How To Ship A Laptop To Spain

The Joker, just send it as you usually would.

If anyone asks you to fill in a form, refer them to Mr Johnson at no.10 Downing Street, wherein they will be told to throw that form in the bin.

🙂

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Agreed, but it is red tape agreed (presumably) between the UK & EU for something that has not been needed it for 40+ years - why now, when other than the exit of the UK from the EU has changed??

Because the UK is not in the Single Market or Customs Union.

That red tape has not been “agreed between the UK & EU”, it is the standard red tape for import/export between third party countries.

This is what ‘exiting’ always entailed (unless the UK stayed within the Single Market).

8 minutes ago, L00b said:

If anyone asks you to fill in a form, refer them to Mr Johnson at no.10 Downing Street, wherein they will be told to throw that form in the bin.

🙂

Because the UK is not in the Single Market or Customs Union.

That red tape has not been “agreed between the UK & EU”, it is the standard red tape for import/export between third party countries.

This is what ‘exiting’ always entailed (unless the UK stayed within the Single Market).

That's the trouble when I am only popping in here while more interesting areas than SF are quiet. I am aware that we are no longer in the SM or CU, but we aren't in, and never have been, with other nations/trading blocs, so must have facilities/procedures already in place for dealing with that situation.

38 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Agreed, but it is red tape agreed (presumably) between the UK & EU for something that has not been needed it for 40+ years - why now, when other than the exit of the UK from the EU has changed??

We aren't in the EU. If joker was Mexico or something (el joker if you like) they'd be filling in all this stuff for the last 40 years. They know all about it, the person they are sending it to knows all about it. 

Being in the EU was the reason we didn't have it. We agreed to it in 2016 when we voted out. Literally what we voted for. 

29 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

That's the trouble when I am only popping in here while more interesting areas than SF are quiet. I am aware that we are no longer in the SM or CU, but we aren't in, and never have been, with other nations/trading blocs, so must have facilities/procedures already in place for dealing with that situation.

No, my friends in India have lots of paperwork to fill in and I have regular calls with FedEx when they get tariff codes wrong. 

4 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

We aren't in the EU. If joker was Mexico or something (el joker if you like) they'd be filling in all this stuff for the last 40 years. They know all about it, the person they are sending it to knows all about it. 

Being in the EU was the reason we didn't have it. We agreed to it in 2016 when we voted out. Literally what we voted for. 

No, my friends in India have lots of paperwork to fill in and I have regular calls with FedEx when they get tariff codes wrong. 

I KNOW we aren't in the EU. If Joker was sending it to (say) the U.S. or Abu Dhabi he would have it to fill in, even prior to 01/01/2021 , he would be filling it in and not raising the question - as you say, we've been doing it for ever.

We knew, or should have, that this would happen, and most private 'exporters/importers' know this. A friend of mine regularly sends items to the U.S. - she downloads, fills in and signs an A4 document, and sends the items via a number of couriers with no problem at all.

Your friends in India obviously need to keep a good record of which tariff code applies to which item.

19 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

To the OP, you may wish to get a parcel company on the phone to check if you need to complete everything.  If the laptop is actually a gift and not a sale transaction some of the rules may not be applicable.  My usual go to is either UPS or Parcelforce.  

I gave DHL a call; the very nice lady didn't have a clue either.

I'll try UPS.

16 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

But it is extra red tape and nonsense.

Indeed it is.

Literally, a couple of months ago, it was just as simple to send a laptop to Poland as it was to Portsmouth.

Not any more.

16 hours ago, L00b said:

🙂

I considered bypassing this step and simply throwing the laptop in the bin myself, but the end result is that laptop will not reach its destination.

15 hours ago, RollingJ said:

A friend of mine regularly sends items to the U.S. - she downloads, fills in and signs an A4 document, and sends the items via a number of couriers with no problem at all.

I now have an EORI number; this arrived less than 24 hours after requesting it.

Can you please ask your friend, is the commodty code for a laptop 8471 or 8471.30 or 847130 ?

And will the lucky recipient have to pay additional taxes when the laptop arrives?

3 minutes ago, The Joker said:

I

Can you please ask your friend, is the commodty code for a laptop 8471 or 8471.30 or 847130 ?

And will the lucky recipient have to pay additional taxes when the laptop arrives?

I'm afraid that is a question you would have to ask official sources. As (a) my friend is usually shipping jigsaws as a private person, and (b) doesn't work for HMRC

46 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I'm afraid that is a question you would have to ask official sources. As (a) my friend is usually shipping jigsaws as a private person, and (b) doesn't work for HMRC

So you don't have a clue either?

Jigsaws?  Ha!

You had me going there for a minute; you made it sound like she was running an international import /export business.

Edited by The Joker

14 minutes ago, The Joker said:

So you don't have a clue either?

Jigsaws?  Ha!

You had me going there for a minute; you made it sound like she was running an international import /export business.

Did I say I had a clue?  And why you got the impression it was a business I have no idea - but there again, this is SF and I suppose I shouldn't expect much.

BTW - of the code options you gave, the 'correct' one is probably 8471.30

2 hours ago, The Joker said:

I considered bypassing this step and simply throwing the laptop in the bin myself, but the end result is that laptop will not reach its destination.

:D

Seriously: if UPS don't know any better than DHL, and you can't get through (or an answer from) HMRC, try the Chamber of Commerce.

British chambers have been running seminars all month with European audiences about Brexit and customs, so someone there might know (-more), even if this isn't a business/commercial call.

Edited by L00b

7 hours ago, L00b said:

:D

Seriously: if UPS don't know any better than DHL, and you can't get through (or an answer from) HMRC, try the Chamber of Commerce.

British chambers have been running seminars all month with European audiences about Brexit and customs, so someone there might know (-more), even if this isn't a business/commercial call.

You know, we Brits used to shake our heads in disbelief at the amount of bureaucracy that the rest of Europe had to live with, even the so-called civilised and first-world countries.

Take National ID cards, for instance.  Yeah, General Franco may have forced it on the Spaniards, but there's no way we Brits would put up with it, right?

And look at the situation today.

We've got to navigate through several levels of paperwork, just to perform the same action that only two months ago could be completed with a single phone call.

We're running to stand still.

I can honestly say, I've never felt more European than I do today 🙄

On 03/02/2021 at 07:52, Pyrotequila said:

Have you tried Parcel Force?

It's still a part of Royal Mail, just more focused on parcels

Thanks, I'm chatting to Parcel Force now.

They're not cheap (more expensive than DHL, surprisingly) and yes, I still have to fill in the paperwork, and no, they can't help me with that either.

Nevertheless, armed with my new EORI number, and the correct commodity code, and country of origin, I'm gonna try to and post it tomorrow.

It's only taken me a week to get this far!

Sunny uplands, here we come 😘

9 hours ago, RollingJ said:

BTW - of the code options you gave, the 'correct' one is probably 8471.30

Thanks.  That's the commodity code I'm gonna be using tomorrow 😁