Grimesthorpe Part 3

On 11/08/2014 at 10:30, PeterR said:

Sorry to hear about Terry. I used to live in the next yard from 1943 to 1957. My thoughts are with his family.

Peter.

---------- Post added 11-08-2014 at 10:40 ----------

Hell Long Ago,

I enjoyed your post at the end of ''Part 2''. It was like a breath of fresh air from the top of Wincobank Hill :) Looking forward to more.

Regards, Peter.

---------- Post added 11-08-2014 at 15:43 ----------

Here is a photo which I snapped in 1990 of the Alexandra Hotel which was at the junction of Carlisle Street East and Scott Street, sadly minus any Firth Brown buildings or terraced housing. The junction with Carlisle Road (known as Crown Hill at this point) is behind me to the right and the junction with Newman Road is behind me to the left.

A photo taken on 12th July 1965 can be seen on http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk.

Type s14112 in Search.

PetersPhonedownload10Aug2014036_zpse57dc83d.jpg

Friends and relatives lived on and around crown hill/botham street.(near who can tell public house) my dad played darts for them.

So Crown Hill was actually Carlisle Street.  I never knew that.  Both my Grandparents and Father with his second wife and Aunty lived there and I always thought it was actually called Crown Hill.   Thanks

15 hours ago, jane2008 said:

So Crown Hill was actually Carlisle Street.  I never knew that.  Both my Grandparents and Father with his second wife and Aunty lived there and I always thought it was actually called Crown Hill.   Thanks

Crown Hill-with Crown pub at the Sharp Street corner-was Carlisle Road not Street.

18 hours ago, Eric1958) said:

Friends and relatives lived on and around crown hill/botham street.(near who can tell public house) my dad played darts for them.

My Great grandparents  (Harrison)and grandparents were the landlords of the Alex from around 1910 ---37.  Grandma then moved to the Hallcar Tavern until about 1943, dad was born  at the River Don Inn .

Does anyone have a photo of the  Crown on Crown Hill, Carlisle St?  

5 hours ago, gene said:

Does anyone have a photo of the  Crown on Crown Hill, Carlisle St?  

It's actually Carlisle Road. There is a very small photo on Picture Sheffield of Sharp Street (no enlargement tho'), of which the  Crown pub was on the corner of.

Yes St Petre,  The pic number is s19320 . The zoom is Copyright but I hope the page will come up below if you click on Searching Picture Sheffield. I believe the Crown was on the bottom right corner just out of pic....Searching Picture Sheffield

Edited by PeterR

Didn’t Les Masseys have the Crown  for a bit before it closed 

They also lived on Grimesthorpe Rd 

iv been looking at a old photo I have of Owler Lane School football team 1961,   Alan West, John Hancock, Philip Ward from Botham St area. Harry Briggs and Paul Lucas, Addsett St, Alan Gill, Little Lane, at side of Bowling Green, Roger Helliwell and George Hearnshaw  from up at back of the Sheffield Arms, me Derick Wilks, Southwell Road, Mick Newton, Wincobank Lane  and Graham Hemmingway off the prefabs on Wensley Street. All good mates from long ago.  

Hello does anyone know anything about John Carnell

REFORM CHAPEL BAPTISM RECORDS

For the next few months I have the Reform Chapel baptism records before they are archived . If you were baptised there & would like a scan of the register entry please PM me with name, approx. date of baptism & email address.

Under Deeds dating back to the 1920's,  on  closure ownership passes to the Wesleyan Reform Union.  At present 2 church members  are doing a caretaker role checking premises  are  ok etc   . On 1st April that stops when ownership passes to  the WRU which has its HQ at Jump near Barnsley.   People from a Sheffield Church  who expressed interest in buying it attended the final service but nothing agreed yet .