Grimesthorpe Part 3

Thats sad I knew Gerry and pat from the golden ball on cliffe smashing couple loverly family deepest sympathies to all .

Yes, I agree with your sentiments, I remember them from The Britannia, Worksop Road.

Hi Geo trust familys well ? Last saw Gerry and pat in a pub down near sheaf. Markets cant recall name though they made me very welcome and Gerry said i got my licence back after he barred me for fighting a good honest bloke another couple I was fond of were sid and Mary grant from rising sun another diamond couple

I think when they left The 'Arms, they went to the pub, bottom of Dixon Lane, Norfolk Arms?

Hi to everyone!

My name is Harry Standage and i lived on Cyclops Street from birth i.e 1933 to the early 1950s.

Have only just got going on the internet and have read with great enthusiasm and affection some of the posts on this thread!

I recognise many of the names, pubs and landmarks mentioned on here and its been wonderful to hear people's stories and memories! I have many of my own, still incredibly vivid after all this time.

I would be very keen to hear from anybody who remembers me, including any ex Grimesthorpe heroes or Owler Lane Secondary pupils, including Peter Dunn, who i lost touch with a long time ago.

Hi to everyone!

My name is Harry Standage and i lived on Cyclops Street from birth i.e 1933 to the early 1950s.

Have only just got going on the internet and have read with great enthusiasm and affection some of the posts on this thread!

I recognise many of the names, pubs and landmarks mentioned on here and its been wonderful to hear people's stories and memories! I have many of my own, still incredibly vivid after all this time.

I would be very keen to hear from anybody who remembers me, including any ex Grimesthorpe heroes or Owler Lane Secondary pupils, including Peter Dunn, who i lost touch with a long time ago.

Hi Harry and welcome from me too. I'm looking forward to your stories.

I was only a comparatively short time at Grimesthorpe although they were my formative years and seemed forever. I lived at the lower end on Adsetts Street from birth in 1943 and left for Shiregreen in 1957 aged 14.

I note that you mention the schools. There are several threads and here's a sample post of mine from the thread ''Earl Marshall Secondary...as it was known before''. The pics are on photobucket and now have lots of adverts on. I'm now using Google for future posts instead.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=10758886&postcount=78

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

I love this Yorkshire grace - many thanks to Elaine Pickard of Sheffield Indexers.

Thank you God and make us able

To eight as much as what’s on’t table

Then God if thy bounty beckons

We’ll leave room enough for ‘seconds’,

and after the meal.

Thank you God for what we’ve getten

If moor ‘ad been cut moor ‘ad been etten

Hi to everyone!

hi harry my wife was Marie Dunn,Peter is my brother-in-law,also Paul and David.there sister Sue lives near me,and.Pat lives out Worksop way.Peter lives off herringthorpe valley road rotherham,not seen him for a while but we have just exchanged christmas cards.Paul lives about 5min. walk from him.David lives close by in Whiston.hope that helps you.

Hello everyone. My name is Jean Rhodes I lived at the Sheffield Arms from 1939 until 1951 when we moved to the Admiral Rodney at Loxley. My parents were George and Gerty, on leaving in 1951 my Aunt and Uncle Ada and Cliffe took over the tenancy moving from Huddersfield. Happy times then, much changed now. Went to Owler lane school, headteacher MrGodfrey, I was in Mr Unwin's

Class, left in 1949. Several friends who I can remember Mary Ward, Pauline osbaldistan Jean Parker Victor Peacock and many more.

Look forward to anyone who remembers me, long time ago.

Hello Jean. My name is Ralph Aspinall. We don't know each other but I'm from Grimesthorpe and went to Owler Lane School but probably at a different time to you.

Did Ada later run the Arms with her son Roy?

Hi Raphael,

Nice to hear from you. Yes Aunty Ada and Roy ran the pub after Uncle Cliffe died, he was greatly missed. In 1990 Ada, Roy myself and family all moved to Hathersage Roy died 1994 an Ada lived to 101.

Hello Jean. I've not been called that before, it's a bit posh for a Grimethorpe lad.

Have a look at your emails, I've sent a photo.

I'm in regular contact with Roy Butler who lives at Unston near Dronfield. His older brother John, is well and in South Africa. Shirley and Francis both passed away some time ago.

i wish all you Grimesthorpe people a Happy Christmas.

Ralph.

me and my brother -in -law Paul Dunn played football with John and Roy,i think it was a pub called The Hodson,Reg Allen,run the team,remember a few players,Sid Dawson,Graham Rose,Graham Wells,we had a decent side.really funny that Roy lives in Unstone have not seen him for many years but that is only 10mins. down the road from me.

---------- Post added 27-02-2018 at 17:39 ----------

Hi all, I think Edith was Jack Oldfield's sister, Sheila will probably be able to verify it. Jean.

if my memory serves me right,Oldfields were still on the go in the 90s.i was a rep.and went into a factory on roman ridge rd,ind.estate.told a lady there i used to live on cyclops st.and she side that is were they started.

Oldfields were at top of our street on corner of Moss st. and Hunsley st but I will stand corrected it was a long time ago ? they opened a dairy freezer type place on bellhouse rd at firth park

---------- Post added 27-02-2018 at 17:16 ----------

Yes ken the Hodson was on Grimesthorpe ?

the lady i think her name was Margaret,that they started off as milkman business and then went into ice cream.my wife Marie also told me you could pop down the road and buy milk and ice cream from the house.

the factory i was talking about supplied to the retail market,it was a big site.