Jump to content

New Cars Approved From 2022 To Have Speed Limiters Fitted

Recommended Posts

On 29/01/2021 at 01:14, Resident said:

...
Let's put it into an easy scenario, one I've been in (sans black box).

You're driving down a road, it's dark and the road is lit but not very well (typical estate type lighting). From an alleyway you're just a few feet from, out of the darkness comes a hooded figure at speed on a bicycle, straight into your path. You brake harshly and steer to the nearside to avoid him. Your reaction to a hazardous situation averted a nasty collision. Well done. 

HOWEVER, the little black box does NOT see the errant cyclist, it does NOT see your actions prevented injury and damage to all involved.  What it does see it a hard braking and hard steering event, both of which count AGAINST you in the scoring system the insurance company uses. You are penalised for someone else's bad road craft. 
 

You would be "penalised" only by the evidence, some of which would be derived from the "black box" and some by the investigating officer at the scene and presented to the magistrates/jury. 

The question in my mind would be why the driver was unable to stop. 

The evidence would establish the factors and their influence on the events. 

A "black box" and camera would be a boon to anybody falsely accused or blamed, a great way of forcing the Government, Police and Councils to manage and fix roads. Finally as a reminder to drivers to expect the unexpected and to drive within their limits.

 and those of the environment they are in  eg children on bikes in an estate.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/01/2021 at 01:14, Resident said:

HOWEVER, the little black box does NOT see the errant cyclist, it does NOT see your actions prevented injury and damage to all involved.  What it does see it a hard braking and hard steering event, both of which count AGAINST you in the scoring system the insurance company uses. You are penalised for someone else's bad road craft. 

 

 

If it's a scoring system, wouldn't you have to have done this a few times before it becomes a score that gets picked up on?

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/02/2021 at 19:05, Magilla said:

 

If it's a scoring system, wouldn't you have to have done this a few times before it becomes a score that gets picked up on?

 

 

 

 

Have you driven lately?  The standard of road use has declined rapidly due to a complete lack of mobile authority, with our police farces relying on speed cameras. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Magilla, no the black box does not differentiate, you are instantly marked down for a legally required emergency stop. If the system was capable of averaging out hard braking over a period of time then it wouldn’t be an issue but it doesn’t. Also totally agree with Resident, over reliance on speed cameras has lead to some of the worst driving I have seen in 30 odd years of being on the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jim117 said:

Magilla, no the black box does not differentiate, you are instantly marked down for a legally required emergency stop. If the system was capable of averaging out hard braking over a period of time then it wouldn’t be an issue but it doesn’t. Also totally agree with Resident, over reliance on speed cameras has lead to some of the worst driving I have seen in 30 odd years of being on the road.

Once you hand over the job of interpreting data generated by vehicle telematics to a commercial operator like an insurance company, there’s bound to be issues.  In the business and transport world the same harsh interpretation of the data can be made by a transport/fleet safety manager. 
Broadly speaking, though, telematics data give a good and accurate overview of the relativity of driving styles for further investigation and training.  Insurance companies don’t respond with training, sadly  

 

Driving standards have dropped, I’m sure, but I’d be hard-pressed to find any reliable and valid data to support that empirical observation.   Human nature is to push against barriers and bend rules.  Take away traffic cars, you are right, you remove the stick and drivers get away with more rule-bending and rule-breaking - it becomes almost the norm for drivers to ignore amber/red “STOP” lights, for instance. 


The solution is to have more cops and that is being addressed to get back to the level of 2010.   Cameras are a necessity because you could never put enough PC’s on the beat to cover all the bases.   ANPR is a massive asset in fighting crime of all sorts - crim’s use vehicles. 
 

Societally, driving standards could do with being raised up.  That’s down to drivers taking responsibility and wanting to improve their driving skills and knowledge, not the Police. 
That is almost totally lacking - very, very few drivers present themselves voluntarily for further driver training.   The Police diversionary schemes’ training has addressed this for years as has company driver training but these interventions tend to be a once-in-blue-moon event and they are no substitute for continuous driver self-awareness and development.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.