Pancake Day In Sheffield

Is anyone ordering pancakes from anywhere tomorrow?

I've seen a few places are doing orders, Forge Bakehouse have delicious sounding ones with rhubarb! 

why not make your own? pancakes are probably the easiest thing in the universe to make. 

here's the recipe I used - i used 1/2 quantities which made 4 decent ones. 

i normally would have saved half the batter in the fridge for tomorrow but it's pancake day and I was feeling greedy :)

https://www.food.com/recipe/great-easy-crepes-507271

i'd suggest letting the batter rest for 20 minutes or so. 

the nicest way I've found of cooking rhubarb is, roasting it. 

Chop a stalk into chunks or lengths depending what you are wanting.

put in a dish with a good drizzle of honey, a sprinkling of ground ginger and a passion fruit. 

roast it for about 20 minutes at 200deg C until its soft. 

while it's roasting make the crepes and keep them warm

when the rhubarb is ready, taste and adjust the sweetness, if you get lots of juice then i think i'd be tempted to take the juice and boil it down a bit. 

fold the crepes, stuff with some of the rhubarb, drizzle with the juice and serve with something like (possibly sweetened) yoghurt or creme fraiche, something which isn't going to turn into liquid and swamp the delicate colour and taste of the juice.  

I had my pancakes with blood orange and maple poached plums with a dollop of creme fraiche.

http://www.eatwriteexplore.com/2016/04/blood-orange-ginger-poached-plums/

as an aside, taking the roast rhubarb, putting a crumble topping on it and giving it another 20 minutes or so makes a pretty good crumble if you like that sort of thing - especially with a decent custard. 

Edited by andyofborg

11 hours ago, andyofborg said:

why not make your own? pancakes are probably the easiest thing in the universe to make. 

here's the recipe I used - i used 1/2 quantities which made 4 decent ones. 

i normally would have saved half the batter in the fridge for tomorrow but it's pancake day and I was feeling greedy :)

https://www.food.com/recipe/great-easy-crepes-507271

i'd suggest letting the batter rest for 20 minutes or so. 

the nicest way I've found of cooking rhubarb is, roasting it. 

Chop a stalk into chunks or lengths depending what you are wanting.

put in a dish with a good drizzle of honey, a sprinkling of ground ginger and a passion fruit. 

roast it for about 20 minutes at 200deg C until its soft. 

while it's roasting make the crepes and keep them warm

when the rhubarb is ready, taste and adjust the sweetness, if you get lots of juice then i think i'd be tempted to take the juice and boil it down a bit. 

fold the crepes, stuff with some of the rhubarb, drizzle with the juice and serve with something like (possibly sweetened) yoghurt or creme fraiche, something which isn't going to turn into liquid and swamp the delicate colour and taste of the juice.  

I had my pancakes with blood orange and maple poached plums with a dollop of creme fraiche.

http://www.eatwriteexplore.com/2016/04/blood-orange-ginger-poached-plums/

as an aside, taking the roast rhubarb, putting a crumble topping on it and giving it another 20 minutes or so makes a pretty good crumble if you like that sort of thing - especially with a decent custard. 

At the moment with the pesky covid virus it’s nice to try and support businesses who are still trying to keep going by offering takeaway food when their cafes are closed, and if selling special pancakes helps them, then I say good luck to them.  

It’s years since I’ve made pancakes which didn’t turn out very good if I remember.  I put too much batter in the pan and used water and milk in the recipe, also I didn’t leave the batter to rest.  

Your basic recipe looks good so I will make a note of it.

3 hours ago, hauxwell said:

At the moment with the pesky covid virus it’s nice to try and support businesses who are still trying to keep going by offering takeaway food when their cafes are closed, and if selling special pancakes helps them, then I say good luck to them.  

indeed good luck to them, but making your own is fun and not too difficult. 

3 hours ago, hauxwell said:

It’s years since I’ve made pancakes which didn’t turn out very good if I remember.  I put too much batter in the pan and used water and milk in the recipe, also I didn’t leave the batter to rest.  

Your basic recipe looks good so I will make a note of it.

i used to be like that but i persevered and if you take a little bit of time and care it works very well.

I agree that it is a good thing to support local businesses in these difficult times, but I still make my own, because it's really quick and easy and nowt tastes as good as a home made pancake. I just mix plain flour with 1 beaten egg, then add cold milk and beat the batter to the required consistency with a fork. I then fry them very thin, crepe-style, in a very hot, lightly oiled frying pan for about 30 seconds on one side, toss them once - then fry about 30 seconds on the other side. I serve them with a drizzle of Lyle's golden syrup.  It's the only topping that works for me - not lemon juice & sprinkled sugar...or honey...or stewed fruit, or  jam & cream. An old Sheffield friend of mine likes them spread with Nutella spread. I can't think of owt worse! Each to their own - but for me , it's just got to be golden syrup...or nowt! 

18 hours ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

I agree that it is a good thing to support local businesses in these difficult times, but I still make my own, because it's really quick and easy and nowt tastes as good as a home made pancake. I just mix plain flour with 1 beaten egg, then add cold milk and beat the batter to the required consistency with a fork. I then fry them very thin, crepe-style, in a very hot, lightly oiled frying pan for about 30 seconds on one side, toss them once - then fry about 30 seconds on the other side. I serve them with a drizzle of Lyle's golden syrup.  It's the only topping that works for me - not lemon juice & sprinkled sugar...or honey...or stewed fruit, or  jam & cream. An old Sheffield friend of mine likes them spread with Nutella spread. I can't think of owt worse! Each to their own - but for me , it's just got to be golden syrup...or nowt! 

It’s years since I’ve had golden syrup. I’ll have to remember to buy some when I go shopping to put on porridge when I make it again.

Yes Hauxwell - it's just  got to be Golden Syrup on porridge too! I've tried many alternatives - porridge with fresh or dried fruit, with nuts, with honey. I've done "overnight oats" by mixing raw porridge oats with cold milk & soaking in the fridge for several hours   - I've even done proper "Scottish" style porridge , made with water and a sprinkle of salt. All of these alternatives are definitely  more healthy -  and even quite tasty  - but for me, "proper" porridge just has to be made with whole milk - and  with a generous spoonful of Lyle's Golden Syrup stirred into it.