Grimesthorpe Part 3

Butlers chippy top of our street opposite Wellington !

Hi bantycock,

The first pic is of course Carlisle Road with the Wellington on the corner of Clevedon Street.

That must be Butler's chippy just showing to the right of the second pic, on the opposite corner of Clevedon Street.

Even though there is fencing on the site now, there are enough focal points to be able to physically stand inside where the shop was even today. If you close your eyes you can hear people asking for some 'scraps' and smell the fish and chips frying :)

I always wondered, as a child, why the building on Clevedon Street, with the big window and gas lamp attached to the wall, on the right of the last pic, was so different. It now seems to me that it must have been a shop at some point earlier. Have you any info ??

Which house did you live in ??

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14104&prevUrl=

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14446&prevUrl=

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14447&prevUrl=

Peter.

---------- Post added 30-10-2015 at 12:52 ----------

--------------

Hi Peter R, Yes it was a fish/chip shop opposite the Wellington and

the other one was in Botham St - Endsers if i've spelt it right.

And Ashmore butchers i mentioned he had a caravan at Skeggy and

hired it out to me 2 week in august, good holidays. :|

gunner text you now. Brian.

Hi Brian,

My Mother paid weekly for a holiday in Skegness. The 'Caravan man' would call in his Hillman Minx once a week and collect the due amount. Mother knew I was mad about cars and anything mobile, and asked him to give me a ride on Adsetts Street. I thought it was fabulous and couldn't wait for the journey to Skegness in it. :)

Here I am on the left with mother and my two siblings on that holiday in 1950.

Note the glimpse of old caravans 65 years ago :)

Mother%20and%203%20boys_zpsmtiop31x.jpg

Peter.

PS I have responded to yor PM.

---------- Post added 31-10-2015 at 11:41 ----------

Hey up we lived across road 26 1st house but think numbers ran down so probly last house on right as you walked down lol did Sandra live next to claypoles then George ?

Hi bantycock,

Just spotted this and, when I read the post you were responding to, it seems I misunderstood where you lived, on my post yesterday.

You lived here then, the bottom house on Moss Street :-

https://www.hpacde.org.uk/picturesheffield/jpgh_sheffield/s10582.jpg

https://www.hpacde.org.uk/picturesheffield/jpgh_sheffield/s18163.jpg

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Peter, Thanks for them pics and info and i haven't sorted out that picture yet.

Been talking to a lady at the bus stop today and done some talking on Grimesthorpe,

she said she had lots of her relations scattered around the area.

Her name was Brown and lived in Addsetts St across from the Prince pub,

i told her i'am speaking to a Peter R on the forum but no wiser about the internet.

She even remembered going to the Vic pictures for 7d. how about that then.

I to remember those day. Hope your ok . Brian.

Hi bantycock,

The first pic is of course Carlisle Road with the Wellington on the corner of Clevedon Street.

That must be Butler's chippy just showing to the right of the second pic, on the opposite corner of Clevedon Street.

Even though there is fencing on the site now, there are enough focal points to be able to physically stand inside where the shop was even today. If you close your eyes you can hear people asking for some 'scraps' and smell the fish and chips frying :)

I always wondered, as a child, why the building on Clevedon Street, with the big window and gas lamp attached to the wall, on the right of the last pic, was so different. It now seems to me that it must have been a shop at some point earlier. Have you any info ??

Which house did you live in ??

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14104&prevUrl=

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14446&prevUrl=

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14447&prevUrl=

Peter.

---------- Post added 30-10-2015 at 12:52 ----------

Hi Brian,

My Mother paid weekly for a holiday in Skegness. The 'Caravan man' would call in his Hillman Minx once a week and collect the due amount. Mother knew I was mad about cars and anything mobile, and asked him to give me a ride on Adsetts Street. I thought it was fabulous and couldn't wait for the journey to Skegness in it. :)

Here I am on the left with mother and my two siblings on that holiday in 1950.

Note the glimpse of old caravans 65 years ago :)

Mother%20and%203%20boys_zpsmtiop31x.jpg

Peter.

PS I have responded to yor PM.

---------- Post added 31-10-2015 at 11:41 ----------

Hi bantycock,

Just spotted this and, when I read the post you were responding to, it seems I misunderstood where you lived, on my post yesterday.

You lived here then, the bottom house on Moss Street :-

https://www.hpacde.org.uk/picturesheffield/jpgh_sheffield/s10582.jpg

https://www.hpacde.org.uk/picturesheffield/jpgh_sheffield/s18163.jpg

Peter.

hello peter our house on cleavedon was 4 houses down from the gas lamp below the entry we moved to Moss st when they demolished it around 1974 then gran moved to Birdwell rd we finished up on page hall then stubbin lane at firth park! Page Hall was great in them days would not have lived anywhere else !!!! How things have changed .......

Edited by bantycock
xxx

hello peter our house on cleavedon was 4 houses down from the gas lamp below the entry we moved to Moss st when they demolished it around 1974 then gran moved to Birdwell rd we finished up on page hall then stubbin lane at firth park! Page Hall was great in them days would not have lived anywhere else !!!! How things have changed .......

Hi bantycock,

Thanks, that clears the addresses up then :hihi:.

In 1938 or not long before, my mother, who had lived with her parents at Shirecliffe, took rooms on Hinde House Lane in the last house on the left just before the woods. It was demolished some years ago, I think there was landslip and it began to collapse. She certainly would have seen a big change at Page Hall now!! She married Dad in 1938, who lived on Millthorpe Road Firth Park with his parents, and they moved in at 5 Adsetts Street Grimesthorpe, in that year. We all moved to Shiregreen in 1957. What a small world it was in those days eh? :)

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi bantycock,

Thanks, that clears the addresses up then :hihi:.

In 1938 or not long before, my mother, who had lived with her parents at Shirecliffe, took rooms on Hinde House Lane in the last house on the left just before the woods. It was demolished some years ago, I think there was landslip and it began to collapse. She certainly would have seen a big change at Page Hall now!! She married Dad in 1938, who lived on Millthorpe Road Firth Park with his parents, and they moved in at 5 Adsetts Street Grimesthorpe, in that year. We all moved to Shiregreen in 1957. What a small world it was in those days eh? :)

Peter.

remember that big house being demolished a family called palmer lived there in the late 70s

remember that big house being demolished a family called palmer lived there in the late 70s

I believe it was this one shown below. I went to have look at the site a few months ago having seen the pic on Picture Sheffield. The bricks weren't painted the last time I saw it. Another, more modern, house is on the site now.

https://www.hpacde.org.uk/picturesheffield/jpgh_sheffield1/t06094.jpg

Edited by PeterR

I believe it was this one shown below. I went to have look at the site a few months ago having seen the pic on Picture Sheffield. The bricks weren't painted the last time I saw it. Another, more modern, house is on the site now.

https://www.hpacde.org.uk/picturesheffield/jpgh_sheffield1/t06094.jpg

Ah I meant the end house next to woods !

Ah I meant the end house next to woods !

Hi again bantycock,

The house in the photo on my last post was, I had believed, directly next to Hinde Common Wood at the lower end of Hinde House Lane nearer to Page Hall Road. 'Picture Sheffield' numbers it 125 Hinde House Lane. Due to your comment, was there one or more between it and the wood therefore? :confused:

Trees and the edge of some sort of electrical service building, which is still there, can be seen on the right of pic.

I can't recall a house near the wood, at the top end of Hinde House Lane next to Hinde House Avenue which is nearer to Shiregreen, being demolished.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

-------------

Hi Peter and all, Your last picture you sent to bantycock regards Moss St

did you ever get to go up that hill, on the same side was an hairdresser

on the corner i use to live at the back then married and then moved.

was i long time as you said you left Grimmy when you were very young.

Brian. :|

-------------

Hi Peter and all, Your last picture you sent to bantycock regards Moss St

did you ever get to go up that hill, on the same side was an hairdresser

on the corner i use to live at the back then married and then moved.

was i long time as you said you left Grimmy when you were very young.

Brian. :|

Hi Brian,

The only times I went up Moss Street were to buy ice cream from the building at the top of the hill on the right, or if I just missed the bus to town at the bus stop on Carlisle Road, I could run up to the stop on the corner of Petre Street and Hunsley Street, phew, and could just beat it there.

Yes, I lived at Grimesthorpe from birth until age 14 in 1957. But it did, and still does, seem a long period to me. :)

Peter.

Hi Brian,

The only times I went up Moss Street were to buy ice cream from the building at the top of the hill on the right, or if I just missed the bus to town at the bus stop on Carlisle Road, I could run up to the stop on the corner of Petre Street and Hunsley Street, phew, and could just beat it there.

Yes, I lived at Grimesthorpe from birth until age 14 in 1957. But it did, and still does, seem a long period to me. :)

Peter.

That was Oldfield's dairy can remember hairdressers think it was the Wests who had it ?

Hi Brian,

Peter.

-------------

Hello Peter r and Bantycock, Yes i did that run sometimes up Moss St

and it use to turn round junction off Hunsley st and end of Peter St.

Oldfields dairy use to have a place top of Bellhouse Rd on the right,

ice cream and mlik factory but its all gone now.

---------

Peter, you just mentioned a bus stop on Carlisle Rd what bus would that

have been where did it stop.

I knew a No5 from Southly Green ran along there to Attercliffe. Hmm :huh: