Stoke City Fc V Sheffield Wednesday Fc

move on to a home win now next,i thought rhodes didnt play bad.

In street football, or spare land, or Park football, as a young 'un, did you ever play in goal? To make a save look better, did you throw your legs to one side, then 'dive' the other way? You know you could have just stood tall and caught it, or palmed it round the post, or over the bar? Then why the hell does an international 'keeper, with 25 years experience, do exactly that, in an important, 'mustn't lose' professional game? The club have just released a short highlights video. Please watch it. After we go one down, watch the free header that a Stoke player gets, and watch Westwood's attempt at getting a 'save of the season' nomination. I'm telling you now, if I was in goal at that moment, I could have turned round and caught the ball between the cheeks of my ...... Westwood did the pretend 'great save' move, and parried it across the goal for an easy tap in for someone. No wonder we are where we are. Every player should do the job properly like Uroghide. He's coming on a treat.  After what I've seen these last 18 months, we definitely need 3 'keepers. Someone with the skills and attitude of Ben Foster would do for me. We need 3 Ben Fosters.

31 minutes ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

In street football, or spare land, or Park football, as a young 'un, did you ever play in goal? To make a save look better, did you throw your legs to one side, then 'dive' the other way? You know you could have just stood tall and caught it, or palmed it round the post, or over the bar? Then why the hell does an international 'keeper, with 25 years experience, do exactly that, in an important, 'mustn't lose' professional game? The club have just released a short highlights video. Please watch it. After we go one down, watch the free header that a Stoke player gets, and watch Westwood's attempt at getting a 'save of the season' nomination. I'm telling you now, if I was in goal at that moment, I could have turned round and caught the ball between the cheeks of my ...... Westwood did the pretend 'great save' move, and parried it across the goal for an easy tap in for someone. No wonder we are where we are. Every player should do the job properly like Uroghide. He's coming on a treat.  After what I've seen these last 18 months, we definitely need 3 'keepers. Someone with the skills and attitude of Ben Foster would do for me. We need 3 Ben Fosters.

Hot's,

The game has changed dramatically since we were young'uns.

It's gone Global and Theatrical.

Score a goal and slide 50 yds on your knees, kiss your shirt, and blow kisses to the crowd.

Get tackled from behind, throw your arms in the air, do a pirouette, and do 32 rolls on the ground.

And you expect the goalkeeper to simply catch the ball, come on Hots, he just wants to join in the fun.

Decided to watch this and as said in a previous post above, Stoke let you off the hook. Owls playing hoof ball, bar one header from Rhodes, and as also said in an above post, the keeper who many owls rated the best in the championship last year, even though he was 3rd choice at the club at the time, make a howler for the goal,  90 minutes I'll never get back!

9 hours ago, Padders said:

Hot's,

The game has changed dramatically since we were young'uns.

It's gone Global and Theatrical.

Score a goal and slide 50 yds on your knees, kiss your shirt, and blow kisses to the crowd.

Get tackled from behind, throw your arms in the air, do a pirouette, and do 32 rolls on the ground.

And you expect the goalkeeper to simply catch the ball, come on Hots, he just wants to join in the fun.

Did you take the trouble to watch it?  I think it's embarrassing. The Manager, Coach, Goalkeeping Coach and the tea lady should give him a right rollicking and tell him to grow up. All 3 of our 'keepers do the same thing. Spectacular rather than decisive. Were you impressed? I assume you were as unimpressed as I was. It's awful.

Edited by Hotmale 1954

6 minutes ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

Did you take the trouble to watch it?  I think it's embarrassing. The Manager, Coach, Goalkeeping Coach and the tea lady should give him a right rollicking and tell him to grow up. All 3 of our 'keepers do the same thing. Spectacular rather than decisive. Were you impressed? I assume you were as unimpressed as I was. It's awful.

Yep, watched the "highlights" 

Agree with you 100%.

2 minutes ago, Padders said:

Yep, watched the "highlights" 

Agree with you 100%.

I suppose it's akin to faking, diving and sliding like you said earlier. Positive faking if you like.

12 hours ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

I suppose it's akin to faking, diving and sliding like you said earlier. Positive faking if you like.

Lets go back to the 50/60s Hots.

Saturday 3pm, football at Hillsboro or the Lane, a religion.

Watch a good competitive game standing side by side with opposing fans, after the game (90mins) win or lose, you would shake hands with visiting fans, and say well played mate.Pub at night, work on Monday and discuss Saturday's game. No replays, no slow motion, no VAR, we were the pundits.

In fact you were lucky to have a TV back then.

County cup match's 30/40 thousand gates.

And who can forget Cup fever, I've had it many times, ears glued to the wireless listening to the cup draw, the further you progressed the worse it got. On many occasions I was reduced to tears when my team were knocked out, none more so than 1966.

Fast forward to the present day.

Football is now competing with a host of other sports, all being shown on the box, god knows how many TV channels there are,

And they all want your money, (bums on seats)

The promoters of their particular sport need to make it as dramatic as possible, players are encouraged to do a bit of showboating, Managers falling out all add a bit of spice to the game, then they have a drink together after the game.

Take boxing as a good example, the build up to a big fight, the two boxers do nothing but slag each other off, threats about what there going to do to each other in the ring,  and whats become the norm now, they have to be separated at the weigh in.

Football in the 50/60s was it better than todays game?

For us old gits yes,

Their wasn't anything else to occupy our minds, only girls, and I never had much success there.

So many things ruined by money, TV coverage, fame, sponsors, agents, greed, the Internet, influencers and Tories. One of the worst terms these days is 'Football's a business'.

THAT tells us all we need to know.

21 hours ago, Padders said:

Lets go back to the 50/60s Hots.

Saturday 3pm, football at Hillsboro or the Lane, a religion.

Watch a good competitive game standing side by side with opposing fans, after the game (90mins) win or lose, you would shake hands with visiting fans, and say well played mate.Pub at night, work on Monday and discuss Saturday's game. No replays, no slow motion, no VAR, we were the pundits.

In fact you were lucky to have a TV back then.

County cup match's 30/40 thousand gates.

And who can forget Cup fever, I've had it many times, ears glued to the wireless listening to the cup draw, the further you progressed the worse it got. On many occasions I was reduced to tears when my team were knocked out, none more so than 1966.

Fast forward to the present day.

Football is now competing with a host of other sports, all being shown on the box, god knows how many TV channels there are,

And they all want your money, (bums on seats)

The promoters of their particular sport need to make it as dramatic as possible, players are encouraged to do a bit of showboating, Managers falling out all add a bit of spice to the game, then they have a drink together after the game.

Take boxing as a good example, the build up to a big fight, the two boxers do nothing but slag each other off, threats about what there going to do to each other in the ring,  and whats become the norm now, they have to be separated at the weigh in.

Football in the 50/60s was it better than todays game?

For us old gits yes,

Their wasn't anything else to occupy our minds, only girls, and I never had much success there.

Slightly off topic Pads but a good post, particularly on the tv subject,. In the last few  years I used to tune in and watch the build up to most games on Sky, and now I can't stand it, studio pundits,stats, rewinds etc, so boring, bringing the likes of Richards,Hasselbank,and the like to the fore, then the kneeling business, even the players are getting sick of it now!. I daren't go on about the adverts in between,  its one long propaganda vehicle, that for me is ruining the game, not to mention VAR!. I used to look forwards to a game being on, but not anymore