Ebay, Getting Paid By Paypal May No Longer Be An Option Soon.

32 minutes ago, West 77 said:

My thoughts exactly.  The person I spoke to on the phone said new procedures were in place to try to prevent money laundering.  My bank account name is the same as my name in the personal information I've provided to eBay. (I needed to prove my identity to open the bank account in my own name)  I'm not exactly a power seller and have only tried to sell more on Ebay during the last few months because my normal outlets are closed because it's classed as non essential retail  (antiques trade related)  I tried to do the right thing by opening a business account on eBay rather than use a private account for business purposes. 

Thanks for the explanation.  That's made my mind up for me.  I have been buying on ebay for many years and was thinking of getting a pile of stuff together and also selling.  I've had plenty of emails from them suggesting I start selling, but if they are demanding more than bank details I'll not bother.  I've never heard of a company who've already got my bank details (and they can use these to check for fraud via the usual channels of course) wanting  photo ID before!

The photo ID saga seems to be finding it's way in to an increasing number of financial related services.

Up until recently I was like you West 77- I only had the old paper license from the 70s. 

About a year ago I was in the bank where I have held a current account for  many years. I was wanting to transfer a large amount of money from my current account to a building society also in my name. They said no unless I produced photo ID, which I did not have.

It was only when I asked, "what if I closed the account" that they then found a workaround. They kept me there for about 40 minutes with loads of silly questions.

Anyway, I applied for a  photo driving license around December just to save the hassle in banks etc. Now I have paper & photo licenses.

I'll say it again, this technology is a social curse!

22 minutes ago, AKAMD said:

I'll say it again, this technology is a social curse!

I think you need to narrow it down a bit... What technology do you mean?

Digital, computers, IT, whatever you want to call it, it is taking control of our lives; online shopping > demise of the High Street, apps > unknown entities knowing your every move, online banking > no high street banks, contact payment cards > cashless society.  And what happens with people who don't want to be/can't be computer savvy?  Like every other minority in the modern world, they don't count!!!!!

I understand where you are coming from AKAMD. Tech should be serving us, not the other way around.

2 hours ago, AKAMD said:

Digital, computers, IT, whatever you want to call it, it is taking control of our lives; online shopping > demise of the High Street, apps > unknown entities knowing your every move, online banking > no high street banks, contact payment cards > cashless society.  And what happens with people who don't want to be/can't be computer savvy?  Like every other minority in the modern world, they don't count!!!!!

... and the problem is we are all been drawn into it, whether we want it or not.  And to top it all, the Pandemic is accelerating the process as it is used as an excuse to introduce/force technology on us.

Gmt idea for Track and Trace? - Apps on smartphones - many don't have smartphones

record of Covid vaccinations as access to businesses mooted? - smartphones (ditto)

Payments? - contactless cards (hygene/Covid) - many don't have/want contactless

threats to cheques? - direct debit / contactless (both give more of your info than you may want to give)

Hole in wall ATM's?  At risk as people using contactless/cashback

Banks?  as above - turned into coffee bars/shops/bars

Back on topic. Anyway, the problem with ebay payments is they've gone back to the dark ages. I remember when you'd expect it to take a few days for a bank/payment processor to take a few days to give you your money, but when PayPal do so instantly these days as do bank transfers, I don't understand why eBay (I think it's actually another company that does the payments) take days to give you your money after the buyer has paid. Back to the old model of holding onto your money for as long as possible to earn interest on that transaction?

From the link above

Mike Pitt, director of UK consumer selling at eBay, says "the change creates an "enhanced buying and selling experience"

I cannot perceive how holding on to people's money for 2 days can be an enhancement to a system. 

What if it is a 10k car  that has been sold?

Edited by Janus

It is ridiculous. As you say, how can holding onto money be a better buying experience, plus as said sending items when you've not actually received any money for them. I'd prefer the very slightly higher PayPal fees if it means getting my money instantly. 

I think eBay are risking losing cutomers-they need to be careful. It's akin to fixing something that is not broken. 

After all the years they have been in business, I am surprised that there is no viable competitor-yet!

There also seems to be an element of contemp for their customers. 

From  the Martin Lewis link :

"If you don't do anything and continue to use the existing service rather than switch over, eBay warns that it has the right to restrict your ability to make new sales listings and to change or end existing listings".

Marvelous. 

I relisted an item yesterday with one click, nothing changed there yet.