Perseverance Lands On Mars.

What a feat, how the 

Just now, Padders said:

What a feat, how the 

Well they've done a bit better than me, can't even post correctly.

What I was going to say is,

What a fantastic achievement, what got me was when it landed it sent a message back "I've landed safely"

It's extremely impressive, looking forward to reading about the discoveries they will make in the future.

7 minutes ago, geared said:

It's extremely impressive, looking forward to reading about the discoveries they will make in the future.

Wonder if they will find life ?

I don’t think they will find life on Mars, but you never know.  However they could find some interesting fossils which could help us to understand more about the planet.

27 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I don’t think they will find life on Mars, but you never know.  However they could find some interesting fossils which could help us to understand more about the planet.

I hear the chances are a million to one 

26 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Ulla!

But seriously, if they find fossils or microbes it will change the way we understand ourselves and the universe. If they find the place is sterile and always was it is also important.

1 hour ago, Delayed said:

It's a lot of time, effort, and a huge amount of money to spend on a million to one chance.

After all, it's primary function is to search for early life.

3 hours ago, Padders said:

Be careful what you wish for. 

I watched a movie last night called Life, a sample of life was brought back from Mars to the ISS. It didn't end well for the crew.....

All this talk of life on Mars, seems a good excuse for this......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Poii8JAbtng&ab_channel=TWOTWVEVO

Edited by andyofborg

10 minutes ago, Padders said:

It's a lot of time, effort, and a huge amount of money to spend on a million to one chance.

But still they come....

3 hours ago, Padders said:

Hmmm... :huh:

... well this is a bit of a worry I can tell you!

Many of us have been brought up in a generation who were reliably informed that anything from 'outer space' obviously originated from Mars.

In fact I remember a TV documentary series of the 60's called 'My Favorite Martian'. :mrgreen:

Looking back, the spelling mistake in the title should probably have given us all a clue as to the accuracy of the programme content... but people were much less cynical in those days.

And now a few pointy-heads want to tell us that we could have been lied to all these years and that our childhood dreams of meeting a real-life Martian is never likely to happen...  

... and just because their ex-British Leyland robotic vehicle is unable to detect anything!

Well I'm just not having it...  anyone who knows a thing or two about the build quality of such vehicles will be able to tell you that they were not known for their reliability... :mad:

1 hour ago, Padders said:

After all, it's primary function is to search for early life.

That, but I suspect they will also be looking for mineral deposits too, with a view to mining them in the future.