Grimesthorpe Part 3

The old grave yard on Wincobank Lane is still their, but its now just a garden and a benches.   The reservoir is still there, and as far as I'm aware it's still in use.

To walk off  Wincobank Lane, up Corby Rd, where Jimmy Childs was , is nothing like it used to be, it's now areas of grass and trees, then walk round the edge of the tip towards Wensley St, then follow the path up to the 'gun stand' is like walking through a forest. It's nothing like when we were kids.

Thanks for info re graveyard l fell in there playing spike around grave went through my arm fire brigade cut spike off took .me in ambulance !to northern. Spike and all also use to clImb under fence to swim in resoivior got covered in  ants cardboard sledging down winco hill happy days

Hi. Are you familiar with the Froggatts who lived on Taplin Rd /St Hillsborough Sheffield I'm asking because my mother was born a Froggatt in Plymouth to John Redfern Froggatt who was in the Navy and I believe was born in Sheffield he was married to a lady whose maiden name was Kendal. 

Regards Alec Roskell 

There's an froggat that lives on Bradfeild rd, opposite the club, Allen froggat

Some Froggets lived at the side of Grimesthorpe club 

Is that right ludlow st was near botham street because ive never heard of that.

4 hours ago, S4 8GG said:

Is that right ludlow st was near botham street because ive never heard of that.

Don't think so I lived on Cyclops st and I have never heard of it 

9 hours ago, S4 8GG said:

Is that right ludlow st was near botham street because ive never heard of that.ntioned on any of teh old lists of streets on Sheffield Indexers 

I have a street map & index dating from 1950's & there is no Ludlow Street on that. Neither can I find it  on Sheffield Indexers lists going back through 19th century & 18th century.

Ludlow Street ran from Moss Street /Hunsley Street to Botham Street. Years ago Petre Street only went as far as Carwood Road (coming from town) or perhaps Garter Street. the rest was undeveloped until the Grimesthorpe end, that's where Ludlow Street came in. I once saw a map somewhere on S.F.

Hi as anything been built on Cyclops Street we moved out in 1974  for house  clearance the last time I went past there was nothing there. the house we lived in was ok it only wanted was bathroom putting in and central heating putting in 

Gas I thought that was on the corner of   Botham Street and Peter St hope you’re well 

23 hours ago, St Petre said:

Ludlow Street ran from Moss Street /Hunsley Street to Botham Street. Years ago Petre Street only went as far as Carwood Road (coming from town) or perhaps Garter Street. the rest was undeveloped until the Grimesthorpe end, that's where Ludlow Street came in. I once saw a map somewhere on S.F.

I have a Godfrey Edition ordnance survey map map Sheffield (North) 1905. It is extremely detailed covering Pitsmoor and Grimesthorpe all along Carlisle St East. Unfortunately I am unable to add a photo from it to this comment but I can assure you that Ludlow Street was the last piece of the extended Petre St. This a picture of it.

Petre Street with the junction of Botham Street, Grimesthorpe

Map Print
Ref No: u01147
Title: Petre Street with the junction of Botham Street, Grimesthorpe
Link: