Plan To Remove Sheffield Rail Link To Manchester Airport

26 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

There is a (proper) tram network in Manchester/Salford. Does that not serve?

Yes but there isn't a direct service from Piccadilly Station. If you are carting holiday luggage with you the number of changes is a big issue - hence this thread about the removal of a direct rail service from Sheffield.

25 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Jeffrey was asking about trams, not trains. If you look at the trams page on your site you'll find

Trams to Manchester city centre

With over 90 stops, the Metrolink connects all parts of Manchester, no matter where you’re heading. Trams run direct from the airport to just outside the city, where you can change for a short tram ride to the centre.

I pointed out there is no tram direct from Piccadilly Station to the airport and that confirms it.

13 minutes ago, altus said:

Jeffrey was asking about trams, not trains. If you look at the trams page on your site you'll find

I pointed out there is no tram direct from Piccadilly Station to the airport and that confirms it.

OK, apologies. I was assuming that most people who went to MAN would be travelling by train and wouldn't need road/tram services, but I see what you mean and where I went wrong.

9 hours ago, biotechpete said:

There is a surcharge for taxi drop off and pick up at Manchester airport you're looking at £15-20 at least, each way from Hazel Grove. I normally pay £12-15 for a prebooked minicab from Stockport station.

Stockport bus station will soon be rebuilt and linked by a short walk to the train station. Perhaps in time for these timetable changes. 

Fares are about right and a reasonable option between 2/3/4 people.

The train fares to/from Stockport/Hazel Grove and also cheaper than to the Airport.

The future options would make the journey to Stockport slightly faster- so a train stop at Hazel Grove would not increase the journey times for other passengers. Going via Hazel Grove by taxi would be significantly quicker than via Stockport and much less prone to traffic jams and  particularly to Terminal 1 and 3.

We also use local taxis(even from Sheffield) whose local knowledge has been useful.

I have also used New Mills Central when the Stockport train route was closed(£25 taxi  +£6.70 train)

Hope this doesn’t happen as the direct train is a godsend, especially coming back at busy times as it guarantees you a seat whereas changing at Piccadilly makes that much less likely.

Also late at night you can be hanging around Piccadilly for far too long when you just want to get home.

It seems a backward step in the wider scheme of things, surely we should be having more integration and faster services and not less?

10 hours ago, Westie1889 said:

Hope this doesn’t happen as the direct train is a godsend, especially coming back at busy times as it guarantees you a seat whereas changing at Piccadilly makes that much less likely.

Also late at night you can be hanging around Piccadilly for far too long when you just want to get home.

It seems a backward step in the wider scheme of things, surely we should be having more integration and faster services and not less?

God did not make the direct train. And the tories are more interested in breaking through a wall that has brexit painted on it with a bulldozer than serving integration or faster service.

At the moment this country is looking forward with HS2 and a new undersea tunnel to ireland, we dont bother much with todays historic sheffield/manchester trains. 

We usually use the parking service dropping the car at the airport and then it gets parked for us.

On my own I have even once taken the sheffield to buxton bus and then from there to the airport on a nice summer day enjoying the peak district.  (yes this is extreem and no realistic alternative to a train)

But I must admit that I only used that direct train twice last 10 years and used that line more often to go to the peaks. 

Other people may have used it more often. My parents have used it more than I have actually and I would not wish them anything less convenient when they come here. 

Other than a car or a taxi there is no real other acceptable alternative to get from airport to sheffield if that train would be gone.

12 hours ago, Westie1889 said:

Actually it is trying to sort out a major problem in that the infrastructure is unable to cope with the demands placed on it. In the big scheme of things a trough train from Sheffield to the airport is hardly the biggest priority and this consultation is about trying to provide a reliable service in the future.  Having all the airport trains using the through platforms makes a lot of sense from an operational point of view - but of course some though also need to be given to those who might lose what was a great little bonus of having a train from Sheffield direct to the airport

Yes integration is key and I certainly take the point about seats on the train from Liverpool and one would hope that someone applies brain and provides longer trains (more seats) but that might be a hope too far. At the least a nicer waiting area on the though platforms and better signage and information are minimum asks

13 hours ago, Westie1889 said:

Yup. Have lost count of how many times I had reserved seats on both trains and then found the second train was cancelled and I had to jam in another like a sardine! Thats why I try to use direct trains as much as possible. This is not just about manchester, this is a direct link from a major city to its major airport. Will likely drive and pollute the peak district instead.

Not currently running, but National Express has always been an alternative. Can take up to 2 hours+, but saves changing anywhere.

5 hours ago, nightrider said:

Yup. Have lost count of how many times I had reserved seats on both trains and then found the second train was cancelled and I had to jam in another like a sardine! Thats why I try to use direct trains as much as possible. This is not just about manchester, this is a direct link from a major city to its major airport. Will likely drive and pollute the peak district instead.

Spot on it’s a major link and with the planned growth at Manchester airport it would be a shame for Sheffield to be even further away time-wise.

I use it (or did pre-Covid) for work flights at least a couple of times a month and more through the winter, it will make business travel more difficult, especially the early morning flights as the extra time and greater risk due to more connections

probably makes for an overnight stay at the airport.

I used to drive but missed flights due to accidents etc on the roads so the train is the best way.

If this happens I think that Sheffield then has no direct rail link to an airport - not great when trying to pitch for investment in the city internationally.

I have always allowed for the train to be cancelled heading for the airport. . Yes early mornings are a real pain heading to the airport.