Grimesthorpe Part 3

18 hours ago, St Petre said:

Makes me wonder what is the nearest open pub to Grimesthorpe. Brightside, Wincobank or the Normanton on Grimesthorpe Road, Pitsmoor ?

Yes saddly, all the pubs are gone, Grimesthorpe Rd/Upwell st area.  Nearest  pub Upwell St area is the 1812, Arena Square, or the Railway, at Brightside,   and Grimesthorpe Rd is the Ellesmere .

The Ball was the last to close, and that was 2 christmas's ago.

So sad when you think how many there were.

Hi wensley 1 nice to hear from another pre fab Dweller yes great times wincobank hill I could walk over from pre fab to my old house on wincobank lane grimesthorpe funny as as a kid I lived each side on wincobank hill gun search light stands reseavior sledging down slope's on cardboard great days

2 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

Is the little pub opposite rileys shut down now as well? 

Sheffield Arms? It’s been a supermarket for a few years now.

On 24/03/2021 at 14:32, gaz 786 said:

Just googled Ludlow St grimesthorpe and saw  Burngreave messenger advert 20 plots of land adjacent to Botham St Ruthin St and Ludlow St but still cannot recall it! 

If you know anyone who has a copy of Alan Billam's book "Grimesthorpe|", you'll find the map on page 96.

On 01/04/2021 at 20:07, gaz 786 said:

No the one bottom of jenkin Road opposite the river Don neer to. Where Bridge Inn was used to go in with Dave Bevan now an then? Wonder if he's still around 🤔

That’s the crown and I believe it’s still open (bar Covid restrictions).

David Layne (ex Wednesday) had it for years. 

On 30/03/2021 at 19:32, gaz 786 said:

Is the little pub opposite rileys shut down now as well? 

Do you mean the Wentworth, opposite Broughton Lane, yes, thats still open but it had strange opening times.

On 01/04/2021 at 20:07, gaz 786 said:

No the one bottom of jenkin Road opposite the river Don neer to. Where Bridge Inn was used to go in with Dave Bevan now an then? Wonder if he's still around 🤔

Oh, you mean the Crown, it was before the last lockdown, if it will open again , I don't know?

On 11/02/2017 at 11:24, PeterR said:

Hi Jean j, cat631 and Johnpm,

Thankyou for putting the school pic on ladies. I've located you bottom right Jean. Obviously mine was a different class and possibly a different year. I left xmas 1958. Unfortunately I don't recall anyone but it's possible some went to Grimesthorpe Junior and possibly Owler Lane Infants as I did. There were so many children, plus the odd memory box isn't the same now :)

I've mentioned a few on my photo on a previous post who you knew Jean and I met Pat Evans a few years ago. She was a care assistant at a home near Chesterfield.

I went on a day trip to Stratford on Avon too. Maybe it was the same trip. I recall that we stopped off near Edwinstowe to see the Major Oak in Sherwood forest. If the reason for the trip was explained to us it went over my head. Don't remember doing Shakespeare :) All I remember is enjoying seeing Robin Hood's tree and the river in Stratford.

Mr Turner (Pop) was my geography teacher.

Very interesting about the bookie.

Peter.

Hi, Excuse me. I'm brand new to this site.

I've noticed your talking about the bookie (Dick Mellon) Bookie.

He's actually my Grand dad. He passed away 1970 when I was 8 year old. My dad Andy Mellon.

On 11/02/2017 at 19:55, rf2690 said:

Think the Austin Sheerline could have belonged to my Dads uncle,he was a bookie.Perhaps JeanJ could shed some light on it.

Hi, Small World : Bookie - Dick Mellon  is my Grandad. My dad's name Andy, 

At that time I expect they lived on Alfred Road. 

On 16/03/2021 at 13:22, Alec Roskell said:

Hi. Are you familiar with the Froggatts who lived on Taplin Rd /St Hillsborough Sheffield I'm asking because my mother was born a Froggatt in Plymouth to John Redfern Froggatt who was in the Navy and I believe was born in Sheffield he was married to a lady whose maiden name was Kendal. 

Regards Alec Roskell 

Hi I'm asking this as my mother's father was John Redfern Froggatt born in Sheffield 1900 presumably related to Redfern Froggatt Sheffield Wednesday also his father Frank and cousin Jack Portsmouth fc my grandfather had a son John RS Froggatt who I believe fought in the Borneo confrontation 1963 - 1966.

Mr Turner was my teacher after MrWilson he took us on trips I remember going on a Borge to Goole and down Treeton pit he also took us for sport does anyone remember Mr Cliff he used to have brown slipper to wack you with Oh Happy Days 

On 03/04/2021 at 18:32, Fictional Pulp said:

That’s the crown and I believe it’s still open (bar Covid restrictions).

David Layne (ex Wednesday) had it for years. 

I thought David Lane had the top hat near brown Baileys and Peter Swan had a pub on Attercliffe Road 

Hi Peter I have just picked on a post of April 7.  I left school Easter 1958, Mr Turner was also my geography teacher, my main teacher was Mr Rotherham     (Doc) . Dick Mellon the bookie was my late husbands uncle  Andy Mellon was his cousin, his name was Samuel  Henry ( S H J )   he was from Alfred Road he was born at no 78 , from there he moved to Grimesthorpe . He told me Dick Mellon was the first to have a car down there  and as kids he used take them for a ride.      Jean J