Sign in to follow this  

External Hard Drive

I have a 1TB  Western Digital portable hard drive that I have not used for a long while and have forgotten the password. Is there any way that I can access it to start using it again for storing files?

Do you mean one of those that has encryption either built into the hardware (number/keypad) or runs as software on the drive? (user/pass window comes up when plugged in)

A lot of them wipe the drive if the wrong password is entered several times. This normally resets it, so you just create a new password, but you will lose all the data on the drive. It's only a guess without knowing the WD drive model.

Post a link to the hard drive if you can. That will give a better idea what you're up against.

Thanks for the reply, I will get it out and have a look for the details,  the password is required to access a folder the files  are  in on the drive.

Edited by iansheff