Grimesthorpe Part 3

Hello Moss Street, I lived on Moss Street from 1952 till the mid 60s. Our address was Hunsley Street, but our only outside door was on Moss Street along with the coal shute and the one downstairs window. I can remember the garages and pigeon coits, never tried to climb up them, but recall the rats and my pals of the time using them for shooting practice of an evening. Never liked eating the pigeons, too many little bones, but we were rather poor and it was good protein so never refused if offered. 

I have been looking through some old stuff recently and the link below is the photo from a negative. A lady with a small dog, I think it’s the bottom of Moss Street at junction with Carlisle Street. I would be nice to put a name to the lady, if you or anyone else on the forum remember her. 

I have some more negatives that I hope to scan and share if this link works. 

Cheers, Phil

https://flic.kr/p/2jFnKGT

On 09/07/2020 at 09:19, johnpm said:

Its now 44 years since I left Sheffield . Covid has  meant I have not visited since last September but am still in touch with a number of Grimesthorpians. So sad to see all the problems at Fir Vale & feel so sorry for the friends I have who live in that area & have to put up with such behaviour.  I will have to come soon as we are nearly out of Hendersons Relish. I have to keep both us & our 2 children & adult grandaughter supplied with it so bring back 12 bottles each visit !!

I really hope my old church  Reform Chapel  opens up again  after Covid as so many of us had such great times there in BB , Sunday School etc & it did such great work in the community. There are only  a  small number of attenders though now many of whom travel quite a distance to get there.

Best wishes to all my Grimesthorpian friends !

I remember Peter and Celia Garrett used to belong to Reform Chapel.......possibly after The Methodist chpel closed.

14 hours ago, Cornish cream said:

I remember Peter and Celia Garrett used to belong to Reform Chapel.......possibly after The Methodist chpel closed.

Peter & Celia still attend Reform Chapel. Spoke to Peter  a few weeks ago - Chapel is closed because of Covid though.  Only about 12 attend in recent times & most of those inc Peter & Celia, Jean & Bernard Oldman & Gordon & Janet Kay live some distance away . 

On 11/09/2020 at 02:58, Phil_T said:

Hello Moss Street, I lived on Moss Street from 1952 till the mid 60s. Our address was Hunsley Street, but our only outside door was on Moss Street along with the coal shute and the one downstairs window. I can remember the garages and pigeon coits, never tried to climb up them, but recall the rats and my pals of the time using them for shooting practice of an evening. Never liked eating the pigeons, too many little bones, but we were rather poor and it was good protein so never refused if offered. 

I have been looking through some old stuff recently and the link below is the photo from a negative. A lady with a small dog, I think it’s the bottom of Moss Street at junction with Carlisle Street. I would be nice to put a name to the lady, if you or anyone else on the forum remember her. 

I have some more negatives that I hope to scan and share if this link works. 

Cheers, Phil

https://flic.kr/p/2jFnKGT

Hi Phil, I think we probably know one another, I used to live at number 10 with my parents. I remember at one time playing with one of the young ones who lived there, I think one went to Jordanthorpe after passing the eleven plus.  I remember setting up a dartboard on the top of those steps on Moss Street, and my belated apologies if it was you, but that dart that stuck in the back of the hand was I assure you not intentional !. Somebody's mum was not very pleased.

The picture of the young lady with the dog, I seem to think that the photo is the wrong way round.

At the bottom of Moss St was Fred Alison, the butchers.

The reason I think it's the wrong way round, is that the shop in the picture looks like the old Chemist shop, on the corner of Grimesthorpe  Rd, 

opposite the school, after Dennis Collins took it over.

On 06/10/2020 at 18:19, gaz 786 said:

remember collins shop well opposite the school got my first fishing basket off him cost £2 lol wish I still had it worth a fortune now 😒

On 06/10/2020 at 16:12, geotom said:

The picture of the young lady with the dog, I seem to think that the photo is the wrong way round.

At the bottom of Moss St was Fred Alison, the butchers.

The reason I think it's the wrong way round, is that the shop in the picture looks like the old Chemist shop, on the corner of Grimesthorpe  Rd, 

opposite the school, after Dennis Collins took it over.

Hi geotom and Phil_T. I agree that the negative was copied the wrong way round, No criticism of Phil_T intended as it's an easy thing to do if you are unsure!! Have just held a miirror to the photo and immediately realised that the Victoria Hotel would be just out of sight on the corner of Grimesthorpe Road, before the shops. There was only one zebra crossing on Carlisle Road. which confirms the location to me as I lived only yards away on Adsetts Street below and opposite the rear of the Vic. from birth in 1943 to 1958. 

Edited by PeterR

Sorry to be the bearer of another sad loss.         

Jean Williamson, wife of Harry, mother of Mark and Ian.

RIP Jean.

Was the Hodson pub opposite the bottom of moss street they also had a football team I think they moved to the beehive i

think the Currys ran both pubs 

Would it be the Wellington you are thinking about which is opposite the bottom of Moss Street on the corner of Cleveland Street? Here's a link to a pic....Picture sheffield

21 hours ago, Bowls said:

Was the Hodson pub opposite the bottom of moss street they also had a football team I think they moved to the beehive i

think the Currys ran both pubs 

The Hodson pub was at the corner of Draper Street and Carlisle Road.

On 11/12/2020 at 14:55, St Petre said:

The Hodson pub was at the corner of Draper Street and Carlisle Road.

Here it is but no signs showing....Picture sheffield