Grimesthorpe Part 3

Thanks for the photo, I see you have finally cracked Photo bucket.

where did the trees come from?.

----------------------

Hiya Dido.

Well i'am not sure whats going on with my Photobucket,

i am still wary when i put one on it and its happen when the odd-n

does'nt show.

The 3 pics you put on further back does'nt show a picture, so i

know i do have a problem with this Photobucket so i'll just take

pot luck.

-------

The trees have been growing their for years, who knows someone

might have got some ashes scattered round there.

---------- Post added 27-09-2014 at 19:27 ----------

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/SunbeamCinema_zpscb0d4ea4.jpg

The Sunbeam Cinema on Barnsley rd at junction with Skinnerthorpe rd taken 1961.

Open Dec 1922.

The seating capacity was said stated but 1,350 was probably around the mark,

there was a balcony. The Sunbeam went over to sound in 1930, which was

earlier than most district cinemas.

In 1935 a shelter was completed at the side of the cinema while the following year the canopy over the entrance was extended.

the cinema opened on sunday september 1954, the first scope featured was A

Star is Born shown april 1956. The cinema closed September 1961, after giving

the kids a last treat with Son of Sinbad and Tarzan's Hidden Jungle..

---------- Post added 28-09-2014 at 18:00 ----------

Hi DIDO - The first picture of the three, do you know what year and where it was taken? fleetwood

------------------

Hi Fleetwood, Can you remember a rolling mill in Bridge st Sheffield,

i think it was next door to the Tennents Brewery.

There's are loads of new Buildings around there now. Brian

Edited by brian1941

----------------------

Hiya Dido.

Well i'am not sure whats going on with my Photobucket,

i am still wary when i put one on it and its happen when the odd-n

does'nt show.

The 3 pics you put on further back does'nt show a picture, so i

know i do have a problem with this Photobucket so i'll just take

pot luck.

-------

The trees have been growing their for years, who knows someone

might have got some ashes scattered round there.

---------- Post added 27-09-2014 at 19:27 ----------

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/SunbeamCinema_zpscb0d4ea4.jpg

Open Dec 1922.

In 1935 a shelter was completed at the side of the cinema while the following year the canopy over the entrance was extended.

the cinema opened on sunday september 1954, the first scope featured was A

Star is Born shown april 1956. The cinema closed September 1961, after giving

the kids a last treat with Son of Sinbad and Tarzan's Hidden Jungle..

---------- Post added 28-09-2014 at 18:00 ----------

------------------

Hi Fleetwood, Can you remember a rolling mill in Bridge st Sheffield,

i think it was next door to the Tennents Brewery.

There's are loads of new Buildings around there now. Brian

Hi brian 1941

I remember the area somewhat but cannot tell you who was where and what. I was not a product of the larger steel factories but did work in some of them through my job with a smaller contracting firm. fleetwood

---------- Post added 30-09-2014 at 17:20 ----------

Hi brian1941 - I remember the 'Sunbeam' but never went there a lot, it was a rather an ornate building, more so than the 'Vic','Roxy' and the 'Colley' at Spital Hill. The 'Forum' at Herries Rd, the 'Esseldo Lane Top' and 'Paragon' at Firth Park were all red brick fairly modern looking and have probably lent themselves to fit into the surroundings as other establishments if I am reading the 'Sheffield Forum' correctly. The last time I was in the vicinity of Firth Park, my brother and I bought some pork sarnies and high tailed it to the Rising Sun pub at Fulwood where we smuggled them in and had a couple of pints to wash them down, lovely!

Edited by fleetwood

Hi brian 1941

I remember the area somewhat but cannot tell you who was where and what. I was not a product of the larger steel factories but did work in some of them through my job with a smaller contracting firm. fleetwood

---------- Post added 30-09-2014 at 17:20 ----------

Hi brian1941 - I remember the 'Sunbeam' but never went there a lot, it was a rather an ornate building, more so than the 'Vic','Roxy' and the 'Colley' at Spital Hill. The 'Forum' at Herries Rd, the 'Esseldo Lane Top' and 'Paragon' at Firth Park were all red brick fairly modern looking and have probably lent themselves to fit into the surroundings as other establishments if I am reading the 'Sheffield Forum' correctly. The last time I was in the vicinity of Firth Park, my brother and I bought some pork sarnies and high tailed it to the Rising Sun pub at Fulwood where we smuggled them in and had a couple of pints to wash them down, lovely!

---------------------

Hiya Fleetwood, Sorry late getting back to you - had to go out?

Regard my first question on rolling mill i've since spoke to an older

friend and thinks it was Sheffield Rolling Mills but he's not that sure.

Brian.

And regards the Sunbeam me and my mates went in saturday nights,

we use to be the noisy ones, the Usheretts would come down to tell

us to shush please.

We wern't cheeky but we did call her touchy on her way back up.:hihi:

Hi clydesdale, I think the incident on ESC roof might be pertaining to the time "Beany" aka Keith Green fell through the roof and was badly injured when he went up to retrieve the football that went on roof as we were having a game on Addsett St

Your right Terry it was Keith i remember it.Also see himregular,he goes in Grapes on Gower St every Sunday.Always with Bonzo usually have a drink with them.

---------- Post added 01-10-2014 at 21:20 ----------

Hi, I think the first photo was taken about 1956, at Grimesthorpe school, I am not too sure of the date as it is a photo of one of my sisters.

the second photo was taken at Grimesthorpe sunday school.

The third one is a photo of the famous or infamous, Blondie, of Cyclops st, and Sutherland road baths.

Glady's Taffinder and John.She had a sister called Hilda.

---------- Post added 01-10-2014 at 21:22 ----------

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/GRIMESTHORPE4010_zps8c282ecd.jpg

---------------------

Hi Dido, Put this picture on here befor, its top of Cyclops st

where you lived next to knowels family. hope it shows up. Brian

I lived there too Bri.Hope your well.

[/color]http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/SunbeamCinema_zpscb0d4ea4.jpg

Open Dec 1922.

We used to walk there from the Hallcar through the allotments on both sides of Earl Marshal Rd coming out on the right side of the Sunbeam .There was a building next to it, was it a pub , maybe a club?The Cannon Hall was on the other side.

[/color]http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/SunbeamCinema_zpscb0d4ea4.jpg

Open Dec 1922.

We used to walk there from the Hallcar through the allotments on both sides of Earl Marshal Rd coming out on the right side of the Sunbeam .There was a building next to it, was it a pub , maybe a club?The Cannon Hall was on the other side.

Must have been Companions club.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/dido3438/blondie.jpg

--------------

Good picture Glady's Taffindar aND John

---------- Post added 05-10-2014 at 12:47 ----------

Open Dec 1922.

-------------------

Hiya, Yes i remember the walks, and i remember there was an old

house where the cannon hall pub was maybe it was a pub years ago.

We use to go in/out of the old building people said it was haunted

that was late about 1956/7/8. :hihi:

Edited by brian1941
Wording

I thought the old house was actually the original Cannon Hall, which the pub was named after.

I thought the old house was actually the original Cannon Hall, which the pub was named after.

The original Cannon Hall was a large house in its own lands and was situated behind where the Sunbeam was built closer to Barnsley road . the sidewalk from Earl Marshal road to the cinema was raised well above the level of the main road,at the bottom of this was the building I referred to,next was the Sunbeam.

My parents often took us to the church dances at St Cuthberts and I definetely remember going in there with them about 1954 and having a shandy so it had to be a pub or club of some kind.

rf is right I found it in Shefffield History (Pubs & Clubs), named as Good Companions Club and still open in 2008 , thanks for the help

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/4218-good-companions-club-fir-vale/?p=24025

Edited by beezerboy
new info

The original Cannon Hall was a large house in its own lands and was situated behind where the Sunbeam was built closer to Barnsley road . the sidewalk from Earl Marshal road to the cinema was raised well above the level of the main road,at the bottom of this was the building I referred to,next was the Sunbeam.

My parents often took us to the church dances at St Cuthberts and I definetely remember going in there with them about 1954 and having a shandy so it had to be a pub or club of some kind.

rf is right I found it in Shefffield History (Pubs & Clubs), named as Good Companions Club and still open in 2008 , thanks for the help

companions club was just above the garage sure it was an esso Mrs green who used to have the dairy on Barretta st opposite owler lane infants used to run the kitchens :huh:

Hi kinjuro,

I lived at no. 5 Adsetts Street from birth in 1943 until 1957 when my family then moved to Shiregreen for an extra bedroom.

Coincidentally, my daughter and her family live at Woodhouse.

Can't remember anything about mercury, but certainly remember making pitch balls on hot sunny days. :)

regards, Peter.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Downhunsleyst-20_zps5dd4161a.jpg

--------------------

Hiya Peter R, Got you a picture at bottom of Hunsley St, to the left i'am not sure

the name of the St but i know it took you down to Addsett st. Also on the other corner to the left

that took yer to Carlise Rd.

Did you know a chap called Dennis Archer. PS just pass that building is the St i'am on about.

Edited by brian1941
Wording

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Downhunsleyst-20_zps5dd4161a.jpg

--------------------

Hiya Peter R, Got you a picture at bottom of Hunsley St, to the left i'am not sure

the name of the St but i know it took you down to Addsett st. Also on the other corner to the left

that took yer to Carlise Rd.

Did you know a chap called Dennis Archer. PS just pass that building is the St i'am on about.

It's Bland St Bri.