Grimesthorpe Part 3

The Beeroff on the hillside was Allotts 

10 hours ago, Bhomer said:

Thanks for and geo and gas not many remember hillside as was called used to go down steps on to upwell street there was 2 sets opposite shop offy on hillside cannot   think name of offy they still there don't know remember cottams yard with horses kept for drags. Had contract with English steel moving steel I work English steel 1961 apprentice left owler lane Xmas 1960 with woods Bob guest and few more forgot names

the hillside brings back many happy memories  my old mate John Owen lived on there, we spent many times hung around there at nights, with Jeff Parker, Roger Williams, (spot), Mick Newton, Steve Highfield, and the rest off our mob. We were all members of the boys club, great times.

Thanks for reply scrapman and southweller had forgot some names but think Steve Highfield lived in last house before wincobank hill we lived in big house facing out on raised up area cottages ran at a t shape from ours to last house before wincobank hill also were two houses on Corby road  on road leading to child's knew spot and other bills Pete woodhead lived hillside

I know the guy that married the girl from the shop on corner of Botham street Peter Street his name was Vic Frettwell 

I know the person that lived in the house with the round brickwork on the corner of Botham street and Peter Street her name was Mrs Smith she lived there till 66 then a chap called Bert Bennett and he lived there till they pulled them down 

I think the off licence on hill side was Allotts , there was a lady called Mrs Morley who lived up there, also twin girls their surname was Owen

Beehive pub at Reform Chapel had a football team and they played on Wincobank grounds in the 60s didn’t Grimesthorpe Rd finish at Gower St and wasn’t Sadan St near All saints church 

17 hours ago, Bowls said:

Beehive pub at Reform Chapel had a football team and they played on Wincobank grounds in the 60s didn’t Grimesthorpe Rd finish at Gower St and wasn’t Sadan St near All saints church 

Yes Bowls, Grimesthorpe Road ran from Gower Street to Upwell Lane and Sedan Street (still there) runs from Lyons Street (opposite the now St. Peters church) to Carwood Road. Incidentally, how many pubs are still open in Grimesthorpe, just the Ball Inn ?

Hi I don’t think there’s any pubs open in grimesthorpe that I now  off 

9 minutes ago, Bowls said:

Hi I don’t think there’s any pubs open in grimesthorpe that I now  off 

Makes me wonder what is the nearest open pub to Grimesthorpe. Brightside, Wincobank or the Normanton on Grimesthorpe Road, Pitsmoor ?

Any one lived in pre fabs wensley st and area I lived at 77 wensley st  that was top end not far from tip as we called it had gate on think belonged to esc  but could walk round gate to wincobank hill also short cut to flower estate used to play footie back of our house as was bit grass there road curved round down to hinde st

Hi Bhomer.  I lived at no 47 further down hill.  I remember there were lots of little escape routes alongside hill.  You had to know where they were because they weren't obvious.  We thought the hill was countryside.  Never entered our heads we were in the middle of factories!! Still had happy lives though.