Plan To Remove Sheffield Rail Link To Manchester Airport

1 hour ago, Bigal1 said:

I have always allowed for the train to be cancelled heading for the airport. . Yes early mornings are a real pain heading to the airport.

Snap.

1 hour ago, Bigal1 said:

I have always allowed for the train to be cancelled heading for the airport. . Yes early mornings are a real pain heading to the airport.

In a perfect world yes I would too but I travel too much to allow lots of room for error or I would spend half my week in train stations and airports hanging around etc

tbf the direct train is very reliable, I usually aim to get there 1 hour minimum before my flight and haven’t missed one yet.

I expect I will use Manchester less if they change things and will fly out of London more as I’m down there every Monday in the office.

It seems typical of UK infrastructure projects, to make something better we will make something else worse - crazy really.

Most airports in Europe I use have really good public transport connections for the wider area, In Germany the inter city connections have airports as key hubs so you can go directly to most places really quickly after you land.

Italy is good too and even some parts of Spain as long as you aren’t trying to go north to south or vice versa.

With our relatively small geography surely we should be doing better than this?

4 hours ago, Westie1889 said:

In a perfect world yes I would too but I travel too much to allow lots of room for error or I would spend half my week in train stations and airports hanging around etc

tbf the direct train is very reliable, I usually aim to get there 1 hour minimum before my flight and haven’t missed one yet.

I expect I will use Manchester less if they change things and will fly out of London more as I’m down there every Monday in the office.

It seems typical of UK infrastructure projects, to make something better we will make something else worse - crazy really.

Most airports in Europe I use have really good public transport connections for the wider area, In Germany the inter city connections have airports as key hubs so you can go directly to most places really quickly after you land.

Italy is good too and even some parts of Spain as long as you aren’t trying to go north to south or vice versa.

With our relatively small geography surely we should be doing better than this?

Over 10 years usage, I would say that I have had around 10% of the early morning trains trom Sheffield cancelled.

8 hours ago, enntee said:

Over 10 years usage, I would say that I have had around 10% of the early morning trains trom Sheffield cancelled.

Wow 10% that’s huge, I must have been lucky.

I see quite a few delays on the Northern services at Dore but hopefully that gets sorted when they finally carry out the work they have planned, although saying that it was originally planned for 2017 I think so don’t hold your breath.

I have never caught the early morning trains and have always gone by car for the early mornings

To be honest I have always preferred to be at the airport early and as I fly business class then I have the lounge to sit in and relax have a shower and a meal etc

16 minutes ago, Bigal1 said:

I have never caught the early morning trains and have always gone by car for the early mornings

To be honest I have always preferred to be at the airport early and as I fly business class then I have the lounge to sit in and relax have a shower and a meal etc

Yes for early morning flights I have always driven....because you cannot trust the train to turn up. Oh well with no train at all at least we would know where we stand in future!

11 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Yes for early morning flights I have always driven....because you cannot trust the train to turn up. Oh well with no train at all at least we would know where we stand in future!

Not just in the morning last time I flew from Manchester the train at around 14.00 did not turn  up.  Personally I am not over concerned about the lack of a through train (nice as it is) as long as there are more seats on the Liverpool train (like an extra carriage at least)

In contrast to other people's experience,  I have found the Manchester Airport direct  train extremely useful, popular and reliable.
I have used it on business for a number of years on different days of the week, mostly in the early mornings.
I for one would be extremely disappointed if it were to be removed.
Firstly,  for the inconvenience caused to so many travellers, especially those with significant amounts of luggage or with disability and secondly, for the message sent out that, once again, Sheffield is not considered important enough to have a direct rail link to its nearest major air hub.
I'm also sad that this possible proposal appears to be so meekly accepted by many.

24 minutes ago, andingmen said:

In contrast to other people's experience,  I have found the Manchester Airport direct  train extremely useful, popular and reliable.
I have used it on business for a number of years on different days of the week, mostly in the early mornings.
Firstly,  for the inconvenience caused to so many travellers, especially those with significant amounts of luggage or with disability and secondly, for the message sent out that, once again, Sheffield is not considered important enough to have a direct rail link to its nearest major air hub.
I'm also sad that this possible proposal appears to be so meekly accepted by many.

I don't think it is. The issue is that no matter how loud Sheffield shouts, we are just not considered important by the nation.

3 hours ago, andingmen said:

Totally agree, we should have more connectivity not less - so much for the Northern Powerhouse.

Its not just Sheffield but all the areas to the East as the train originates in Cleethorpes.

Most people traveling regularly on business don’t have the time or inclination  to waste hanging around the airport unnecessarily, it’s another blow to productivity caused by a poor transport system.

I get the whole line and Piccadilly needs improving but to cut off a direct airport route is a major retrogressive step IMO.

Fact remains that Sheffield is always an afterthought and sadly 3rd class  in most areas

i don’t hear of this council kicking off in big style over this and it’s about time they did so? 

Well, we could always avoid flying, which is the sane thing to do in the current climate (pun intended)