New Cars Approved From 2022 To Have Speed Limiters Fitted

Been reported from 2022 any new approved cars will have to have speed limiters fitted amongest other things like pre wiring for breathalyser equipment and Volvo are to restrict their cars to 117 mph.     Will people just find a way of over riding these systems etc 

but making your car do no more than 117mph is still 47 mph over the limit,why not make all cars say 75mph and thats it,i know some will say thats still 5mph over ,but you need discretion.

2 hours ago, rudds1 said:

Been reported from 2022 any new approved cars will have to have speed limiters fitted amongest other things like pre wiring for breathalyser equipment and Volvo are to restrict their cars to 117 mph.     Will people just find a way of over riding these systems etc 

Not before time Rudds.

I've always wondered why car manufacture's are allowed to produce cars that do 100 mph+

The national speed limit is 70,  speed kills..

It would also help the police by reducing the high speed car chases there often involved in.

The breathalyser is a great technical advancement and would save many many lives.

As I understand it the car won't start if it detects alcohol. Is that correct?

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Not before time Rudds.

I've always wondered why car manufacture's are allowed to produce cars that do 100 mph+

The national speed limit is 70,  speed kills..

It would also help the police by reducing the high speed car chases there often involved in.

The breathalyser is a great technical advancement and would save many many lives.

As I understand it the car won't start if it detects alcohol. Is that correct?

What's the speed limit at Donnington Park, Silverstone or Knockhill, how about the German autobahn?  

Oh and out comes the falocy that speed kills. Do you die everytime you get on a flight abroad, you're travelling FAR in excess of 100mph before you've even left the tarmac? 

The truth is that speed, as the DIRECT cause of road fatalities is one of the lowest at < 3% whereas other causes such as loss of control (whether under, over or at the speed limit), is the highest at 35% or due care and attention (failing to observe) at 26%.

17 minutes ago, Resident said:

What's the speed limit at Donnington Park, Silverstone or Knockhill, how about the German autobahn?  

Oh and out comes the falocy that speed kills. Do you die everytime you get on a flight abroad, you're travelling FAR in excess of 100mph before you've even left the tarmac? 

The truth is that speed, as the DIRECT cause of road fatalities is one of the lowest at < 3% whereas other causes such as loss of control (whether under, over or at the speed limit), is the highest at 35% or due care and attention (failing to observe) at 26%.

What a bizarre argument. 

2 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

What a bizarre argument. 

Why is it? 

Padders made the arguement that cars shouldn't be able to do more than 100mph because the maximum speed limit is 70 but in every place I listed I can legally exceed 100mph if I choose to

Secondly he stated the speed limit is 70 and going faster kills, the minimum specified takeoff speed (V2) of a 737 is 150mph, so why don't people die, they're travelling more that 70mph. 

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Not before time Rudds.

Presumably because some people use them on racing tracks.

If you go to Germany you can legally do 100mph in it too on public roads.

Edited by nightrider

4 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Presumably because some people use them on racing tracks.

And their not your average family car..

The simple fact is, the speed limit on British roads at the moment is 70mph.

If they have the technology to make people adhere to it, that can only be a good thing.

Saves lives, but would cost the treasury millions in no speeding fines.

People don't adhere to 30mph so why simply pick on the top speed. 

On my last speed awareness course in 2015 most of the13 attendees had been caught in a 20 or 30 zone exceeding the speed limit. 3 of us had been caught on the motorways.

And most deaths/serious injuries occur on 'local' roads. Although speed can have an effect on that in that situation, it is only a consideration, the behaviour of drivers AND pedestrians is a much greater factor.

1 hour ago, Resident said:

Why is it? 

Padders made the arguement that cars shouldn't be able to do more than 100mph because the maximum speed limit is 70 but in every place I listed I can legally exceed 100mph if I choose to

Secondly he stated the speed limit is 70 and going faster kills, the minimum specified takeoff speed (V2) of a 737 is 150mph, so why don't people die, they're travelling more that 70mph. 

You chose to list racetracks or German motorways. Neither has any relevance to the average UK driver.

The "speed kills" was clearly in the context of driving, not flying, as you well know.

If you are arguing that driving at 80 is no more dangerous than driving at 70, that would seem contrary to common sense. If I need to make a decision and react to a danger on the road, I have less time at 80 than I do at 70, and therefore I might be able to avoid at 70, but not at 80. In the same car and conditions, stopping distance increases from 96m to 124m. Kinetic energy increases by 30%, for a 1500kg vehicle.

Edited by Bargepole23

49 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

You chose to list racetracks or German motorways. Neither has any relevance to the average UK driver.

The "speed kills" was clearly in the context of driving, not flying, as you well know.

If you are arguing that driving at 80 is no more dangerous than driving at 70, that would seem contrary to common sense. If I need to make a decision and react to a danger on the road, I have less time at 80 than I do at 70, and therefore I might be able to avoid at 70, but not at 80. In the same car and conditions, stopping distance increases from 96m to 124m. Kinetic energy increases by 30%, for a 1500kg vehicle.

It's very relevant.  Cars are manufactured to go anywhere a driver chooses to go.    If I want to drive over to Germany and drive on German motorways why should my car be forced to have restriction to 75mph but the legally permitted speed limits unrestricted in certain areas. 

There are multiple other countries where the standard motorway limits, although restricted, are well over the the UK one. There are even variations dependent on time of day or weather conditions.

I'm allowed to drive my car onto a racetrack with the rest of the 'civies' during allocated events and drive at track speed so why should my car be limited to 75 by some government mandated  policy.

The point is you cannot simply apply blanket rules and blanket restrictions without thinking of the wider consequences.

A knife for example is designed to be as sharp and it can be to enable cutting something as efficiently as possible. A knife just also happens to sometimes maim and kill people. Should we presumably have a blunting of all knives to try to reduce how much harm they 'might' do.

No point blaming bad tools. No point restricting development and advancement of our vehicles when those at fault for speeding and causing accidents are the fleshy parts behind the wheel not the vehicle itself.   Yes, we could limit vehicles to 75 but that's going to do sod all to prevent somebody getting knocked over when a bad driver is screaming through a 20 mile an hour zone at 35+

No "speed" does not kill. Bad driving kills. Inappropriate "uses" of speed for the road conditions kill. Poor judgement kills. Poor maintencece kills.

Edited by ECCOnoob