How To Ship A Laptop To Spain

Hi folks

I need to ship a laptop to Spain.

How do I this now?

I shipped a laptop to Poland in November last year, and it was a straightforward matter of contacting DHL, supply pickup & delivery addresses and payment, and that was it.  It arrived less than 48 hours later.

Now I need to complete a commercial invoice (how?) and I must supply a commodity code for the laptop (is there a list somewhere?), and I need to get an EORI number (from who and from where?)

Will the item incur additional fees and duties when the new owner receives it in Spain?  It's a laptop, but it's a gift.

I've already paid for it once and I'm not looking forward to sender or recipient having to pay any additional charges.

Thanks all

1 hour ago, The Joker said:

Hi folks

How do I this now?

I shipped a laptop to Poland in November last year, and it was a straightforward matter of contacting DHL, supply pickup & delivery addresses and payment, and that was it.  It arrived less than 48 hours later.

Now I need to complete a commercial invoice (how?) and I must supply a commodity code for the laptop (is there a list somewhere?), and I need to get an EORI number (from who and from where?)

Will the item incur additional fees and duties when the new owner receives it in Spain?  It's a laptop, but it's a gift.

I've already paid for it once and I'm not looking forward to sender or recipient having to pay any additional charges.

Thanks all

https://www.gov.uk/export-goods

1 hour ago, The Joker said:

Hi folks

How do I this now?

Thanks all

Royal mail make it a bit easier than some of the couriers. If it's a gift you won't need an eori number, and you aren't a business. Don't know how long it will take - more than 2 days that's for sure.

3 hours ago, Delayed said:

Thanks!  That's actually very helpful.

I see the commodity code for a laptop is 8471.30

https://www.check-duties-customs-exporting-goods.service.gov.uk/commdrilld?d=ES&pc=8471

For Duties, taxes and charges, I would like to keep these as low as possible:

https://www.check-duties-customs-exporting-goods.service.gov.uk/summary?d=ES&pc=847130

United Kingdom to Spain
The UK has reached a trade agreement with the EU that is expected to take effect from 1 January 2021.

This agreement establishes zero tariffs or quotas on trade between the UK and the EU, where goods meet the relevant rules of origin. There are low-cost administrative arrangements for proving origin. Where goods do not meet the rules of origin, MFN tariffs will apply. Preferential and MFN rates are shown below.

You and your importer would normally seek to use the lowest preferential rate that is available. However, you must also consider the business costs of demonstrating compliance with Rules of Origin. Where the difference in tariffs is small, and compliance costs are high, it may be cheaper overall to use the MFN rate on small shipments.

Preferential (PREF) Duty     0.0%
| Tariff preference (2021-01-01 - ) Regulation: D22530/20

Most Favoured Nation (MFN) Duty     0.0%
Third country duty (2000-01-01 - ) Regulation: R22040/99

Do any, either, or both of the above apply?  I've already paid UK VAT on the laptop, and I don't wanna pay VAT twice:

Value added tax (VAT)
Member state     Spain     

Standard rate     21%     

Reduced rate     4%; 10%

Rules of origin – 8471.30

As the laptop was originally assembled in China, will the be additional charges to pay?

United Kingdom to Spain
8470 to 8472
The List of "Product-specific Rules of Origin" does not contain a description of the product at this point. The description may be found in the Harmonized System in the version of 2017.

Basic rule:
CTH except from non-originating materials of heading 84.73;
or MaxNOM 50 % (EXW).

5 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Royal mail make it a bit easier than some of the couriers. If it's a gift you won't need an eori number, and you aren't a business. Don't know how long it will take - more than 2 days that's for sure.

Thanks for this.

I did look at Royal Mail, but I think their weight limitations (2KG max) and compensation levels (only a couple of hundred quid) were too low.

But if I can get away without having to wait up to 4 days for an EORI number, it's worth looking into them again.

13 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Thanks for this.

I did look at Royal Mail, but I think their weight limitations (2KG max) and compensation levels (only a couple of hundred quid) were too low.

But if I can get away without having to wait up to 4 days for an EORI number, it's worth looking into them again.

Shame, if its not very heavy, royal mail are pretty good - sent a small parcel, signed for to Japan for about £12 if memory serves. 

Dpdlocal online do europe and they've reopened the road service. They're quite fastidious with the paperwork (one wrong parcel and the lot was coming back apparently) but they did have a helpful customs dept.

Have you tried Parcel Force?

It's still a part of Royal Mail, just more focused on parcels

Welcome to Brexit Britain, thank any local Gammons for all this extra red tape and nonsense.

2 hours ago, geared said:

Welcome to Brexit Britain, thank any local Gammons for all this extra red tape and nonsense.

People ship stuff to the US, Canada, Australia, Dubai, the far east... all the time without having a meltdown. 

The world is bigger than the EU so can we stop with the dramatics.  Yes we have left and yes there is now some additional admin to do.  Most people knew that would be the obvious circumstance and, as the OP is rightly doing, they are simply checking the rules accordingly.  

Calm down to a panic.  

To the OP, you may wish to get a parcel company on the phone to check if you need to complete everything.  If the laptop is actually a gift and not a sale transaction some of the rules may not be applicable.  My usual go to is either UPS or Parcelforce.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

3 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

People ship stuff to the US, Canada, Australia, Dubai, the far east... all the time without having a meltdown. 

The world is bigger than the EU so can we stop with the dramatics.  Yes we have left and yes there is now some additional admin to do.  Most people knew that would be the obvious circumstance and, as the OP is rightly doing, they are simply checking the rules accordingly.  

Calm down to a panic.  

To the OP, you may wish to get a parcel company on the phone to check if you need to complete everything.  If the laptop is actually a gift and not a sale transaction some of the rules may not be applicable.  My usual go to is either UPS or Parcelforce.  

@ECCOnoob thanks once again for attempting to insert a bit if sanity into this situation, but I fear you are fighting an uphill battle.

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Calm down to a panic.  

But it is extra red tape and nonsense.

5 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

But it is extra red tape and nonsense.

Agreed, but it is red tape agreed (presumably) between the UK & EU for something that has not been needed it for 40+ years - why now, when other than the exit of the UK from the EU has changed??

Edited by RollingJ