Consultation For A Low Traffic Neighbourhood For Neepsend And Kelham Island

Sheffield City Council have now launched their latest consultation, on proposals for a Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme for Neepsend and Kelham Island. This generally focusses on walking and cycling, with buses getting a quick after thought.

What ever your views, make sure to have your say. Consultation will end on 3rd March 2021.

Full details, including local maps available at: https://connectingsheffield.commonplace.is/proposals/neepsend-kelham-city-centre

I do not leave near the proposed scheme and I do not work near the proposed scheme.

So if the council want to proceed with this scheme or if they don't, I'm not bothered either way.

What I will say is, I do commute to work via Rutland Road to Pensitone Road, so please don't do anything to negatively affect that.

And can I also say that the area had in the past a reputation of being a red-light district.  I don't know if that's still the case today, because I've never been in need of such a service (humble brag), but unless the area has been cleaned up, some people may not fancy taking the walking route.

And can I also ask does Sheffield City Council have to prefix all walking and cycling routes with the words high-quality?

Gimme some high-quality roads instead, hun!  I'm sick to death of the potholes.

2 hours ago, The Joker said:

I do not leave near the proposed scheme and I do not work near the proposed scheme.

So if the council want to proceed with this scheme or if they don't, I'm not bothered either way.

What I will say is, I do commute to work via Rutland Road to Pensitone Road, so please don't do anything to negatively affect that.

And can I also say that the area had in the past a reputation of being a red-light district.  I don't know if that's still the case today, because I've never been in need of such a service (humble brag), but unless the area has been cleaned up, some people may not fancy taking the walking route.

And can I also ask does Sheffield City Council have to prefix all walking and cycling routes with the words high-quality?

Gimme some high-quality roads instead, hun!  I'm sick to death of the potholes.

Let's have both, shouldn't be either/or.

The council seem hell bent on stopping cars from using this area  After the disastrous  cycle lane on Shalesmoor  shouldnt they have learned their lesson?  Stopping traffic in these areas stops businesses from performing efficiently  stops workers from getting where they need to be  and stops emergency vehicles from doing their job For god sake this country will very soon be entering into the biggest recession ever known  There are more important things than  cap doffing to the hipsters, cyclists and  and hikers !!

4 hours ago, Ms Interpret said:

The council seem hell bent on stopping cars from using this area  After the disastrous  cycle lane on Shalesmoor  shouldnt they have learned their lesson?  Stopping traffic in these areas stops businesses from performing efficiently  stops workers from getting where they need to be  and stops emergency vehicles from doing their job For god sake this country will very soon be entering into the biggest recession ever known  There are more important things than  cap doffing to the

In the 50 years of decline in this area, cars drove through the area without stopping. The 'rat runs' and shortcuts just added to the general air of decomposition. Speeding cars in narrow alleys and pavement parking is still a problem but gradually the area has improved, the surviving small manufacturers have been joined by beer, food and creative businesses which have been attracted by its popularity with people. Historic buildings and housing have been redeveloped with some new construction now its time for the roads alleys and footways to be renovated and reassigned. Of course access is required for all the businesses and their needs,  keeping it as a "working" area is essential to the character of the area-but through routes are not needed as there are enough already.

This country needs people to spend money in the new businesses that you find in Kelham /Shalesmoor. People need to be attracted to the area by its charm(?) and interest and not discouraged by cars using narrow lanes as rat runs and shortcuts and blocking footways.

The area has huge potential, lets not get stuck in the past. The area prospered before cars- it does not need them to prosper again.

"... hipsters, cyclists and  and hikers !!" and other species of people spend money, cars don't.

It makes more sense to make this area a low traffic area than taking out a lane on a ring road! 

Low traffic doesn't mean no traffic, so there will still be vehicular access for residents and businesses. 

Through traffic can use the ring road, as is its purpose. 

Why is someone who chooses not to use a car these days seen as abnormal in some way, or seen as demanding special treatment, or seen as lower or less important than a car user?! 🤔

All those proposals look great! Especially like the idea of turning the roads outside the Cutlery works, Gardeners Rest etc into pedestrian priority -  hopefully there'll street tables/markets etc in summer. It'll encourage more development of the derelict/empty blocks round there as well

Really great extension to the existing West Bar grey-to-green as well, love it!

12 hours ago, Ms Interpret said:

The council seem hell bent on stopping cars from using this area  After the disastrous  cycle lane on Shalesmoor  shouldnt they have learned their lesson?  Stopping traffic in these areas stops businesses from performing efficiently  stops workers from getting where they need to be  and stops emergency vehicles from doing their job For god sake this country will very soon be entering into the biggest recession ever known  There are more important things than  cap doffing to the hipsters, cyclists and  and hikers !!

If you have ever visited Kelham on a weekend you will know that large parts of it are blighted by the number of cars.

To convert it to a low traffic neighbourhood would be entirely appropriate, given the types of business, cafes, bars, restaurants, culture, that are developing in that area.

Allowing it to be used for cars to shave a minute of their journey time without stopping would be wrong.

Creating a low traffic neighbourhood doesn't stop workers from getting to work in Kelham, the vast majority have a fully functioning pair of legs. For those that don't, access will be permitted, just as it will for emergency services.

These plans look great!

somehow including space for cars, and bikes, and pedestrians, and buses, and planting.

well done to all involved.

more please !

It's the Broad Lane down towards West Bar roundabout that I'll be interested to see what happens. Even in a supposed lock down it gets busy and reducing the roundabout entrance etc to a single lane will be fun.

I'll be honest, thats going to create a HUGE backlog of cars all the way from west bar upto university roundabout. I get that they want to make the city more cycle friendly and i totally support that, but this will make large sections of the city into total gridlock at rush hour. 

Unless thats the plan, make the city so car unfriendly that people decide not to come into the city centre for work.

18 hours ago, scottf said:

I'll be honest, thats going to create a HUGE backlog of cars all the way from west bar upto university roundabout. I get that they want to make the city more cycle friendly and i totally support that, but this will make large sections of the city into total gridlock at rush hour. 

Unless thats the plan, make the city so car unfriendly that people decide not to come into the city centre for work.

I'd suspect it wont. 

Vehicles using that route are going towards the ring road and they have an alternative in that they could go up Broad Lane and join it at Brook Hill instead.

In any case the Council have traffic models which can simulate the effect of what they are doing, so they will know the likely effects. They also have a sophisticated urban traffic control system, via which they can alter traffic signal timings to cope with changes in traffic levels on the network. So, build ups can be managed.

General traffic levels are currently circa a third down on normal, so there isn't as much traffic congestion. Post Covid, it seems a lot more people are likely to work from home more often, so perhaps there won't be as much traffic  at all. If that's the case, reducing capacity a bit at some junctions isn't going to have the catastrophic effect that you envisage.