Grimesthorpe Part 3

Hi Brian,

Terry Rhodes lived in the house next to the steelworks wall at the bottom of Grimesthorpe Road, as geotom says 'opposite the club' , and near the Old Bowling Green Hotel. Can't give you a link but for a couple of pics click on this http://www.picturesheffield.com and type in refs. s16522 and s16515

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Brian,

Terry lived in the house next to the steelworks wall. Can't give you a link but click on this http://www.picturesheffield.com and type in refs. s16522 and s16515

Peter.

----------

Hi Peter R, Thanks for your feedback, you might have seen this pictues

befor sometime last year i put on.

I'am in middle of learning how to put pics on thread so i am just

stabbing at random with any pics.

Well at least i managed to succeed with this one, hoping to send you

some of steelworks soon as i have cracked this. yours Brian.

Hi Brian,

Terry Rhodes lived in the house next to the steelworks wall at the bottom of Grimesthorpe Road, as geotom says 'opposite the club' , and near the Old Bowling Green Hotel. Can't give you a link but for a couple of pics click on this http://www.picturesheffield.com and type in refs. s16522 and s16515

Peter.

Hi Peter R, I like the picture, if you look up carlise st on left secone

big doors up that took me onto Firth Browns site.

Then across line side to heat treatement to the big heavy and light forge,

can you remember that far down. Brian

Hi Peter R, I like the picture, if you look up carlise st on left secone

big doors up that took me onto Firth Browns site.

Then across line side to heat treatement to the big heavy and light forge,

can you remember that far down. Brian

Hi Brian,

I didn't come across that far down in my working life and went only between Norfolk Bridge area and Heavy Forge offices on Carlisle Street East. However, I know the area and if you look at my post 6328 of 15-2-14, I believe the aerial photo on http://www.picturesheffield.com ref u02027 shows the area of the route to work which you describe.

The pic shows, working from bottom, Carlisle Street East, then Adsetts Street (where I used to live as a child 1943 to 1957), is shown on the left at the junction with Carlisle Street East which in turn then crosses Upwell Street and then becomes Holywell Road.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Brian,

I didn't come across that far down in my working life and went only between Norfolk Bridge area and Heavy Forge offices on Carlisle Street East. However, I know the area and if you look at my post 6328 of 15-2-14, I believe the aerial photo on http://www.picturesheffield.com ref u02027 shows the area of the route to work which you describe.

The pic shows, working from bottom, Carlisle Street East, then Adsetts Street (where I used to live as a child 1943 to 1957), is shown on the left at the junction with Carlisle Street East which in turn then crosses Upwell Street and then becomes Holywell Road.

Peter.

Hiya Peter R, Just looked at the Airial map and i do spot some area's

it was intresting, i had many happy at Firth Browns.

The pubs i went in up/down carlise st was carwood, corner pin, and on

saville st - i can't think of the pub but it was just higher up from

Firth Browns canteen and it was on that corner. :confused:

Hiya Peter R, Just looked at the Airial map and i do spot some area's

it was intresting, i had many happy at Firth Browns.

The pubs i went in up/down carlise st was carwood, corner pin, and on

saville st - i can't think of the pub but it was just higher up from

Firth Browns canteen and it was on that corner. :confused:

Hi Brian,

That would be (going towards town) either Norfolk Arms which was nearest the canteen and opposite the bottom of Carwood Road and at the junction of Carlisle Street East and Princess Street. Or then there was a pub at the junction of Norroy Street. Can't remember the name and can't find a pic, but it was opposite Firth Browns 36 gate, through which my offices were when I was there in 1959. see on http://www.picturesheffield.com refs s21850 and c01484

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Brian,

That would be (going towards town) either Norfolk Arms which was nearest the canteen and opposite the bottom of Carwood Road and at the junction of Carlisle Street East and Princess Street. Or then there was a pub at the junction of Norroy Street. Can't remember the name and can't find a pic, but it was opposite Firth Browns 36 gate, through which my offices were when I was there in 1959. see on http://www.picturesheffield.com refs s21850 and c01484

Peter.

---------------

Hi Peter R, Thank again for the pics, the one c 01484 i use to

go through the trap door if the big ones were shut.

When you entered if you took the right it took you to roll hardening

heat treatement shop, if you took the left it went to no2 michine shop.

There was another route that led to the Melting shop.

I worked at no37 gate use to pass the time house. Brian.

---------------

Hi Peter R, Thank again for the pics, the one c 01484 i use to

go through the trap door if the big ones were shut.

When you entered if you took the right it took you to roll hardening

heat treatement shop, if you took the left it went to no2 michine shop.

There was another route that led to the Melting shop.

I worked at no37 gate use to pass the time house. Brian.

Hi Brian,

I remember the trap door well, it's still there fortunately. Sadly, not the other things you mention, although I do remember.

I've posted further comments today on the thread 'Anyone worked at Firth Browns?'

Peter.

Hi I am new to the forum.l have read some old posts and I would like to contact Cornish rose l knew her a long time ago and would love to talk to her again.can anyone help.

Hi I am new to the forum.l have read some old posts and I would like to contact Cornish rose l knew her a long time ago and would love to talk to her again.can anyone help.

She has posted on here so someone will help good luck :thumbsup::thumbsup: