Blades V Manchester

16 minutes ago, cmonkes said:

The fight hasn't been completely devoid and I will continue to defend the boys against anyone who says otherwise.

We've had a couple of below par performances, but I stand by what I have said all season...the games have been lost by a single goal, a fine margin. We've had a fair share of possession but we've lacked the courage in the final third and we've made mistakes in areas that top flight teams punish you.

The chances to goals conversion has been inadequate , that has been our pain fault. Goals gain points, even singular points against the best players in the world.

The mentions for tonight's effort.....

Ramsdale!!.....After all the stick he has had, some warranted, some not. He commanded his box fantastically tonight and appeared to grow in confidence. Whether it be the experienced, calming influenced of jags in front of him who knows. He wasn't overly challenged granted, but when called upon he was more than adequate....one thing that I did notice was a massive boost in confidence when coming out to claim catches. Good performance.

Jagielka....absolute class performance, with very little wrong. He has literally won everything in the air, he has been alert and switched on. The tried his best to pick up Maguire for the equaliser, he did slip him, but he desperately tried to get to him . I've had worries about jags age vs ability, but I apologise profusely...he was great tonight all round.

Fleck and Lumstram.....legs, legs and legs some more. Man marking key players out of the game! There is nothing more I love to see than these so called big boys waving their hands around in desperacy! The midfielders worked so hard to nul optimism and stop creativity!... game plan came together, work rate impeccable.

Norwood...DESERVEDLY on the wrong end of some criticism for a recent performance, but looked very much invigorated tonight. Whether it was the pull of a fixture against his former employers, or the shame of what he will know was a very below performance, who knows?....but tonight, well on form. Tracked back, got stuck in and won challenges. Going forwards, his through ball passes were top notch. Literally what we know Norwood to do at his best....he needs to continue to produce it!!

Billy and dave....early doors they worked away, whilst unspectacular. We need goals but we also need work rate and effort. They put themselves about and led from the front, cracking performance from an experienced pair.

Oli Burke.......A cameo that warrants much more. He runs himself all over the shop, his pace catches out the so called best defenders in the world. He's come on tonight and he's run, forwards, backwards, left and right. He's hassled and he's put in the leg work.....you could argue the perfect sub at the perfect time.

He doesn't get the goal, it's not his.....but you can't detract from his performance in the slightest. Short but effective.

Wilder......some would see if as a risk late on, to bring on two strikers and stretch the game, when most would be looking to tighten up at the back and cling on for life. But no, we don't play like that! Attack is the best form of defence! We bring on pace and attacking legs, we look to play our football in the opposition box.

As opposed to us gaining any sort of positive feedback, all we will hear is how poor man United were. I refuse to let this be the talking point! It was a very well executed game plan and very well drilled individual performances.  When truth be said, they desperately slammed 60m of signings on tocthe pitch and they achieved nothing!

Well done united!.....10 point gap, massive ask! But confidence, work rate and determination. We just plod on and hope for the best! Said it all season, write us off at your peril....we work hard! We lack the quality of the rest, but they couldn't buy the togetherness and effort that we have.

Good post Monkes (as usual).

Maybe fight was the wrong word but certainly more clinical. Good result tonight but I can't see the same against city so an important 3 points. You'd of snapped their hands off if you had been offered 3 out of these 3 tough games so can't grumble

Great game and a great performance.

To say that "Football is a funny old game" is a massive understatement tonight.

Watching Rashford, Martial, and Pogba walk onto the pitch, before kick off (along with our old boy, Maguire), I think we all feared the worst.  What happened after that just tore up the rule book.

This was Sheffield United of last season, Fleck getting over his injury and looking like his old self was great to see.

We still need a miracle, but that performance will give the team some belief.

7 hours ago, medusa said:

I'm not a football fan (the ball's the wrong shape for me!) but I'd hesitate to say that one win when you're bottom of the league warrants that statement!

Ooo ark at her/him, with  her/his "hesitate to say". Two wins now by the way LOL

10 hours ago, cmonkes said:

The fight hasn't been completely devoid and I will continue to defend the boys against anyone who says otherwise.

We've had a couple of below par performances, but I stand by what I have said all season...the games have been lost by a single goal, a fine margin. We've had a fair share of possession but we've lacked the courage in the final third and we've made mistakes in areas that top flight teams punish you.

The chances to goals conversion has been inadequate , that has been our pain fault. Goals gain points, even singular points against the best players in the world.

The mentions for tonight's effort.....

Ramsdale!!.....After all the stick he has had, some warranted, some not. He commanded his box fantastically tonight and appeared to grow in confidence. Whether it be the experienced, calming influenced of jags in front of him who knows. He wasn't overly challenged granted, but when called upon he was more than adequate....one thing that I did notice was a massive boost in confidence when coming out to claim catches. Good performance.

Jagielka....absolute class performance, with very little wrong. He has literally won everything in the air, he has been alert and switched on. The tried his best to pick up Maguire for the equaliser, he did slip him, but he desperately tried to get to him . I've had worries about jags age vs ability, but I apologise profusely...he was great tonight all round.

Fleck and Lumstram.....legs, legs and legs some more. Man marking key players out of the game! There is nothing more I love to see than these so called big boys waving their hands around in desperacy! The midfielders worked so hard to nul optimism and stop creativity!... game plan came together, work rate impeccable.

Norwood...DESERVEDLY on the wrong end of some criticism for a recent performance, but looked very much invigorated tonight. Whether it was the pull of a fixture against his former employers, or the shame of what he will know was a very below performance, who knows?....but tonight, well on form. Tracked back, got stuck in and won challenges. Going forwards, his through ball passes were top notch. Literally what we know Norwood to do at his best....he needs to continue to produce it!!

Billy and dave....early doors they worked away, whilst unspectacular. We need goals but we also need work rate and effort. They put themselves about and led from the front, cracking performance from an experienced pair.

Oli Burke.......A cameo that warrants much more. He runs himself all over the shop, his pace catches out the so called best defenders in the world. He's come on tonight and he's run, forwards, backwards, left and right. He's hassled and he's put in the leg work.....you could argue the perfect sub at the perfect time.

He doesn't get the goal, it's not his.....but you can't detract from his performance in the slightest. Short but effective.

Wilder......some would see if as a risk late on, to bring on two strikers and stretch the game, when most would be looking to tighten up at the back and cling on for life. But no, we don't play like that! Attack is the best form of defence! We bring on pace and attacking legs, we look to play our football in the opposition box.

As opposed to us gaining any sort of positive feedback, all we will hear is how poor man United were. I refuse to let this be the talking point! It was a very well executed game plan and very well drilled individual performances.  When truth be said, they desperately slammed 60m of signings on tocthe pitch and they achieved nothing!

Well done united!.....10 point gap, massive ask! But confidence, work rate and determination. We just plod on and hope for the best! Said it all season, write us off at your peril....we work hard! We lack the quality of the rest, but they couldn't buy the togetherness and effort that we have.

Great post Sir..  To the point and accurate. !!!  Onwards and upwards !    UTB !!!!

1 hour ago, Vasquez Rich said:

Bartlett and Hilts to sign on loan til the end of the season?

Bartlett and Hilts ? Can you provide some more information?

The Blades are not done yet.

I told you so weeks and weeks ago. Losing 1-0 regularly can soon change to drawing and winning 1-0 (or more). I've banged on about it for years on here that good attitudes can overcome more skiful opponents. This game proves it. Can't fault yer!

My club, on the other hand, only has 2 or 3 influential, driving players, plus apparent lack of quality with too many players. That's why we are where we are. And will stay probably. (Don't celebrate that news too wildly, we're all Sheffield aren't we?)

42 minutes ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

The Blades are not done yet.

I told you so weeks and weeks ago. Losing 1-0 regularly can soon change to drawing and winning 1-0 (or more). I've banged on about it for years on here that good attitudes can overcome more skiful opponents. This game proves it. Can't fault yer!

My club, on the other hand, only has 2 or 3 influential, driving players, plus apparent lack of quality with too many players. That's why we are where we are. And will stay probably. (Don't celebrate that news too wildly, we're all Sheffield aren't we?)

Great post

2 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

Bartlett and Hilts ? Can you provide some more information?

Roger Bartlett and Virgil Hilts were two characters in the film 'The Great Escape, played by Richard Attenborough and Steve McQueen.

12 hours ago, Grappler said:

Great game and a great performance.

To say that "Football is a funny old game" is a massive understatement tonight.

Watching Rashford, Martial, and Pogba walk onto the pitch, before kick off (along with our old boy, Maguire), I think we all feared the worst.  What happened after that just tore up the rule book.

This was Sheffield United of last season, Fleck getting over his injury and looking like his old self was great to see.

We still need a miracle, but that performance will give the team some belief.

First goal should have been disallowed, because Sharp pushed keeper off the ball.  second goal was a deflected shot which the keeper had got covered. So not such a great win I think.

2 minutes ago, E.R.N said:

First goal should have been disallowed, because Sharp pushed keeper off the ball.  second goal was a deflected shot which the keeper had got covered. So not such a great win I think.

:huh:

Oh, right.

And here's me thinking that is the referee's job.