Grimesthorpe Part 3

I

1 hour ago, Bowls said:

The Allen family that lived on Norman Street was at the top of Newhall Road were the number 5bus turned around to go back to Southey Green 

I've gone as far as I can to get closer to this person but unable to make any  progress , so I will move onto something else . Next is to put together  a list of the pubs in the family, some you will know.   Thanks for trying it, is appreciated  

Regards Beezerboy

Edited by beezerboy
Punctuation

the Allen family on Norman st was a big one 

That' not unusually in years gone by, especially in the late 1800's -early 1900's,  All work, no car , candle or gas light, no tv, not much radio but plenty of pubs . What else is there to do that  that will make you grit your teeth and put a smile on your face. 

You need solid leads to trace someone ,  you can't just investigate every  name that's the same , there has to be a reasonable chance you're heading in the right direction . 

I realise that this family were located in the general area of the one William Allan's parents lived, but so were many others. What would be nice if one of these people has read this thread and could help.  Us

Hi I now this is nothing to do with grimesthorpe but John Arthur Allen son also called John Arthur Allen ran the Billiards hall on Newhall Road just over the bridge going to Attercliffe he lived on the road at the side of Stanithorth Road then moved to Don Road 

3 hours ago, Bowls said:

Hi I now this is nothing to do with grimesthorpe but John Arthur Allen son also called John Arthur Allen ran the Billiards hall on Newhall Road just over the bridge going to Attercliffe he lived on the road at the side of Stanithorth Road then moved to Don Road 

Of course it has a connection to Grimesthorpe, His family lived in the Alms houses  that were around Bland , Adsett & Carlisle St East and he was born there. His sister Rosetta is a big deal in our research ,  even though the family knew her very well her early life and family were difficult to track. She had a shop on Grimesthorpe Rd up  by Margate street and later lower down at #770. My wife's family lived on Cyclops, Botham & Hunsley Street from the 1890's and I was hoping that maybe someone in the Allen family still took a look at this thread and could help. 

Beeper to I think have the wrong Allen’s family John Arthur Allen jun was born in 1898 I think he was born in Alfred Road the family lived at 15Norman Street he got wed in 1920 and lived on the road next to the Staniforth Arms pub  then he lived on Don Road he died in I think 1947 he didn’t have a sister called Rosetta hope it helps you 

Hello beezeebro the  John Arthur Allen I know was married to a Margaret Costello and they got married in 1919 I think she was Irish and when they first got married they lived her mother 

On 11/05/2021 at 16:10, Bowls said:

Hello beezeebro the  John Arthur Allen I know was married to a Margaret Costello and they got married in 1919 I think she was Irish and when they first got married they lived her mother 

If they are as  Irish as the family I am tracking, it's probably over 250 years ago.

43 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Some costellos lived at firth Park on Downham Rd and a John costello lived at longley Park! 

Longley Lane

Hello does anyone  now what happened to Mick Sawards I think he had a pub near the Arena and that’s were the reunions started from we sat next to each other at school at Owler Lane Secondary 

On 08/05/2021 at 14:27, gaz 786 said:

Looking forward to this 🤞

As I said,  here are  the pubs that were at some time licensed to my bygone relatives. 

The primary person was my great grandad Henry Harrison , he and his wife were married whist in service to Thomas Firth ( you've heard of him) as a groom and household duties .Their first pub was The Grapes , Trippet Lane in 1899then as follows:-

Royds Inn Attercliffe Rd    about 1909

Beer house 21 Adsetts St (maybe Albion ?)

Alexandra, Carlisle St East, 1918-1924. The license was then passed on to one of my grandads until it was again transferred to my grandmother Clara until around 1942.

Hallcar Tavern ( also known as Hudson Arms) grandma Clara 1942 

Sheffield Arms, Joseph H Harrison, brother of Clara Harrison 1923-1939 

I always knew my father lived in a pub but was surprise to find he was born at the River Don Inn (1916) ,Janson and Brightside lane which I passed many times as I word at E.S.C , at all three sides, doing night shift at what was called the New Shop behind the pub.

There is a chance in 1944 the Robin Hood (Grimesthorpe Tavern), 46 Ellesmere Rd was also connected to our family but as yet to be confirmed. 

I had to pass the Hallcar every time I left home, there was no other way, It often took an hour to get to the bus stop at Carwood Rd. Every  other Friday night I used to meet with a workmate in the Sheffield Arms for a game of snooker in the late 70's early 80's but I regret to say that I never went in the Alex, for me that is a big mistake.

'"

Sorry to hear of the passing of Terry Jessop after short illness, god bless him