Grimesthorpe Part 3

Hello Peter. Thanks but I'd already done the Picture Sheffield thing. The tip behind the houses on Owlet Lane was put there by James Childs Contractor, The colliery tip was much further up, on Wincobank Hill behind the uppermost prefabs on Wensley Street. It was a dirty grey colour as are all pit tips, the waste from the colliery being taken up there on a tramway. It's flat top and deep bowls made an ideal cycle track for many Grimesthorpe kids, hence why I'm looking for a photo.

I've visited the area but no trace remains.

Hi cat631,

I remember that cycle track now you mention it. I was aware of the grey colour and knew it had a harder consistency than the other soil around it. Hadn't a clue what it was about.

It's over 60 years ago since I last saw that spot.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Peter & cat, we used to call them the grey hills, we used to have garage up Owlet Lane at the bottom of Jimmy Childs tip, when we moved from Grimesthorpe we sold it to Len Slack ( the landlord of the Beehive) it wasn't to long after when one of Childs lorries tipped a load of rubble over and a very large boulder ran down and ploughed straight into the garage and the next one to it, luckily Len had taken his car out earlier

P1050392_zpsu2blcp8r.jpg[/urlThanks for your input Peter and Jean, I do remember the tip being called the Grey Hills. The tip from Brightside Colliery was known locally as the Black Hills. No, not of Dakota.

It's amazing no one was killed Jean by all the stuff that was tipped down towards the prefabs and Upwell Street in the days before Health and Safety.

On this map the tip is shown middle right (looks a bit like a bum) with the tramway running down to the colliery.

If you search Google Earth, Wincobank Hill and get your mouse pointer to correspond with the numbers, this is roughly the site as it is now.

Edited by cat631

P1050392_zpsu2blcp8r.jpg[/urlThanks for your input Peter and Jean, I do remember the tip being called the Grey Hills. The tip from Brightside Colliery was known locally as the Black Hills. No, not of Dakota.

It's amazing no one was killed Jean by all the stuff that was tipped down towards the prefabs and Upwell Street in the days before Health and Safety.

On this map the tip is shown middle right (looks a bit like a bum) with the tramway running down to the colliery.

If you search Google Earth, Wincobank Hill and get your mouse pointer to correspond with the numbers, this is roughly the site as it is now.

On the map where it says 'Colliery',looks like where Dunmow Road is now.

Does anyone know the start & finish dates for Grimesthorpe Colliery?

Hi cat631 and Jean,

Thanks for the map cat631. The area certainly looks different on Google Earth to what I recall from 60 years ago!!

Interesting about your garage Jean as my Dad used to park his motorbike and sidecar in a yard behind Owlet Lane accessed from Wensley Street. This was in 1947 when I was 3 or 4 and I have an early memory of sitting astride the petrol tank when it was parked. Not sure if it was garaged.

Peter.

Hi Peter and anyone,

Enlose 2 pics of Amazon Warehouse Upwell st the old site gas works.

The warehouse goes far on to Colliery rd.

Can anyone remember the place going up in flames, the men on site accidentally

started the blaze. Seems there was creosote residue about and flames reach 40/50ft high.

Think it was in early 1970s. Brian

Edited by brian1941
pics

Hi Peter and anyone,

Enlose 2 pics of Amazon Warehouse Upwell st the old site gas works.

The warehouse goes far on to Colliery rd.

Can anyone remember the place going up in flames, the men on site accidentally

started the blaze. Seems there was creosote residue about and flames reach 40/50ft high.

Think it was in early 1970s. Brian

Hi Brian,

I didn't live in Sheffield in the 70s and didn't pick up on it.

Sorry I can't find anything on the internet.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Does anyone know the start & finish dates for Grimesthorpe Colliery?

Hello John. I hope you are well. On a Grimesthorpe map of 1855 the colliery is not shown nor is it shown on another map of 1901. So probably between the two dates is the nearest I can get.

Hello John. I hope you are well. On a Grimesthorpe map of 1855 the colliery is not shown nor is it shown on another map of 1901. So probably between the two dates is the nearest I can get.

Hi Ralph, Thanks for that . It didn't last too long then .

I am ok except will be having new knee on 17th July & so will be joining the Bionic Brigade ! Hope you are ok.

Hi Peter & cat, we used to call them the grey hills, we used to have garage up Owlet Lane at the bottom of Jimmy Childs tip, when we moved from Grimesthorpe we sold it to Len Slack ( the landlord of the Beehive) it wasn't to long after when one of Childs lorries tipped a load of rubble over and a very large boulder ran down and ploughed straight into the garage and the next one to it, luckily Len had taken his car out earlier

Hi Jean,can you recall a family that lived on Hunsley St the yard above Sutcliffes going towards Petre St called them Howard.Sure he got killed while working for Jimmy Childs the lorry tipped.Had two daughters Christine and Carol.Had a house fire next door to me two weeks ago,anyway i asked for donations of clothes to help the family as their house was gutted and lost everything and peoples generousity was phenominal.A Grimesthorpe lad turned up at my door no other than Les Rhodes.Was lovely to see him after all those years.x

Hi Ralph, Thanks for that . It didn't last too long then .

I am ok except will be having new knee on 17th July & so will be joining the Bionic Brigade ! Hope you are ok.

Hi johnpm - I had a new left knee 4yrs ago this weekend as a matter of fact, then a short time after that a hernia operation, it does set things off at the check gate going through airports though, other than that can't grumble. Wish you well John, I had reasonably quick recovery and am sure you will too. fleetwood