Question Your Insurance Renewal Quote

I've just made one phone call and saved £50 on my motorcycle insurance renewal.  There's a piece in The Star email bulletin which also advises people to question renewal quotes for car insurance.  The annoying thing about this is, being a long-time customer,  why didn't they quote me the best offer anyway?  Loyalty counts for nothing, so if your car/motorcycle/home insurance is due for renewal, give them a ring and tell them you aren't happy with their quote.  I have finished up with a better policy (less excess) for £20 less than I paid last year.

11 minutes ago, AKAMD said:

I've just made one phone call and saved £50 on my motorcycle insurance renewal.  There's a piece in The Star email bulletin which also advises people to question renewal quotes for car insurance.  The annoying thing about this is, being a long-time customer,  why didn't they quote me the best offer anyway?  Loyalty counts for nothing, so if your car/motorcycle/home insurance is due for renewal, give them a ring and tell them you aren't happy with their quote.  I have finished up with a better policy (less excess) for £20 less than I paid last year.

I wait for the renewal invite, tell them their main competitor is X amount cheaper so wish to cancel the renewal and bingo, they beat it and I pay less. 

I have never actually spoke to their main rival.

I query my insurance renewals and utilities every year - if im in a position to do so (you cant always change utilites if you owe your current provider)

Inevitably every year i'm never any worse off, i don't always save money but i never have to accept any increases either.

I quiry my household insurance every year. I have made one claim in all the years I’ve been with LLoyds Household insurance company and they still put it up every year.! Last time I asked them how much they would charge a new customer. It was of course much lower than mine. When they told me I said “ Right ! I will have at that price then !” 

My house insurance went up around £2 this year and car insurance gone up about £10. I didn't bother with the compare sites for the house but will for the car insurance.

My car renewal quote has dropped £1.86.
Will still look at comparisons, though.

Managed to barter down Hastings car insurance £150 last year,but this year they got me back saying they couldn’t find anyone to insure me even though I’ve been continuously driving for 57yrs ,never made a claim,no offences.Totally petty.

Insurance companies do this all the time, it's not exactly new.

My last renewal was nearly £700, I almost fell off my chair  Few minutes on comparison sites and it was about £300, pretty much half.

Clearly some companies are just out to ripoff their own customers.

I did my wife’s and mine got the renewal from privilege wasn’t happy with them went on the opera singer site  got a deal 150 cheaper rang mty insurer back. When the phone was answered wasn’t long I pressed the I’m thinking of leaving number on options. Said I had a quote with same bits and bobs has my renewal. They asked who with told them. Comes back to me I’ve got your details up I can beat that reduced my pine by 170 the pin went through the wife’s and got 100 off that. So I’m still with them till next time.

I've been with the AA for about 40yrs, every year without fail they send me a quote for about £70. ring them up and query it.

They always reduce it to about £45, sometimes less than I paid the previous year.

Why don't they send me (a loyal customer) the cheapest quote.

Wonder if it's because a lot of people pay by Direct Debit, and just cough up.