Grimesthorpe Part 3

1 hour ago, Marley1976 said:

I have done.. but personal ones are best I think .  Do you remember wot number they lived at on sedan street ?.. I Can remember Vaguely me dad saying about biggish house near corner of carwood road . Not the one standing still today.. 👍..thanks 

post-188-1220008324.jpg

The only two big houses I recall were the vicarage and 41 Sedan Street. The latter was owned by Albert Nichols who ran his tiling business from the basement. Both can be seen on this photo taken from All Saints church after the demolition of most of Sedan Street

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;w01409&prevUrl=

Edited by Jim Hardie
Link added

24 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Drawn a blank on that one mate sorry! 

Sedan street was pitsmoor near Malton St 

Sedan Street ran/runs from the Ellesmere Road-Lyons Street junction to Carwood Road.

On 06/02/2021 at 17:54, Marley1976 said:

Hi did any one live near number 4 think it was adsett street bk early 70s as my grandad live at number 4 For a while we think . Francis Roy humpreys tall fella dark hair . I sadly didn’t get to meet him as he passed away back in 75 year before I was born.. I’m trying to find information . Any information greatly appreciated... p.s anyknow david simpkins Robert simpkins. Lived down grimesthorpe back in 60s early70s... thanks 🙏 

Sorry to hear your dad has died, he was only a young boy when  I knew him. He must have been only in his mid sixties.  He lived at 41 Sedan Street, mentioned in post 2197. His father Ron worked for Albert Nichols and later for the Yorkshire Tile Company when Eric Nichols took over from Albert and expanded the business. I don’t remember Robert, was he younger than David?

Edited by Jim Hardie

On 08/02/2021 at 09:36, St Petre said:

I don't think Sedan Street was ever in Grimesthorpe.

I think you'll find Grimesthorpe ends at Carwood Lane , Carwood Rd is in Pitsmoor.  So that means the Hallcar Tavern was in Grimesthorpe and Sedan St is in Pitsmoor.

Edited by beezerboy

Yes  lived at 2 winco road went to grimesthorpe school then owler lane moved to pre fabs wensley at 1958

He echo that's right  Jimmy child's helped grimesthorpe boys club also demolished old victory cinema upwell st we moved snooker table from there to boys club he was good patron of boys club football team cricket trips out etc used to play with mates field behind Homeric back of bowling green pub 

Any one played for grimesthorpe boys club football also a kick about behind bowling green pub many good lads there good players not so good cricket team lembs ran boys club trips out etc

I played for grimesthorp boys club in the late sixties and early seventies with bob hinchcliff 

All the football pitches have long since gone, wouldn't know there had been any.

I played for boys club early 60s started worknew year day61 English steel left owler lane Xmas 1960 after year or so played for English steel  shiregreen lane sports field any grimesthorpe clan remember old graveyard wincobank lane left side going up  opposite wansfell road l fell on spike on grave there went through my arm

When I played for Grimesthorp boys club I think a lot of lads worked for British Steel as that’s were Bob Hinchcliffs  worked we had a decent team at the time 

Hi  gas and  7k86 and bowls   homers of page hall no relations new of em just me and late sister Anne is the small grave yard wincobank lane still there opposite. Wansfell road also do you remember hillside ran from bottom of upwell street to come out wincobank lane  cottages on there Pete woodhead at school with me lived there then gennel to boys club