Ebay, Getting Paid By Paypal May No Longer Be An Option Soon.

@Anna B

I still use PP when buying from many different sellers.

What were the circumstances that forced you to use the new system when purchasing? 

4 minutes ago, AKAMD said:

I thought Paypal was an ebay company.  

They split the companies in 2015.

3 hours ago, Janus said:

@Anna B

I still use PP when buying from many different sellers.

What were the circumstances that forced you to use the new system when purchasing? 

On some items the 'pay it now' system has changed. Whereas before it was the simple click of a button, now you have to go into a different setup via paypal passwords etc. I'm not very computer literate and I found it a pig to get it sorted. Now it's a bit more established it's a bit easier, but it worked fine before, so why change it? 

12 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

I wouldn't buy anything online now unless it's via PayPal, the buyer protection against rubbish sellers and products is worth its weight in gold!

Me too, no PayPal no sale from me via Ebay. I always use PayPal for online purchases for the protection given 

40 minutes ago, catmiss said:

Me too, no PayPal no sale from me via Ebay. I always use PayPal for online purchases for the protection given 

Times change, and not always for the better.  I've noticed that other methods of paying are being promoted when paying on ebay, and I can see a time where you may not be able to pay by PayPal.  In that case, I'd probably look for an alternative - either alternative supplier, or even an alternative to ebay.  Hopefully, it won't come to that though!

1 minute ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Times change, and not always for the better.  I've noticed that other methods of paying are being promoted when paying on ebay, and I can see a time where you may not be able to pay by PayPal.  In that case, I'd probably look for an alternative - either alternative supplier, or even an alternative to ebay.  Hopefully, it won't come to that though!

I’ve got a case open with PayPal re a company whose product would seem to be targeted at a vulnerable market. Goods not delivered, phone and emails not answered, hopefully PayPal will get delivery or refund. I feel at a time of lockdown, when many more, often vulnerable, people are forced into getting necessities online there should be some sort of payment protection. I don’t have a credit card and, even if I did, the protection wouldn’t cover my £40 payment 

There appears to be some confusion around what is actually happening.  The start of this thread suggested that Paypal would no longer be used on ebay but as we progressed we start discussing the 'new' system that Paypay are using, ie. having to sign in to your Paypal account to make the payment instead of the one-click payment.  This appears only to occur on certain items but not all.  If I remember correctly when Paypal was introduced you had to sign in to your account to make all payments on ebay.  The one-click system is very convenient but not as secure as having to sign in to make a payment.  It maybe that some sellers prefer the use of the more secure system and that Paypal have bowed to pressure.  I don't think there will come a time when you can't use Paypal on ebay!

5 hours ago, AKAMD said:

There appears to be some confusion around what is actually happening.  The start of this thread suggested that Paypal would no longer be used on ebay but as we progressed we start discussing the 'new' system that Paypay are using, ie. having to sign in to your Paypal account to make the payment instead of the one-click payment.  This appears only to occur on certain items but not all.  If I remember correctly when Paypal was introduced you had to sign in to your account to make all payments on ebay.  The one-click system is very convenient but not as secure as having to sign in to make a payment.  It maybe that some sellers prefer the use of the more secure system and that Paypal have bowed to pressure.  I don't think there will come a time when you can't use Paypal on ebay!

But you don't have to use the one-click payment system. I don't and I need to sign-in everytime. My browser auto-fills my details for me but it gives me that one extra click so prevents any accidental.

purchases.

In any case for me it seems to push in the direction that PayPal want to become a bank, despite all of their denials, everything they're doing leads to becoming one. The credit options and distancing themselves from other entities. 

Edited by Resident

One things for sure, we'll not see them on the High Street!

On 29/01/2021 at 01:08, catmiss said:

You will still be able to pay using paypal on ebay.

Just received another message from ebay about their changes.  It doesn't bother me, but some sellers may want their incoming payments to remain in the paypal account, as opposed to going in to the bank.

Body of message:

Your payments are changing, are you ready?

eBay now manages the end-to-end selling experience on our marketplace, including payments.

You get paid directly to your bank account, not your PayPal account, regardless of how the buyer chooses to pay.

We will initiate payouts within two business days of payment confirmation.

Your fees, expenses and charges will be automatically deducted.

No more PayPal payment processing fees or separate monthly fee payments.

Most sellers will pay the same or less than before.

59 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I think it might only apply to business sellers. They call in  'managed payments'   A seller has to send out goods before they have the funds in their bank account. I preferred taking payments via paypal.   My eBay business account (100% positive) has been suspended because I haven't been able to upload photo ID.  My passport is out of date and my driving licence is still the old type without a photo.  I can go and open a new bank account almost any where with my current driving licence and proof of address.  I spent over one hour on the phone earlier in the week trying to resolve the situation and am still awaiting an email back from them.  I've already lost goodwill because my account says I'm no longer a registered user and payments I'm  owed  from eBay managed payments have been stopped.

Why on earth do they need a photo ID for you?