Grimesthorpe Part 3

Sorry to have to start part3 with sad news. It was in The Star, Terrence Rhodes has passed away, his funeral is at Shiregreen Cemetry, Friday 15th August at 14.45.

The Rhodes family used to live opposite the Club on Grimesthorpe Road.

Condolences to all his family.

Edited by nikki-red

Sorry to have to start part3 with sad news. It was in The Star, Terrence Rhodes has passed away, his funeral is at Shiregreen Cemetry, Friday 15th August at 14.45.

Sorry to hear about Terry. I used to live in the next yard from 1943 to 1957. My thoughts are with his family.

Peter.

---------- Post added 11-08-2014 at 10:40 ----------

Hell Long Ago,

I enjoyed your post at the end of ''Part 2''. It was like a breath of fresh air from the top of Wincobank Hill :) Looking forward to more.

Regards, Peter.

---------- Post added 11-08-2014 at 15:43 ----------

Here is a photo which I snapped in 1990 of the Alexandra Hotel which was at the junction of Carlisle Street East and Scott Street, sadly minus any Firth Brown buildings or terraced housing. The junction with Carlisle Road (known as Crown Hill at this point) is behind me to the right and the junction with Newman Road is behind me to the left.

A photo taken on 12th July 1965 can be seen on http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk.

Type s14112 in Search.

PetersPhonedownload10Aug2014036_zpse57dc83d.jpg

Edited by PeterR

Very sorry to hear about the sad death of Terry Rhodes. He was a very popular member of 53rd Boys Brigade Company at Reform Chapel. RIP.

tess is my nephew

I was wondering what the moderator had to remove? Just to let people know what is happening with Grimesthorpe family centre, we are trying to keep it open and get it going again like it used to be in the olden days. We need more groups to be interested to get some money back in so we are able to pay for some much needed repairs. So if anyone is interested in starting a group, need a hall for meetings or even a childrens party, the hall is big enough to have a bouncy castle, come and let us know. We are trying to get the bar sorted so we can hire it out for party's etc, the landlord at the railway has kindly offered to help us when needed.

I heard on the grapevine, but don't quote me on this, that some families have moved in to the Sheffield Arms while it's empty, so not sure whats happening there.

Nice to see a part three of this thread :D

What happen to page 2 i could get on for some reason, now were on page 3.

Brian

I have been asked to post on behalf of John Nortcliff, it's with great sadness that Dotty Nortcliff, wife of the late Brian, died on 5th August in hospital, funeral to be held on Tuesday 26th August at Shiregreen cemetery at 12.30, after they will be celebrating her life in The Ball Inn, ringside. Rip Dotty, a lovely lady. John can see your posts, for some reason it wouldn't let him post?

sadly another old Grimesthorpian has passed away, my Uncle Charlie, father to Barry and Tony, late of Lincoln Place passed away on August 8th aged 89, cremation at City Rd on 29th August at 2.45, r.i.p. Uncle Charlie

http://s694.photobucket.com/user/brian1941/media/Photo0015_zps780c6445.jpg.html?o=0

---------- Post added 25-08-2014 at 12:25 ----------

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Photo0015_zps780c6445.jpg

---------- Post added 25-08-2014 at 13:18 ----------

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/EarlMarshallrd_zps4d168881.jpg

---------- Post added 25-08-2014 at 13:25 ----------

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/brian1941/Sharpest_zpsef1c8c48.jpg

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/images/smilies/neutral.gif

sadly another old Grimesthorpian has passed away, my Uncle Charlie, father to Barry and Tony, late of Lincoln Place passed away on August 8th aged 89, cremation at City Rd on 29th August at 2.45, r.i.p. Uncle Charlie

Hi, Terry, sorry to hear of your loss, would he be the father of Barry and Tony Atkinson?

--------------------------

Hiya George, You might have noticed i have sent you some

pics on your name geotom, i've got a new brower and now just getting

sorted how to send pictures, so i stuck'em on any name.

Hope you doing fine. Brian

Hi, Terry, sorry to hear of your loss, would he be the father of Barry and Tony Atkinson?

yes George