Grimesthorpe Part 3

I went to school with Alan Worship and remember his big brother "Knocker"

Had did you know anyone who lived on the other side of the street were did the deegans live on cyclops street did you know anyone who lived higher up then you 

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 15:37, jad279 said:

I remember the Sullivans that had beer off , The Deegans , the Georges , the Worships , all because they had lads i went to school with . Plus the Allens and the Farnells. Most of my mates lived on Botham St (and north) and Grimesthorpe Rd. We used to nip thru the yards on the inner part of Cyclops St jump over wall and come out on Grimesthorpe Rd.

Hi jad279,

I noticed that you mention the 'Georges'. Would one of the family be Derek? I know he lived on Grimethorpe Road.

In 1969, just having split from a long time girlfriend, I spent a brief period with Derek and the gang of lads he used to knock around with. In that time I recall a trip to the east coast to somewhere like Anderby Creek, and sleeping in the sand dunes before visiting Mablethorpe the following day. Somewhere I have a photo taken on the seafront there. He was a good lad Derek and I always wondered what happened to him after our paths diverged some 50 years ago.

echo. 

21 hours ago, hehe said:

ZzzzT

I knew a couple of families that lived on Cyclops Street  near Margate Street junction, the Dyson's and Varley's. That would be early 1960's.

Edited by St Petre
add

The Deegans lived at the bottom of Cyclops St in the 2nd house up , And the Georges were Barry and Russell as i remember.But i do recall a Derek. And BEEFY George , who i had a fight with (Bully)

Dont recall any names from higher up , Margate Drive was ANOTHER WORLD .😂

Edited by jad279

Hello the barleys I think they lived at no24 cyclops street they had two girls called Ann and Christine I think there was called frank and the dysons lived at the top St. Petre did you know the crabtrees that lived on Margate st the George’s used to breed pigeons they had some huts on the top on cyclops street then they moved up to grimesthorpe road and built some new big ones I think that wes Derrick and a  Ken or kenny and dad Tommy 

Does anyone know what happened to Raymond Ward lived at 34 Cyclops street then on deep lane of Bellhouse Rd I think he will be in his 60s now brother of Mick 

Sadly our old friend cat631 passed away last wednesday, RIP old friend, haven't heard anything about a funeral at this stage.

7 hours ago, skippy said:

Sadly our old friend cat631 passed away last wednesday, RIP old friend, haven't heard anything about a funeral at this stage.

7 hours ago, skippy said:

It's so sad Trevor,lovely person was Ralph.

Had only known  cat631  a relatively short time but exchanged e-mails and photos with him.  An interesting and valuable  contributor to this forum whose friendship I shall greatly miss. My condolences to his wife and family.

Only spoke to Ralph  |Aspinall (cat631) 2 weeks before he died & he was fine then. He is a great loss to Grimesthorpe history.

Ralph had just returned from a short holiday in Bournmouth with his wife and enjoyed the break according to the last email he sent me, we had been in touch since he joined this site, and we became good friends , he will be sadly missed by all that knew him.