Grimesthorpe Part 3

The 34 and 35 both ran from the Reform chapel, one went to Pond St, and the other went to Nether Edge, on the return journey, the bus went down Crown Hill [Carlisle Rd] along Carlisle St, and up Upwell St to the Reform chapel to start the journey all over again.

There is a photo of a tram at the bottom of Carwood Road, which used to be the terminus on picture Sheffield, I've copied the pic but have forgotten how to put them on here, but I will put it on the Grimesthorpe thread on Facebook if you want to see it.

Hi skippy,

I've searched Picture Sheffield but must have missed the tram you mention.

If you'd like to let me know the pic ref number I'll put the pic on here.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Here is the photo Skippy mentions. It was taken 1910 & shows tram no 263 bound for Nether Edge sitting at the Petre St terminus with junction with Canada Street on left.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee142/johnpm-bucket/Petre%20St%20tram%20terminus%20-%20Canada%20St%20on%20left_zpsi0avzx6i.jpg

Thanks John.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi skippy. hope you and Dor are both well. Only the 34 bus went to the Reform Chapel, then back along Carlisle Rd up Hunsley St on to Peter St back to town and on to Graves Park. The 35 bus went to the end of Peter St and reversed up Hunsley St then back on Peter St to town and then on to Hollythorpe Rise.

He stpetre - That's right you would catch the bus that left Reform at the first stop on Petre St going to town, it didn't always work but on some occasions it could.

Hi skippy. hope you and Dor are both well. Only the 34 bus went to the Reform Chapel, then back along Carlisle Rd up Hunsley St on to Peter St back to town and on to Graves Park. The 35 bus went to the end of Peter St and reversed up Hunsley St then back on Peter St to town and then on to Hollythorpe Rise.

Yes Jean J. that's exactly the route -The Derbyshire Lane side of Graves Park- and neither route went to Nether Edge, I think that was the bus from Southey Green.

---------- Post added 24-01-2016 at 00:30 ----------

He stpetre - That's right you would catch the bus that left Reform at the first stop on Petre St going to town, it didn't always work but on some occasions it could.

Yes I meant if you went to the top of Moss Street to beat the bus while it went round Carlisle Road/Hunsley Street. Upwell Hill and 'the Quarry' seem a long way round !

I went to High Storrs School from 1958 - 1960. At that time I used to catch the bus on Petre st just around the corner from Botham St. I remember that if I caught one bus I would have to get off at Pond St, but if I caught the other one it would take me right to High Storrs. Obviously the routes have been changed since then.

The trams ended on Petre Street in the 1920's and they only went as far as Carwood Road anyway. The buses -10-34-35- went to Hunsley Street or onto Upwell lane (Reform Chapel.)

Thanks Stpetre,solved it or someone solved it for me,knew I went down Spital Hill on a tram in the 50s/60s but caught it at Gower st.The old grey cells aint what they used to be.Sheila.

---------- Post added 26-01-2016 at 17:27 ----------

The 34 and 35 both ran from the Reform chapel, one went to Pond St, and the other went to Nether Edge, on the return journey, the bus went down Crown Hill [Carlisle Rd] along Carlisle St, and up Upwell St to the Reform chapel to start the journey all over again.

There is a photo of a tram at the bottom of Carwood Road, which used to be the terminus on picture Sheffield, I've copied the pic but have forgotten how to put them on here, but I will put it on the Grimesthorpe thread on Facebook if you want to see it.

And my dad would wait for the bus going to reform chapel Trevor, jumped out of bed washed,dressed and caught it on the way back to town.Guess who had his snap and cuppa ready for him mi mudder.Hope your both well.xx

Thanks Stpetre,solved it or someone solved it for me,knew I went down Spital Hill on a tram in the 50s/60s but caught it at Gower st.The old grey cells aint what they used to be.Sheila.

---------- Post added 26-01-2016 at 17:27 ----------

And my dad would wait for the bus going to reform chapel Trevor, jumped out of bed washed,dressed and caught it on the way back to town.Guess who had his snap and cuppa ready for him mi mudder.Hope your both well.xx

I think the grey cells are o.k. Where did you live then ?

I think the grey cells are o.k. Where did you live then ?

On Hunsley St,top of Moss St round the corner to the left.

On Hunsley St,top of Moss St round the corner to the left.

Facing Petre Street then, about 100 yds to the bus stop ?

Facing Petre Street then, about 100 yds to the bus stop

?

Yes roughly stpetre.