Prostate Problem

On 31/01/2021 at 12:09, MEC176 said:

I’m 69 my experience not pulling punch’s.
Every man should know what your Prostrate does it is a stop tap for peeing it produces fluid for your reproductive system so after feeling tired with leg and lower back ache and a sex life that was excruciatingly painful because my Prostrate was killing me I had the finger test, which is not half as bad as people make out, after a biopsy I was diagnose at the Hallamshire Urology with Prostrate cancer in November 2012 opperated on in January 2013 not really given a choice on the scale of 1 good and 10 bad I was 9 they had me in as quick as that five hours in surgery, before it could spread to my Lymph glands then the rest of me if not there was a good chance I would have been dead in five years may be less.
 Down side because they took away my Lymph glands from there I developed lymphedema , the build-up of waste fluid which the body normally gets rid of, swelling in my legs but over the years this has settled down now they just ache after walking for a long time. I went back for six weeks of Radio therapy at Weston Park just as a precaution to mop up anything missed I now have a PSA level of 0.0003 which is good and six monthly check up’s, the only really down side is they took away muscles that give you an erection or anything to get hold of when going for a pee, can be messy if you’re not quick enough and hence the sex life is practically none existent but they do have a department to help with that and when you need to go you need to go because the stop taps not there but what’s the worst no sex life or not being here for my family when they need you.
 If your dought full about what to do go and talk to your Doctor or the Macmillan nurses they are very good kind and listen and don’t be a whoose about the finger test because you think it will not happen to me it is a silent killer.

....And if I mentioned sex at 69 to my better half, she'd think I'd gone ga-ga!

On 04/02/2021 at 14:42, RiffRaff said:

....And if I mentioned sex at 69 to my better half, she'd think I'd gone ga-ga!

Get away with you, if it works your never to old.

34 minutes ago, MEC176 said:

Get away with you, if it works your never to old.

We came to an agreement when we were both 40 - we decided we really couldn't be bothered!

Nearly 30 years later, we're still happy!

In my case since the opperation in 2013 some times you think about what you miss

the spirits willing but at 70 the body has failed me, so you have a cuddle and read

a good book.  :)

23 minutes ago, MEC176 said:

In my case since the opperation in 2013 some times you think about what you miss

the spirits willing but at 70 the body has failed me, so you have a cuddle and read

a good book.  :)

I'd rather have a good meat and potato pie!

On 02/02/2021 at 10:32, El Cid said:

I had a test because I was peeing a lot during the day. I had a PSA test and it was just above normal, I had a biopsy and it was clear of cancer. Not a nice test  :)

I think they said I had a inflamed/enlarged prostate. That was around 18 months ago.

It does feel like I am peeing even more, not so much getting up on a night. But if I have a cup of tea I will want to go to the loo.

When I pee, its just a small amout and often.

I drive for a living, so I make sure I pee before setting of, same before bed, I have a cup of tea around an hour before bed.

Same for me. I had biopsy that wasnt half as bad as I expected! Have to wake up 6 times a night to pee so never have decent nights sleep. Try to drink lot of water in day PSA 4.6

20 minutes ago, markfor said:

Same for me. I had biopsy that wasnt half as bad as I expected! Have to wake up 6 times a night to pee so never have decent nights sleep. Try to drink lot of water in day PSA 4.6

I drink tea around an hour before bedtime and I am ok, I manage 7 hours sleep, sometimes I wake up, drink when I wake up then wee before I set off for work, work is three hours, so eveything needs to be done in order.

I am only 59, but see how things go.

The more people, men, put their experiences of having prostate cancer or investigation into prostate cancer on this forum, how it went for them, it was not as bad as they expected then other's might over come the trepidation of going to their Doctor if they don't feel well. 

Just a thought.  :)

Hopefully in future years there'll be less need for biopsies as there are more multi-parametric MRI (mpMRI) facilities available. Often the images available from this technique make a biopsy unnecessary.

Also there's a new drug on the way, called Olaparib, for treating advanced prostate cancer. 

I recently read an interesting article about the Chinese chef Ken Hom (now 71). He was diagnosed with prostate cancer several years ago but avoided surgery by having several sessions of proton beam therapy. He's now cured of the cancer. Doubt if this is available through the NHS though but it might be available if you go private.

Read all this stuff in the magazine issued by Prostate Cancer UK. They send me a copy every few months cos' I've named them in my will. My dad had this cancer for years, although not the aggressive kind, before  Alzheimers eventually took him. His was kept in check using Zoladex - made by AstraZeneca who he used to work for (and so did I).

Hi Victor,   Sounds intresting.

What drugs do people take to stop waking up 6 times a night to pee?

Saw Palmetto has been suggested to me?

10 hours ago, markfor said:

What drugs do people take to stop waking up 6 times a night to pee?

Saw Palmetto has been suggested to me?

nothing to drink 2 hrs before  bed    And dont go to bedl worrying  or trying to work things out have a clear mind