Advice Re Fitting Concrete Fence Post To A Breeze Block Wall

I have a run of fencing with concrete posts/gravel boards going down one side of  the garden.  My garden is higher up than the neighbour on the other side of the fence. So when it gets to the end of the fence run the ground  drops away too far down to be able to fix the final post into the ground.  So the original fitter attached the last post to the retaining wall - unfortunately made of breeze block.   After not too long the post came away from the  wall, as the fitter had only used one fixing, which turns out wasnt the right fixing or long enough. He wouldnt come back to fix it.

Had someone else come along who replaced the post with a longer one and attached with 3 bolts.  Looked very sturdy but after 2 days (after a bit of wind) the post has come away again as the bolts havent held.  They are coming back to try using even  longer bolts. 

But because its a breeze block I'm thinking a better solution would be  to use both the bolts and a chemical fixing - as in, Epoxy/Injection resin into the bolt holes to hold the bolts .  

Does anybody think this would be the correct solution?

Thanks

I'm no expert, but with them being hollow blocks, would they not get better grip from using some substantial hollow wall anchors and bolts?

4 hours ago, den321 said:

I have a run of fencing with concrete posts/gravel boards going down one side of  the garden.  My garden is higher up than the neighbour on the other side of the fence. So when it gets to the end of the fence run the ground  drops away too far down to be able to fix the final post into the ground.  So the original fitter attached the last post to the retaining wall - unfortunately made of breeze block.   After not too long the post came away from the  wall, as the fitter had only used one fixing, which turns out wasnt the right fixing or long enough. He wouldnt come back to fix it.

Had someone else come along who replaced the post with a longer one and attached with 3 bolts.  Looked very sturdy but after 2 days (after a bit of wind) the post has come away again as the bolts havent held.  They are coming back to try using even  longer bolts. 

But because its a breeze block I'm thinking a better solution would be  to use both the bolts and a chemical fixing - as in, Epoxy/Injection resin into the bolt holes to hold the bolts .  

Thanks

Chemi bolts should be fine, I would get some threaded rod, nuts and large washers rather than bolts. Drill to full depth of breeze block, chemi in, threaded rod in to full depth of breeze block. Let it set then tighten it up.

If its pulling out when its fitted properly and you keep re fixing you will finish up pullingwall over.   Get a longer post dig out put new pole in get plenty concrete round it

9 hours ago, den321 said:

Thanks

Try some Ankerbolts, really easy to use and they get a real hold, if you put 3 - 4 of those in its going nowhere, make sure you get the exact size drill bit for the bolts.

If you cannot get a post that is long enough why not get either a trip of flat bar or 4 pieces say six inch long, drill straight through the wall in 4 places and use screwed thread to bolt it through the wall. That is assuming the person on the other side of the wall doesn't mind.

I'd be tempted to get a longer post or use a knock in metpost (if possible) to get some gepth into the ground witht the pole protruding. Never been a big fan of anchoring anything into breeze blocks personally.

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

If you cannot get a post that is long enough why not get either a trip of flat bar or 4 pieces say six inch long, drill straight through the wall in 4 places and use screwed thread to bolt it through the wall. That is assuming the person on the other side of the wall doesn't mind.

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

Sill dangerer iit will pull wall over .I would put new longer post in keep everything seperate  poss drop  end panel 6 inch 

Edited by spider1

1 hour ago, spider1 said:

Sill danger it will pull wall over .I would put new longer post in keep everything seperate  poss drop  end panel 6 inch 

I meant if the post can be concreted  so far into the ground as well as bolted to the wall I would imagine it would be ok.

Thanks everybody for the replies.    We're going to try the Chemical Bolts first  and see how that holds up .

Appreciate the suggestions!

On 27/01/2021 at 14:01, iansheff said:

I meant if the post can be concreted  so far into the ground as well as bolted to the wall I would imagine it would be ok.

Make sure you get permission to bolt it to other persons wall then if it cracks his wall you can say /  Its your fault you said i could do it 

On 28/01/2021 at 21:01, spider1 said:

Make sure you get permission to bolt it to other persons wall then if it cracks his wall you can say /  Its your fault you said i could do it 

I said in my first post  to the O P if the person on the other side of the wall didn't mind.

On 27/01/2021 at 11:04, iansheff said: