Grimesthorpe Part 3

cat61   passed on about 2yrs ago . rf 2690  dad was also a cousin .

On 04/05/2021 at 16:26, Jean J said:

Hi Peter I have just picked on a post of April 7.  I left school Easter 1958, Mr Turner was also my geography teacher, my main teacher was Mr Rotherham     (Doc) . Dick Mellon the bookie was my late husbands uncle  Andy Mellon was his cousin, his name was Samuel  Henry ( S H J )   he was from Alfred Road he was born at no 78 , from there he moved to Grimesthorpe . He told me Dick Mellon was the first to have a car down there  and as kids he used take them for a ride.      Jean J

Hi Jean, I would have loved a ride in the Austin Sheerline which I believe belonged to Dick Mellon. However Mr Turner (Pop) gave me a ride down to school once. He saw me when he was getting his Austin A40 Devon out at Firth Park. Here's a pic of the bookie's car in the same colour I saw as a child on Adsetts Street outside the Vic. in the early '50s..... Austin_Sheerline_A125_1950.jpg (2500×1519) (wikimedia.org)

Edited by PeterR

Can anyone help , I am doing some Ancestry of the relations and one person has me stumped. He born at the Alms houses on Carlisle St in1893 and had moved to Newhall Rd by 1901 and does not show with family on the 1911 census at age 18.

His name is William Allen, father George, mother Emma Hall and nearest born brother Ernest married a May Holmes and lived and died (1965) in  Aston.  He was along time member of the Salvation Army becoming a Brigadier and Liaison officer in London.  Wife's name unknown but we believe they had two daughters, Christine and Ruth (could be adopted by them) He moved further south and lived in the Worthing area. We know he survived post1966 because we have a postcard he sent from a visit to Jerusalem with their names on.  

His brother Herbert and wife Nellie  lived at 46 Cyclops St at least to 1939

Any help or clues would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Edited by beezerboy
Edit

In 1911 there is a William Allen age 19 table blade grinder living with Mrs Emma Spink widow & scissor dresser  at 20 Sylvester St. Maybe he had been apprenticed to her dead husband ? Might that be him ?

There was two Allen family’s lived on Cyclops Street one at 46 and one at 32 not related to one another going back to Owler lane didn’t Mr Wilson have class in the hall with scenes in front of the class 

6 hours ago, johnpm said:

In 1911 there is a William Allen age 19 table blade grinder living with Mrs Emma Spink widow & scissor dresser  at 20 Sylvester St. Maybe he had been apprenticed to her dead husband ? Might that be him ?

Thanks ,moves like like that happened a lot in those days, I will certainly check to see where it leads.

Nice try but unfortunately he is actually age 49. Thanks again. There is also a William Allan in Tiverton boarding with another Sally Ann man but doesn'tseem to help.

Edited by beezerboy
Additional info

There was a William Allen at 17Norman Street Attercliff farther John Arthur Mother Fanny née Haugh 

1 hour ago, Bowls said:

There was a William Allen at 17Norman Street Attercliff farther John Arthur Mother Fanny née Haugh 

Not him , the father is George, Allan, mother Emma (nee Hall), from Alms Houses they move to Newall Rd then Sanderson St. William was the youngest of a large family , the next younger one was Ernest who married  a May Holmes (also from Cyclops St I think)and ended up in Aston.

What number Cyclops Street did May Holmes live and what time the houses on the left side walking up the street were bigger than on the right hand side it made you wonder how families with big families lived there 

2 hours ago, Bowls said:

What number Cyclops Street did May Holmes live and what time the houses on the left side walking up the street were bigger than on the right hand side it made you wonder how families with big families lived there 

Sorry I don't know but would have been  about 1920

There was a family called Allen lived at the side of Upwell street  I don't know the parents names but they had a daughter called Grace 

The Allen family that lived on Norman Street was at the top of Newhall Road were the number 5bus turned around to go back to Southey Green