Libre Office Impress Presentation.

If I make a presentation with Libre impress and I add music to it, when I copy and past it to a memory stick and play it there is no music. I have also tried to click and drag, with the same results. Could it be the way I am saving them or is it just not possible to copy and play them? 

By default, LibreOffice inserts links to embedded music and video files so you don't end up having lots of copies of your music/video. If you open up the Insert Audio or Video dialog (menu options Insert->Audio or Video...) you'll see an Insert as Link checkbox. Make sure this is unchecked when you add the music to your presentation and it will embed it rather than use a link. I can't see an easy way to change the embedded status of existing music/video objects so you'll have to delete and reinsert them.

I tried what you suggested and the `insert as link` box is unchecked by default, by the look of it. I put some music on the presentation using Linux but I just got the same result. Cheers. 

It did work when I tried it using version 6.4.6.2 on Linux.

I've just tried saving the test file I created in MS Office formats (PPT and PPTX) rather than the native format (ODP) and it didn't work.

If you can't use ODP on your target system you can insert the files using links, copy any music/video files to the memory stick too and save as a PPT file (PPTX didn't work). The relative paths need to be the same so the easiest way to keep track of the files is to put them all in a new directory, then insert the music/video files into the presentation and finally copy the whole of the directory to your memory stick.

I have just tried to save one as PPT but there is no PPT save option on the drop down box. I will make a new presentation using Powerpoint and see how that works out. Cheers.

22 hours ago, altus said:

It did work when I tried it using version 6.4.6.2 on Linux.

I've just tried saving the test file I created in MS Office formats (PPT and PPTX) rather than the native format (ODP) and it didn't work.

If you can't use ODP on your target system you can insert the files using links, copy any music/video files to the memory stick too and save as a PPT file (PPTX didn't work). The relative paths need to be the same so the easiest way to keep track of the files is to put them all in a new directory, then insert the music/video files into the presentation and finally copy the whole of the directory to your memory stick.

How do I set up a new directory, please.

Is this a directory in /home/Kidorry or on the memory stick?

Here is a useful tip as an alternative. I have suggested that Okular be installed on Notebooks as LibreOffice has the option to save to pdf in web format. I did this with a Presentation that had embedded music file in SoftMaker Office Presentation 2021 that didn't play the sound, opened it up in LibreOffice Impress then exported to pdf but in web format option.

Next I opened it in Okular which has presentation mode built in and the embedded music played on the slides where it was supposed to. 😉

19 hours ago, Kidorry said:

I have just tried to save one as PPT but there is no PPT save option on the drop down box. I will make a new presentation using Powerpoint and see how that works out. Cheers.

Check the version you are using. The one I mentioned above definitely has it.

54 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

How do I set up a new directory, please.

It depends on the file manager you use. It's usually something like browse to the folder you want to create the directory in and, with the mouse pointer in the folder view, right click and select create new folder.

I found the PPT using Linux. The powerpoint on my Windows is 2003 version. I will now try to create a directory.

Well I have tried everything you all suggested and nothing works on my P.C. And as for setting up a new directory  that is way out of my league. So I will make a copy on each device I use to make sure I can present the presentation when I want. Thank you everyone for your time and effort.

I think your issue might be partly due to the fact you are using 2003 .ppt - most platforms these days should be using .pptx (xml based files. I remember assisting in creating a PowerPoint a long time ago before Office 2007 and that just does not run correctly so if you intended to run your PowerPoint via Memory Stick on a guest machine at some point for presentation purposes it might not work. I am currently running LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 and that can save to  2007-Office365 format (.pptx).

If you are using GNU/Linux in terms of a directory I tend to just create a subfolder within Documents for projects I work on for work. I discovered many years ago that if you intend to include any external sources in a PowerPoint you should copy them across to let's say your memory stick and import them into your Presentation saved on Memory stick there.