Jump to content


Barnsley Road Traffic/Roadworks 06/02/21

Recommended Posts

Saturday

 

Barnsley road is severely congested at the moment, (Saturday Afternoon), with queues, both ways, from Fir Vale, (Tesco's), right up to the traffic lights at Toll Bar. The reason is that a hole has been dug in the Barnsley Road  footpath, on the same side as, and just below the  Norwood Road Junction. The lane at the side of the footpath hole has been cordoned off and temporary traffic lights are in use.

 

After waiting in the queue and then driving down past the "Roadworks", I could see that no one is working at the site, and that there no construction work being done on the road itself, just the footpath, therefore the lane closure is just to protect anyone working on the footpath. If someone IS working this is good safe practice, but as there is NO work being done at the moment, I can see no reason as to why the lane closure and temporary traffic lights have not been moved.

 

From what I could see, it would take no longer than 30 minutes to put boards over the hole and erect a safety barrier around it, move the traffic lights and then reinstate the lane for traffic. But NO... For however long it takes, motorists will have to queue and put up with delayed journeys, whilst residents will have to suffer the unnecessary excess air pollution that is caused by this congestion.

 

I can never understand why congestion such as this is allowed by the City Council and why the companies employed to carry out

the work are given free rein to do as they please.

 

 

Edited by nikki-red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect that nobody is working there today because it's the weekend.

 

I drove past this junction on the way to the city centre yesterday late morning (Friday), and I did see people working there.

 

Mind you, even though I was very close to the junction (I was only the fourth of fifth car waiting at the lights) I still had to wait several minutes for the lights to change in my favour . . . the problem with this junction is that it's a three-way set of temporary traffic lights, so cars going up the Barnsley Road must wait until cars going down the Barnsley Road have stopped before they can proceed.

 

I tried to avoid this junction on the way back from town, by taking a different route along Carlisle Street in Brightside . . . but guess what?  There are additional roadworks going on there too, so I got stuck in an even longer traffic jam on the way back 😁

 

 

Edited by The Joker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, The Joker said:

I expect that nobody is working there today because it's the weekend.

 

I drove past this junction on the way to the city centre yesterday late morning (Friday), and I did see people working there.

 

Mind you, even though I was very close to the junction (I was only the fourth of fifth car waiting at the lights) I still had to wait several minutes for the lights to change in my favour . . . the problem with this junction is that it's a three-way set of temporary traffic lights, so cars going up the Barnsley Road must wait until cars going down the Barnsley Road have stopped before they can proceed.

 

I tried to avoid this junction on the way back from town, by taking a different route along Carlisle Street in Brightside . . . but guess what?  There are additional roadworks going on there too, so I got stuck in an even longer traffic jam on the way back 😁

 

 

I'd love to get a job on a roadworks team. 

I mean, I've travelled Sheffield Road at Templeborough (Tinsley - Ickles) a lot over the last week.

6 months of planned works updating underground pipework (sewers by the looks)& including a complete resurfacing that started 03/08/2020. Come 03/02/2021 and not even 1/4 of the way through replacing the pipes, no hint of a new tarmac surface. 

No surprise really though. Last week crews were turning up well after 9am and disappeared by 2pm. You can bet your last penny there was at least one tea-break. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK I get it, you have to protect the workmen {when there on it} but why stop the down coming traffic to let the up coming traffic come through, that didn't make any sense.

Two way traffic lights is all that is needed here.

I came through this morning at 5.30am it wasn't that bad but I will give it a miss at 2pm when I go home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Cycleracer said:

OK I get it, you have to protect the workmen {when there on it} but why stop the down coming traffic to let the up coming traffic come through, that didn't make any sense.

Two way traffic lights is all that is needed here.

I came through this morning at 5.30am it wasn't that bad but I will give it a miss at 2pm when I go home

When a heavy vehicle drives close near the edge of a dug hole the weight and vibrations of this vehicle could cause this hole to collapse. This hole does not have the strength of stanage edge and lots of buses on that road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, dutch said:

When a heavy vehicle drives close near the edge of a dug hole the weight and vibrations of this vehicle could cause this hole to collapse. This hole does not have the strength of stanage edge and lots of buses on that road.

Fare point, haven't seen the hole myself just drove through the lights

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/02/2021 at 21:20, The Joker said:

I expect that nobody is working there today because it's the weekend.

 

Ah yes, we can't have those workmen working on a busy road at the quietest time of the week. No, leave it till Monday morning! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

Ah yes, we can't have those workmen working on a busy road at the quietest time of the week. No, leave it till Monday morning! 

All about cost, the contractors will charge more for weekend work as they will have to pay premiums to staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

All about cost, the contractors will charge more for weekend work as they will have to pay premiums to staff.

Does the same go for working more than 4.5 hr days 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Resident said:

Does the same go for working more than 4.5 hr days 😂

Councils often specify that works are done outside the rush hour, allowing for clearing up and making the  site safe it can come down to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

All about cost, the contractors will charge more for weekend work as they will have to pay premiums to staff.

Time to do away with paying premiums then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Colin Foster said:

Time to do away with paying premiums then.

You tell the staff they have lost their weekend premiums then. 

Then run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.