Grimesthorpe Part 3

39 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

That's Botham St where clock was 

Where was the clock, was it a free standing  thing (on a pole) near the to town bus stop  that was between Hunsley Street and Botham Street ?

43 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

That's Botham St where clock was 

That's right, from the camera at top of Moss Street to Botham St where the clock was on the left Is LUDLOW STREET

Edited by beezerboy

18 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

That's that then Ludlow St did exist just can't recall it 🤔

I've been in Canada for 40 years and I can remember it . I used that bus stop for years as I married a girl just down Hunsley St.

Got to admit the map helps a lot. 

22 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Was it near targets corner shop? Did you know the cornthwaites off Hunsley St? 

22 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Was it near targets corner shop? Did you know the cornthwaites off Hunsley St? 

I only knew my wife's family and couple of  her friends. She doesn't know them either, this was all back in the '60's.

I lived there for 20odd. years I remember the buses  reversing up Huntley St so when did they change the name to. Peter St I know someone that lived on the corner of Botham st and Peter St 

I know the guy that married the girl from the shop on corner of Botham street Peter Street his name was Vic Frettwell 

Skippy and Dors hope your both OK out there in Sydney oz

Hi all I lived in yard at the back of bus stop from the forties to 196o the shop on the corner of Botham  st & Peter st was a greengrocers  and was a Beer off, it was owned by Hemmingways  they had 3 kids boys John, Rodney and a girl Patriciia.  I can't say I ever of Ludlow St .

Any one remember hillside as know to as locals .ran from bottom wincobank lane to come out upwell street also cottages ran up beside cottams yard remember seaman's living in one there's pictures. ON old Sheffield site

On 21/03/2021 at 11:07, beezerboy said:

I have a Godfrey Edition ordnance survey map map Sheffield (North) 1905. It is extremely detailed covering Pitsmoor and Grimesthorpe all along Carlisle St East. Unfortunately I am unable to add a photo from it to this comment but I can assure you that Ludlow Street was the last piece of the extended Petre St. This a picture of it.

Petre Street with the junction of Botham Street, Grimesthorpe

Map Print
Ref No: u01147
Title: Petre Street with the junction of Botham Street, Grimesthorpe
Link:  

Sorry , still unable to send map with Ludlow St but this  should give good lay out of Petre St Huts and Munition St 

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~exy1/maps/Sheffield_parishes_north.jpg

Hope it works.

Edited by beezerboy

17 hours ago, Bhomer said:

Any one remember hillside as know to as locals .ran from bottom wincobank lane to come out upwell street also cottages ran up beside cottams yard remember seaman's living in one there's pictures. ON old Sheffield site

I remember Cyril Seaman, he was on the commitee at Grimesthorpe Club, usually selling raffle tickets.

Thanks for and geo and gas not many remember hillside as was called used to go down steps on to upwell street there was 2 sets opposite shop offy on hillside cannot   think name of offy they still there don't know remember cottams yard with horses kept for drags. Had contract with English steel moving steel I work English steel 1961 apprentice left owler lane Xmas 1960 with woods Bob guest and few more forgot names