Grimesthorpe Part 3

I understand that Sheffield Battalion owned the Camp site at Skegness & they went every year certainly in the 1930's. Ladies were not allowed to stay in camp though & mum, Amy Wise & the other ladies stayed in boarding houses.

If anyone is interested in the history of Sheffield Battalion up to 1939 its detailed here in an article written by Albert Drury Smith who was Captain at Petre S t Methodist & for many years chairman of 4th Sheffield District. His son Tony Drury Smith is Captain at 1st Dronfield Coal Aston company. Sadly the history from 1939 which would have interested us was not written as far as I know.

This is the link to its history

https://sheffield.boys-brigade.org.uk/aboutus.html

Thanks for that John. Interesting reading. Didn't realise there were so many camp venues before WW2.

Peter.

Had a message today,Steve Taffinder has sadly passed away.No details yet.

Shelia how old was Steve we used to knock about together when we were kid's and Mick ward and a lot more that lived round the lump in the 50sand early ,60s bye

Sorry to hear that. Wasn't he Gladys' (from the baths) son ? He had an older or younger brother but name I forget.

Sorry to hear that. Wasn't he Gladys' (from the baths) son ? He had an older or younger brother but name I forget.

Yes he was,his older brother is John now living in Wales.

---------- Post added 17-02-2017 at 14:05 ----------

Shelia how old was Steve we used to knock about together when we were kid's and Mick ward and a lot more that lived round the lump in the 50sand early ,60s bye

He was 67,had some good times when we were young uns,their John ,Steve and the Bows lads.

So sorry to hear about Steve we were in the same class through school and hung around together while at school. RIP Steve God Bless

sorry to hear about Stephen taffinder we was like brothers for years rest in peace your old pal farrell

Thanks for that John. Interesting reading. Didn't realise there were so many camp venues before WW2.

Peter.

I had a long chat to Tony Drury Smith last week. He has all the Battalion information after 1950 & plans to do a write it up on it. When it will be done I don't know though!!

I had a long chat to Tony Drury Smith last week. He has all the Battalion information after 1950 & plans to do a write it up on it. When it will be done I don't know though!!

..............................................................................................................

Important piece of work eh John? It would be a shame if the records were lost in the past.

Peter.

Another Grimesthorpe lad Steve Taffinder has left us, R.I P. Brian

---------- Post added 20-02-2017 at 13:07 ----------

Hi Brian and stpetre,

Glad you found the pics. interesting.

I transfered from the Lifeboys to the Boys Brigade on 28 Sept '56 Brian. Still have my certificates :) I left after only about six months. Would you have been there during that time, late '56 to early '57 ??

Also, just letting you know that the thread 'Anyone worked at Firth Browns?', which was closed, is now reinstated.

Peter.

----------------

Hi Peter, Thanks for getting Firth Browns back on track, i wasn't

aware it was off the site. Funny we havn't been on for sometime.

But thanks. Brian. :thumbsup:

Another Grimesthorpe lad Steve Taffinder has left us, R.I P. Brian

---------- Post added 20-02-2017 at 13:07 ----------

----------------

Hi Peter, Thanks for getting Firth Browns back on track, i wasn't

aware it was off the site. Funny we havn't been on for sometime.

But thanks. Brian. :thumbsup:

................................................................................................................

Hi Brian,

Apparently it was closed in error. Need to keep it up and running. Must put something on.

Here's another pic for sale on Ebay of the fire showing damping down. Was going to put it on Firth Brown thread but I suppose the 'photos won't be available to view before long.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/pt9709-Sheffield-Firth-Brown-Fire-Carlisle-St-1969-Yorkshire-photograph-/361530103905?hash=item542cdf9861:g:XJ8AAOSw0QFXB5kq

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Peter, that's right it is Brooke Terrace, Pauline Hearnshaw lived on there as well, her dad Fred Hearnshaw had the draper's shop on(top street), then in the early 60's he moved to Firvale. Jean.

Hi JeanJ - I know you knew the Yeatmans on Upwell Hill, did you know the Sykes in the yard below them. Kim and Claire Sykes were twins born in Africa where their dad was in the Colonial Service at the time. I was in the Reform Chapel Boys Brigade with Kim. I know they were probably older than you although they had a younger bother John who might have been closer in age. I believe Claire married and went to live on Earl Marshall Rd and Kim who went to Owler Lane Intermediate married a girl from there and moved out of Sheffield. fleetwood