A630 Parkway Upgrade Works

Rotherham Council have launched a section on their website, outlining the plans and time frames for the works. These will start in February and take approx 18 months to complete.

Full details at: https://www.rotherham.gov.uk/parkway-upgrade

Edited by Michael_N

Narrowing the lanes at the end to put an extra lane in and reducing the speed limit to 50.... the main problem with that end of the Parkway is the lack of filter lanes on and off the Northbound M1 and the timing of the traffic lights.
It looks and sounds OK but by all accounts looks a cheap option on a heavily used junction and road.
if this project had have been down South then the whole junction would have been rebuilt instead of trying to squeeze and extra lane in either and making it tighter.

Start from tomorrow then.

"Mon 1 to Fri 26 February 2021 – Evening lane closures on A630 eastbound and westbound carriageways".

My one real question is the new lane from Catcliffe junction to M1.

Does this mean the footbridge that leads from St Mary's to the top of Nursery Drive is coming down? 

The supports for that bridge will interfere with an additional lane. 

The blurb says that the modified road will be within the footprint of the existing road - they're squeezing in another lane by making the lanes and central reservation narrower,  and extending out slightly onto the existing verge. So the bridge should be ok.

Oh great 50mph! Funny I was on it the other day and thought to myself at least the last third of the parkway is 70. The whole parkway should be 70.

I assume the new limit is also for air quality reasons.

They're about to build yet more houses on the field next to Morrisons, not sure i'd enjoy living in a house that backs directly onto the Parkway!

13 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

Oh great 50mph! Funny I was on it the other day and thought to myself at least the last third of the parkway is 70. The whole parkway should be 70.

You can bet your bottom dollar either a scamera or parking space for a scamera van will be in the new works... 

14 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

That would save you 1.75 minutes assuming you made it all 70mph, instead of making it all 50mph.

You emit more pollution and shorten lifespans more at 70mph. Seems like keeping at 50mph is the humane thing to do. 

That 1.75 minutes twice a day over the course of a 5-day working week and average working lifetime, taking off some for holidays, equates to around 700 extra hours per person.

Forgive me for being selfish but I'd rather do something else with those 700 hours rather than regressing our technological, vehicular and road building developments just to appease the eco-warriors.

As for your statement on improvements to air quality, that is a subject of great debate and contrary evidence. Even right this moment it is still being trialled and experimented on.

In any event, given the already announced changes and restrictions on vehicles which will be pushed towards hybrid and electric such concerns have dwindling merit.  Are we going to get a guarantee that the road speed will leap back up to it's appropriate limit of 70+ if everyone drives electric?   Are we going to get incentivised to buy eco-friendly vehicles if those with them are free to drive at the higher speed?  Do we have examples of other places in the world where they have increased speed limits once such vehicles have been adopted ?

I very much doubt it - which to my eyes makes this whole emissions angle a load of crock.  

I wonder if this is in fact just another desprate cash grab by the local authorities trying to increase their ego and budgets by snatching some "green" grant dangled in front of them.  They whored SY out for the M1 testing, we had the Shalesmoor bike lane debacle and here we go again..... Knickers are back in the handbag

Edited by ECCOnoob

46 million quid !