Grimesthorpe Part 3

9 hours ago, St Petre said:

Yes, I recall that family (very pretty daughter), once when making a delivery I knocked on the door and after hearing 'Come in' I entered and the mother was in the tin bath tub which made me freeze still for a few seconds, 'The money's on the table' uttered the unperturbed lady.

You as well! My driver offered to drop them off next time. Many times I had to go back the next day to get the money , once her  husband shouted upstairs that "Burgons was here". The reply was tell him to F--- --f. 

The daughter was a nice girl, lived close by with her Grandma I believe.

Edited by beezerboy
added info

On 20/01/2021 at 14:29, St Petre said:

Yes, I recall that family (very pretty daughter), once when making a delivery I knocked on the door and after hearing 'Come in' I entered and the mother was in the tin bath tub which made me freeze still for a few seconds, 'The money's on the table' uttered the unperturbed lady.

Margate Drive?

I think it was Margate STREET (the old houses) that ran from Grimesthorpe Road to Cyclops Street.

On 27/01/2021 at 09:35, St Petre said:

I think it was Margate STREET (the old houses) that ran from Grimesthorpe Road to Cyclops Street.

We 've got it right,

43 minutes ago, beezerboy said:

We 've got it right,

Yes and I think the Richards' daughters name was Pauline.

The Richards also had two sons one called Willie known as gong and one called John he had a disability in his back Nellie Richards and her mother used to go into town on the p... at night though used to catch the last bus from town nobody would sit with them when they get off the bus the sets would be wet and there  be a river running down the bus this was in the 60s v

20 hours ago, Bygum said:

The Richards also had two sons one called Willie known as gong and one called John he had a disability in his back Nellie Richards and her mother used to go into town on the p... at night though used to catch the last bus from town nobody would sit with them when they get off the bus the sets would be wet and there  be a river running down the bus this was in the 60s v

Mid 60's

The mother was getting off (between the two corner shops on Ludlow St, top of Moss St) where the clock was as I was getting on to go towards town. She was in a state of undress with eyes that could no see.         Not a pretty sight before bedtime

Edited by beezerboy

Does anyone know anything about the old lady that lived at no 18Cycposst in 50s and all so number 48Cyclops st at the same time before the Sharps moved in 

The Richards both used to go out in fur coats even in the summer they did hum a bit 

18 hours ago, beezerboy said:

Mid 60's

The mother was getting off (between the two corner shops on Ludlow St, top of Moss St) where the clock was as I was getting on to go towards town. She was in a state of undress with eyes that could no see.         Not a pretty sight before bedtime

Where was Ludlow Street ? Wasn't Hunsley Street at the top of Moss Street?

2 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

Apparently Ludlow St was Hunsley St but they extended petre St and Ludlow St was no Longer needed so I read in an earlier post by skippy who was one of the £10 poms that emigrated.. Not heard anything from. Him/her in ages 🤔

Ludlow  St ran from top of Moss street from Hunsley St all the way to Botham St here the clock was on a corner street light post. This was there because this was the terminus for the #34 bus that had to turn down Hunsley St a bit, then reverse up past Moss street to return to town.

Note huts in background on Petre St

Foreground was Ludlow St

Petre Street with the junction of Botham Street, Grimesthorpe

Map Print
Ref No: u01147
Title: Petre Street with the junction of Botham Street, Grimesthorpe
Link:  

Edited by beezerboy
Added detail.

1 hour ago, gaz 786 said:

Is it where the Target corner shop was? Memory not so good these days 🤔

Sorry ,I don't know that name, but the there was a shop on the corner where the gas lamp is (Botham St) and another on the corner of" Ludlow St" and Hunsley St. Between these was a covered bus stop  The shop down Hunsley St at Ruthin St was Sutcliffe's in the 60's.

Edited by beezerboy

14 hours ago, beezerboy said:

Sorry ,I don't know that name, but the there was a shop on the corner where the gas lamp is (Botham St) and another on the corner of" Ludlow St" and Hunsley St. Between these was a covered bus stop  The shop down Hunsley St at Ruthin St was Sutcliffe's in the 60's.

I used to go to school with a girl who's family ran the shop behind where the people are stood-late 1950s early 60s- her name was Pat Hemingway.