Family History

Hi I'm looking at an cencus of my family and it wentworth street but it say Kelsey jand do you know what it means or what it was 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Susan foster said:

Hi I'm looking at an cencus of my family and it wentworth street but it say Kelsey jand do you know what it means or what it was 

Thanks

I think you’ll need to give a bit more detail.

Are you looking at the 1861 census for Hezekiah Kelsey?...if so and you are looking at the box at the side of  'Kelseys Houses, Wentworth Street' I think it is a number 1, denoting 1 inhabited house. If it said 1b it would indicate 1 house being built....if I remember rightly.

Just to add to that Edwin Kelsey had a son called Ellis, you won't find the boy on the census as he died in 1879 at the age of 1yr 5 months.

Edited by sadbrewer

Hezekiah KELSEY 41 head LIN Haxey
Mary Ann KELSEY 43 wife YKS Doncaster
Henry KELSEY 16 son DBY Bakewell
Edwin KELSEY 13 son YKS Sheffield
Annie KELSEY 11 daughter YKS Sheffield
Thomas KELSEY 9 son YKS Sheffield
Catherine E KELSEY 5 daughter YKS Sheffield

This is from the 1861 Sheffield census on SheffieldRecords.org.uk   

You can follow Hezekiah through the 1851 , 1861 , 1871 and 1881  censuses on FamilySearch.org.  He died in Sheffield in 1890,  April--June.

If Hezekiah is not the one you are looking for, there is a James Kelsey and his wife Elizabeth, no kids, and a Henry Kelsey and his wife Sarah and their children in that Sheffield 1861 census  on SheffieldRecords.org.uk 

Edited by redcanuck