Plan To Remove Sheffield Rail Link To Manchester Airport

Looks like there is a plan to "improve" Manchesters rail service:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/consultation-launched-to-improve-manchesters-railways?fbclid=IwAR1Y-NwT0iaYIVZHcYkMTTtHdMwyfi6_qrMM4GS3a8qL4cH5XRrAJ4Oo9pw

two of the option "means there is no longer a through service from Sheffield to Manchester Airport", the third retains it.

Given this is the major airport for Sheffield, its a bit disingenuous to present these plans as relevant to Manchester only!

Seems like as with HS2, Sheffield is not considered important enough to have rail links.

Option A(least reliable train timetable)

1 Airport

1 Liverpool

1 Piccadilly(stopper)

OptionB(more reliable)

2 Liverpool

1 Piccadilly(stopper)

0 Airport

Option C(most reliable)

2 Liverpool

1 Piccadilly(stopper)

0 Airport

As there are no services to the Airport from Wales and Merseyside, this will be the least politically acceptable.

This plan also signals the end of a third fast service to Piccadilly.

B and C would enable a faster times between Stockport and Piccadilly.

Airport users should consider a taxi from Stockport. Even better would be a taxi from trains that stopped at Hazel Grove using the new A555.

9 hours ago, nightrider said:

Seems like as with HS2, Sheffield is not considered important enough to have rail links.

Their loss.  Manchester needs us more than we need them

/s

22 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

1 Airport

1 Liverpool

1 Piccadilly(stopper)

OptionB(more reliable)

2 Liverpool

1 Piccadilly(stopper)

0 Airport

Option C(most reliable)

2 Liverpool

1 Piccadilly(stopper)

0 Airport

As there are no services to the Airport from Wales and Merseyside, this will be the least politically acceptable.

Airport users should consider a taxi from Stockport. Even better would be a taxi from trains that stopped at Hazel Grove using the new A555.

no difference between B and C for us but lets hope they are every 30 minutes

There are major issues at Manchester Piccadilly that affect the reliable running of trains  and the difficulties of having to reverse at Piccadilly for the airport for the direct service adds to this . The big issue as is  the number of trains running through the bit of the line from Piccadilly on and through oxford Road and Deansgate so these proposals  are part of the bigger picture and not just two fingers for Sheffield.

having said that if you catch the Liverpool trains then it should be an easy interchange for the services going to the airport and a bit of thought from Network rail could make the process simple (signage, announcements, train info displays and ideally not having to run the length of the platform cause the liverpool train stops at the opposite end to the airport train although the later may be more difficult) 

Of course many other issues such as speeding up the service longer trains (or at least more seats) but I can certainly appreciate the rationale for this even though it would be less convenient

On 11/02/2021 at 12:38, Annie Bynnol said:

1 Airport

1 Liverpool

1 Piccadilly(stopper)

OptionB(more reliable)

2 Liverpool

1 Piccadilly(stopper)

0 Airport

Option C(most reliable)

2 Liverpool

1 Piccadilly(stopper)

0 Airport

There is a non-stop bus from Stockport bus station which takes the motorway to the airport. It takes about 10-15 mins but is timetabled as longer to account for traffic delays. It costs £2.50.

https://www.highpeakbuses.com/bus-services/skyline-199/

Been watching this topic for a while.

Now they can lock down sheffield they think they can lock down anything they want. Turn sheffield in some sort of locked down monestry.

23 hours ago, biotechpete said:

There is a non-stop bus from Stockport bus station which takes the motorway to the airport. It takes about 10-15 mins but is timetabled as longer to account for traffic delays. It costs £2.50.

https://www.highpeakbuses.com/bus-services/skyline-199/

I think that heading to the airport I would change at Manchester P and go by train simply based on a higher frequency but would consider from the airport if bus about to go. does beg the question though would there be demand for a regular 15 minute shuttle bus from Stockport

Edited by Bigal1

18 minutes ago, Bigal1 said:

I think that heading to the airport I would change at Manchester P and go by train simply based on a higher frequency but would consider from the airport if bus about to go. does beg the question though would there be demand for a regular 15 minute shuttle bus from Stockport

This bus starts in buxton and connects a large residential area with the airport.

If you look at the map then stockport to airport is a shorter more direct route and going to manchester is a longer way around. 

But trains are usually easier and faster than buses.

I have not checked the prices yet but trains are getting pretty expensive and that new X57 bus to stockport has been running well even on cold icy days this week with cautions to drivers taking snakepass. (seen them driving on the A57)

There are advantages in the hourly direct trains to/from the Airport. If the trains were diverted away, there are alternatives particularly if the connection is not cross-platform at Piccadilly.

At the moment Hazel Grove/Taxi/A555 is not an option as only one train a day stops at Hazel Grove from Sheffield and you would need to book a taxi but you would be dropped off at the terminal you want rather than the railway station. The taxi would not need to use the A6 -just  a suburban road and about 200m of the A623(avoidable) then the new A555 to the airport.

Coming back, the taxi is 10m from the platform(stepped ramps or lifts when going).

A couple would save time and money, the disadvantage would be joining a train that could be full.

The 199 bus has the disadvantages of not stopping at Stockport(or Hazel Grove)station but on the very busy A6  10 minutes away (at both stations) from the platform.

22 hours ago, dutch said:

This bus starts in buxton and connects a large residential area with the airport.

If you look at the map then stockport to airport is a shorter more direct route and going to manchester is a longer way around. 

But trains are usually easier and faster than buses.

I have not checked the prices yet but trains are getting pretty expensive and that new X57 bus to stockport has been running well even on cold icy days this week with cautions to drivers taking snakepass. (seen them driving on the A57)

I travel free on the bus. however for me getting to the airport then there is no way I want to wait for a bus scheduled to run every 30 minutes  with the need get me an my luggage to the bus station (- do not know if there is somewhere warm and to sit there)   allowing sufficient time for the train to be a few minutes late plus the possibility of the bus being late or cancelled all the time with a plane to catch.

No for me I would stick to the train even without the convenience of a cross platform change (although I suspect that all the airport trains would use platforms 13/14 anyway) unless there was a more regular Stockport Station to airport shuttle bus.

No way they would slow the train down by stopping at Hazel Grove

22 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

There are advantages in the hourly direct trains to/from the Airport. If the trains were diverted away, there are alternatives particularly if the connection is not cross-platform at Piccadilly.

At the moment Hazel Grove/Taxi/A555 is not an option as only one train a day stops at Hazel Grove from Sheffield and you would need to book a taxi but you would be dropped off at the terminal you want rather than the railway station. The taxi would not need to use the A6 -just  a suburban road and about 200m of the A623(avoidable) then the new A555 to the airport.

Coming back, the taxi is 10m from the platform(stepped ramps or lifts when going).

A couple would save time and money, the disadvantage would be joining a train that could be full.

The 199 bus has the disadvantages of not stopping at Stockport(or Hazel Grove)station but on the very busy A6  10 minutes away (at both stations) from the platform.

There is a surcharge for taxi drop off and pick up at Manchester airport you're looking at £15-20 at least, each way from Hazel Grove. I normally pay £12-15 for a prebooked minicab from Stockport station.

Stockport bus station will soon be rebuilt and linked by a short walk to the train station. Perhaps in time for these timetable changes.