Phillips Fruit & Veg

Does any one remember the fruit and veg shop at the junction of Avisford rd and Halifax road

I worked there from 1964 to 66 until I left school Phillip ( Clayton) was a real character

He used to drink in the Gate inn at bottom of Halifax Rd 

2 hours ago, John St Clair said:

Does any one remember the fruit and veg shop at the junction of Avisford rd and Halifax road

I worked there from 1964 to 66 until I left school Phillip ( Clayton) was a real character

He used to drink in the Gate inn at bottom of Halifax Rd 

I thought the fruit & veg shop was Heffords & Claytons was a wet fish shop , Hadfields newsagents in between. Could be wrong though.

I remember Phillip Clayton very well, he only had a provisional driving license and my Dad used to accompany him to the wholesale market to buy his produce, yes he liked a drink or several and he played the drums in a pub in Oughtibridge at the weekends, his Mum was also a bit of a character as well

Your right his mother was very strange. There was a guy who lived not far from Phillips who used to drive him to the markets I wonder if it is the same person . Sorry cant remember his name

Do you live in the area now, I was wondering what is there now where the shop used to be.

I am going to a funeral at Grenoside in a couple of weeks and will have a look as I go past

It was a wet fish shop when his father had it,  who also had a street stall at Hillsborough. When 
Phillip took over Hefford decided to compete with the fish and essentially won.  He, Phillip, opened the shop later as a 
fruit and veg but it didn't profit. 
He fancied a barmaid at the Gate Inn but it wasn't requited.  
He was basically a nice bloke who never got a break.
To say his Mum was a character is an understatement.
The shop has had a few incarnations, last I heard, a few years ago, it was a coffee shop.
The flat above was also where Gabrielle lived during her daliance with her child's father.

My mother worked at the Gate as a cleaner I think I remember her mentioning that Phillip was after one of the barmaids

My mother was a cleaner at The Gate also but graduated to being a barmaid for many years. Not 
the one that Philip fancied I hasten to add, just a contemporary.