HMRC Complaint?

Has anyone here ever used the HMRC complaints procedure, and if so how was it handled? I'm about to start one but I won't bother if everyone says it's not worth it.

Thanks.

Depends which part of HMRC.

I've had occasion to complain re a case involving wrong assessment of SDLT.

It took ages. In the end, a penalty imposed on my client was waived; but he still had to pay interest for delay in paying the right figure caused by HMRC's previous non-response!

I have on occasion, found them to be extremely rude, aggressive and unprofessional. One time I called them with a problem, I seriously wondered if I'd somehow gone back in time to Nazi Germany! Best of luck with your complaint though Victor.

2 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Depends which part of HMRC.

PAYE. I have several complaints actually but the most unbelievable one is the amount they said I owed them back in 2018. I paid said amount over the phone with a debit card and printed off the receipt. They then chased me for this same amount 3 months later. I spent ages getting through on the phone and then getting the assistant to trace my payment, which she did. Now 3 years later they're after it again!

Getting through to hmrc is a task in itself.

Probably harder prior to 31st January due to the self assessment deadline.

I've sometimes just wrote to the office concerned, giving details including any proof etc if you are challenging anything.

You may find that the repeat request for the same payment is due to a computer-generated letter; a social curse.  If IT is progress it's time to regress!

I had to make a complaint to HMRC after they chased me for unpaid tax re an NHS Pension. They were quite receptive and, after I’d provided documentation, found miscommunication between the Revenue and NHS pension at fault so dropped the case. It was no more stressful than dealing with a private company complaint 

All my recent comms with HMRC have been via email. All seemed very easy.

Post is a problem, too.

HMRC now uses a non-geographic postal address (postcode 'BX'); anything sent there might or might not arrive.

5 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

All my recent comms with HMRC have been via email. All seemed very easy.

As far as I can see they don't publish an email address anymore. But there are online forms such as the complaint one I'm using and the ones within your tax account. 

It won't be too long before the only contact we will have for anything is a ruddy computer and you have to do everything yourself.  Take utility companies, they don't read meters any more, you have to do it yourself and send it in either online or on the phone to yet another computerized telephone system; telephone receptionists are now extinct!  Don't do it and they will estimate your usage and before you know it you owe them hundreds of pounds or they've got hundreds of your pounds in their bank.  Even when you go to the supermarket they want you to self check out; even at the Co-op!  Well self service is no service in my book!

1 hour ago, AKAMD said:

It won't be too long before the only contact we will have for anything is a ruddy computer and you have to do everything yourself.  Take utility companies, they don't read meters any more, you have to do it yourself and send it in either online or on the phone to yet another computerized telephone system; telephone receptionists are now extinct!  Don't do it and they will estimate your usage and before you know it you owe them hundreds of pounds or they've got hundreds of your pounds in their bank.  Even when you go to the supermarket they want you to self check out; even at the Co-op!  Well self service is no service in my book!

Might just be me but I’ve submitted monthly meter readings for years so, even before Smart Meters, I can monitor my usage, control my direct debit thus avoiding big bills or large credits. I remember having to wait in for meter readers and the big estimated bills if you were out. I think companies still read meters yearly. Pre pandemic I loved self checkouts for small shops to avoid queuing and there was always ‘service’ available if you got stuck