Anyone Remember Sutherlands Spread Factory

Morning all

Just wondered if any of you remembered Sutherland Spreads?

Edited by nikki-red

48 minutes ago, Granny Marys said:

Morning all

Yes, my rear garden backed on to the premises. I can still scent the aroma.

I remember Sutherlands single storey building on Senior Road,Darnall.,now a tyre firm.The proprietors of the cafe in High Hazels Park,Edgar and Dot Gough,used to buy glass potted meat jars from Sutherlands to sell soft drinks in.

We had a neighbour in Fulwood. Surname Reynolds. Rumour had it that he had connections with Sutherlands. Thats going back to 1965.

I knew someone who worked there weather the stories about what went in were true  or not I never had any.

Back in the 80’s I had a girlfriend who used to work there. She lost a finger tip on one of the machines and it was never found. I never ate the stuff after that revelation! Remember the jingle- “We like sutherlands sumptuous sutherlands spread on sumptuous sutherlands spread “. If memory serves.

12 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Yes, my rear garden backed on to the premises. I can still scent the aroma.

Can"t seem to get away from you. My first house was just up the road on Clifton Crescent. ( no offence intended ), close to the Parkway roundabout.

26 minutes ago, beezerboy said:

Can"t seem to get away from you. My first house was just up the road on Clifton Crescent. ( no offence intended ), close to the Parkway roundabout.

I was on Willow Drive. The potted dog factory is now halal something or other, lol.

I have a recollection that Sutherlands were the first peacetime occupants of the former National Fire Service building in Ecclesall Road, alongside the Tesco/Shopping Centre. That would be from about 1946/7 .  When they moved from there it became, eventually, that parade of shops that includes the Sheffield shop.   Does anyone else recall that? 

On 22/02/2021 at 09:44, Granny Marys said:

Morning all

Yes, their spreads were delicious.

Hia  Granny Marys, apparently Tesco still advertising it, Sutherland Beef Spread.