Prices Going Up!

Yes remember going to Nags head Bradfield for a pie and a pint,was £5.50/75,now it's £9.50

Edited by speleo1
added

35 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

I remember going to the pub in the summer after the first lockdown and getting charged £3.40 for a pint. I remember thinking to myself, that's 6 cans at home! 😂 Sadly, I think you are right, they'll be looking to get back some of the money they've lost.

One thing that gets me, the price of shopping seems to have been going up for a while but they claim inflation is only 0.6% - what do they put in that magic basket of goods, not things I buy most weeks for sure.

The contents of the basket alters all the time (supposedly according to trends,) that makes it pretty meaningless as a true measure of inflation.

Edited by Anna B

On 26/01/2021 at 17:40, speleo1 said:

Yes remember going to Nags head Bradfield for a pie and a pint,was £5.50/75,now it's £9.50

Are the Nags Head open in lockdown? 

On 26/01/2021 at 17:41, Anna B said:

The contents of the basket alters all the time (supposedly according to trends,) that makes it pretty meaningless as a true measure of inflation.

Exactly & the representative 'basket' contains some pretty strange items such as bedroom furniture & computer games, (two things I bet we all buy a few times a week?), as well as the staple necessities such as bread, milk, tea & coffee.  At one time, even dating agencies were included (?), from a BBC report I've seen on line from back in 2011.

Now expect to see things like Amazon Prime's various products, Netflix, Disney+, etc ro be added to the 'basket' to produce a retail inflation figure (CPI or RPI, you decide which is the relevant one for any argument?), but watch items such as foreign holiday travel & associated products, be left out of the 'basket' of goods. 

It's one hell of a big basket!   https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/articles/ukconsumerpriceinflationbasketofgoodsandservices/2019#:~:text=In 2019%2C 16 items have,and 16 have been modified.

"Currently, around 180,000 separate price quotations are collected every month in compiling the indices, covering around 700 representative consumer goods and services. These prices are collected in around 140 locations across the UK, from the internet and over the phone. In addition, around 300,000 quotes are used in measuring owner occupiers’ housing costs each month. This measure is based principally on data from administrative sources."

Anyway, back to my original question in Post No. 4.  

" Which supermarket are you speaking of & what weight for the piece of gammon?"   Still not had an answer but I'm guessing that many of us could recommend another retailer? 

Edited by Baron99

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

" Which supermarket are you speaking of & what weight for the piece of gammon?"   Still not had an answer but I'm guessing that many of us could recommend another retailer? 

On 24/01/2021 at 21:57, Cyclecar said:

-Apologies for not responding. I didn't write down the weight, and didn't want to guess.. It was Morrisons on Meadowhead, they are usually very competitive, and  the staff are helpful. But the butcher looked rather stressed, I think he was being quizzed all the time..... And it was the brisket that 'er indoors was gumbling about.

Edited by Cyclecar
Typo

10 hours ago, catmiss said:

Are the Nags Head open in lockdown? 

No closed ,But the plough as an open new cabin in garden were you can get tea coffee etc.

14 hours ago, speleo1 said:

No closed ,But the plough as an open new cabin in garden were you can get tea coffee etc.

Just wondered as speleo1 quoted the current ‘now’ price of £9.50 on 26/1/21- perhaps they’re doing takeout which might explain the price hike. I think there’ll be a lot of folk who’ll pay over the odds for a night out in the pub when allowed