't be bothered.

3 hours ago, carosio said:

The subject of litter pops up regularly on here. which is a good thing. The worst areas seem to be a 250 yd radius around the smaller shopping areas where teenagers (and younger) drop their drinks cans/wrappers on the pavment; it's not street cred to use a litter bin in front of their mates.

Once a week I drive along Donetzk Way and often see who I think are Council litter-pickers alongside the tram tracks, which is puzzling as there are no nearby shops and appears to be a litter free area. Contrast that to some of the litter piled up around some schools and I do wonder what on earth the teachers (or whoever is in charge) think. The answer must be they can't be bothered.

Are you suggesting that teachers should be litter picking outside schools? 

Go and pick it yourself, its as much your responsibility as it theirs.

Edited by Bargepole23

40 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

1. Yes, it just might set an example to their pupils.

2. I do, but there's too much for one man, you're welcome to join me if you wish.

17 minutes ago, carosio said:

2. I do, but there's too much for one man, you're welcome to join me if you wish.

And when do you suggest they do this litter picking?

Why is there too much for one man? You just need to put the hours in, unless you can't be bothered.

Edited by Bargepole23

19 minutes ago, carosio said:

My goodness, don't teachers have enough to do?

They educate - ie teach the kids not to drop litter in the first place, amongst many many other things. Police are supposed to enforce it. 

Parents should also teach their kids as well as set good examples, as well as all other adults.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Shop owners should make sure their own patch is clean, as should housholders; schools should do the same. I was employed by a school on mimimum wage for around 10 months to do their bins and litter pick. But teachers, heavens no! Is that the attitude?

30 minutes ago, Anna B said:

My goodness, don't teachers have enough to do?

They educate - ie teach the kids not to drop litter in the first place, amongst many many other things. Police are supposed to enforce it. 

Parents should also teach their kids as well as set good examples, as well as all other adults.

The litter that is on the street, someone elese job then, councils?

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

And when do you suggest they do this litter picking?

Why is there too much for one man? You just need to put the hours in, unless you can't be bothered.

Right after school or on Saturday mornings/afternoons. Please have a look on the roads around some of the schools, a flat-back lorry would be suitable.

30 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Shop owners should make sure their own patch is clean, as should housholders; schools should do the same. I was employed by a school on mimimum wage for around 10 months to do their bins and litter pick. But teachers, heavens no! Is that the attitude?

Teachers typically work 48-50 hours a week, I think thats enough, don't you? Or perhaps they should get a few more hours in litter picking. Is that the attitude?

Just now, carosio said:

Right after school or on Saturday mornings/afternoons. Please have a look on the roads around some of the schools, a flat-back lorry would be suitable.

Teachers typically work 48-50 hours a week, I think thats enough, don't you?

Or are you expecting them do a Saturday morning or afternoon for free to pick litter that they haven't dropped?

Why don't you do a bit more? You just need to up your hours, do a few more schools. What are you doing tonight?

36 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Of course its the councils job. Its not their fault its there, but part of their remit is litter picking.