Grimesthorpe Part 3

Born 1941 -along with Keith Lemm --born same day 27 7 41 -heard that Keith has sadly now passed on --maybe a few more too ? .Paid a visit to Grimesthorpe last week after leaving Sheffield 37 years ago. But remember every house shops and people on Carlisle rd .Yes --Life boys and Boys Brigade run by Mr&Mrs Wise who devoted their whole life to the Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Reform Chapel. Philip Breeze -Barry Whittingham Norman Mills Keith Wild -who will be (hopefully ) 80 on the 16th Aug  next week . --and many more people of Grimesthorpe / Page Hall  etc who went to Owler Lane  never knew their was an old Grimesthorpe site till I accidently  met a lady last week outside a cafe on Bellhouse rd  who used to live on Draper St. --Dont know if anyone will read this post --as I understand it may not exist any more . -- good health to anyone who may read this.  

On 10/08/2021 at 14:42, John m howsam said:

Born 1941 -along with Keith Lemm --born same day 27 7 41 -heard that Keith has sadly now passed on --maybe a few more too ? .Paid a visit to Grimesthorpe last week after leaving Sheffield 37 years ago. But remember every house shops and people on Carlisle rd .Yes --Life boys and Boys Brigade run by Mr&Mrs Wise who devoted their whole life to the Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Reform Chapel. Philip Breeze -Barry Whittingham Norman Mills Keith Wild -who will be (hopefully ) 80 on the 16th Aug  next week . --and many more people of Grimesthorpe / Page Hall  etc who went to Owler Lane  never knew their was an old Grimesthorpe site till I accidently  met a lady last week outside a cafe on Bellhouse rd  who used to live on Draper St. --Dont know if anyone will read this post --as I understand it may not exist any more . -- good health to anyone who may read this.  

Hi John, Its good to hear from you. THere have been lots of posts on hear about Reform Chapel & BB in recent years. I haven't heard anything about Keith Wild for years but I don't live in Sheffield so its not surprising. Gordon Kay is still around but not in good health. Joe Cooper lives at Wentworth but had  stroke a few years ago &  has lost his wife Pam .  Alan Foster died about 5 years ago; he donated me an album of all his brother Eric's photos of BB Battalion Camps.  I have just heard from Irene Reynolds (Ian died 12 years ago) that Reform Chapel will be closing in coming months. Really sad  news !!

I am still involved in BB as President of Teesside Battalion. Hope you are well . Will PM you with my email address. Hope you are well.Best wishes, John

On 21/05/2021 at 00:51, Bowls said:

Hello does anyone  now what happened to Mick Sawards I think he had a pub near the Arena and that’s were the reunions started from we sat next to each other at school at Owler Lane Secondary 

Just read this post so I hope I can help a little bit.  The Carbrook Cons club was across the road from the arena and the Steward there was called Mick ( although I always thought his surname was "Swords" ( nearly the same as your pronunciation) The club was knocked down a few years ago and Mick is long retired. I do see him from time to time. he lives in the Sheffield Lane top area (  he did so not long back)

Hope this is of interest to you.

Mick used to sit next to me at owlerlane school in the 50s and 60s 

Was the Carbrook Cons the first place the Grimesthorpe Reunions started then moved to the Ball on Upwell street 

Hi Bowls, yes I think it was, then it moved to The Sheffield Arms, then to The Ball Inn and one was held at the 

British Legion Club in Chapletown.

If you check on 'facebook',   look for 'I'm from Grimesthorpe, and proud of it' there's talk of another reunion

at the Wincobank Hotel, on Newman Road.

GRIMESTHORPE WESLEYAN REFORM CHAPEL CLOSING SERVICE

Very sadly I have to tell you that Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Reform Chapel is to close after 170 of service to the people of Grimesthorpe . The original church was built in 1851 . In 1887 it was decided a larger building was needed &   the  Church you see today was built alongside the old one  which became   the present  schoolroom .  The Church was home to the 53rd Sheffield  Company of The Boys Brigade started in  1932 &  a Company of The Girls Brigade started  in 1934. 

A  Closing Thanksgiving service  for present & past members & friends will be held in the Church  at 3pm on Saturday 25th September.  

Can anyone remember John Carnell he went to Owler Lane sec modern from 1958to62 he lived on Chambers Lane

Saw him a few years ago, he was an electrician with Sheffield Council.  I think he was living Hackenthorpe/ Frechville area.

The last time I spoke to him I think he was in Shircliffe tip as a skip

driver for the council 

The last time I spoke to him I think he was in Shircliffe tip as a skip

driver for the council 

Can anyone remember George Broadheadthe last time I spoke to him was one the last reunions at the Ball

And he went to Owler Lane sec school