Road Works Junction Of Spital Hill And Gower Street

At the junction of spital hill and gower street, yesterday (Tuesday 16th February) road works appeared on the path outside the surgery on this junction, the static traffic lights were turned off and temporary traffic lights put in place, causing huge tail backs in all 4 directions, because the traffic lights instead of controlling traffic across gower street towards Andover street and visa versa plus burgreave road to spital hill (visa versa) are now controlled 1 at a time. Now to me who lives local, this would be tolerable except since around 5 pm yesterday nothing has been done on the roadworks, not one person has even been at the site, meaning another 24 hours minimum of backed up traffic in all 4 directions including a main route from the northern general hospital for ambulances but wait, there's more , around a mile further on, the traffic lights at the junction of Barnsley road and Norwood road have also been turned off and temp traffic lights installed , again using 3 way traffic control causing still more disruption. And yet again no one there since they were installed.

my question is WHY.? Why dig it up, install the temp lights then leave it? And who's idea was it ? Looks like this was done to cause maximum disruption to an area and road infrastructure used quite heavily by ambulances and hospital workers, yet in no way attempting to finish it up and remove the traffic congestion on a already heavily used route.

if anyone from road services or whoever could answer these simple questions, remembering it's a local election soon, feel free to try and gain or indeed lose many votes by this fiasco again, not forgetting the cycle lane mess the same people caused in the same area on derek Dooley way a little while ago, are you deliberately going out to anger this areas inhabitants?

Edited by nikki-red

Couldn't agree more. What's worse is aside from the two you mention, there are 3 other temp lights that have gone up within a mile or so of the Barnsley Road works.

Pavement dug up, lights put in, havoc caused and not a workman to be seen.

I am sure the usual apologist brigade will be around shortly to defend the road/pavement/gas works and explain how it is far too dangerous for people to work on the pavements as cars and buses are going up and down so they only work between 3 and 5am or how it's an extremely difficult job requiring genius level engineering skills and those people are in short supply.

funny thing is only the other day, residents in the 'posher' end of town rose up and complained as the gas works meant they couldn't park outside their own homes!

I suspect the engineering geniuses are all huddled over there, trying to get it sorted because many of those residents over there will know someone with a bit of clout in the council.

I called in that problem to BBC to be mentioned as traffic problem. Usually don't bother calling local BBC but this area needs to be avoided as much as possible.