Prices Going Up!

We don't shop as frequently these days, perhaps every two weeks apart from milk and the papers. So I was the trolley pusher yesterday, and the missus collared the nice man on the butchers counter, as some joints had soared in price. A brisket no bigger than my fist was well over a fiver. He was very polite and candid, everything had shot up, indeed the gammon joints that they source from Denmark had gone missing altogether. As we drove away I noticed that diesel was 8p up on my last fill.

Is it just me or is it widespread?  Please don't take this as a Brexit rant, there are always seasonal shuffles.

Edited by nikki-red

No it's not just you, I've noticed it as well.

Though I'm surprised you can't find any gammon, I always see lots in Sheffield.

Well I'm glad somebody else has noticed, I've been saying if for a while. It's not just going up pennies either, it's often by a very substantial amount.

And then there's 'shrinkflation;'  smaller amounts for a greater price, as mentioned on another thread. 

2 hours ago, Cyclecar said:

We don't shop as frequently these days, perhaps every two weeks apart from milk and the papers. So I was the trolley pusher yesterday, and the missus collared the nice man on the butchers counter, as some joints had soared in price. A brisket no bigger than my fist was well over a fiver. He was very polite and candid, everything had shot up, indeed the gammon joints that they source from Denmark had gone missing altogether. As we drove away I noticed that diesel was 8p up on my last fill.

Is it just me or is it widespread?  Please don't take this as a Brexit rant, there are always seasonal shuffles.

Which supermarket are you speaking of & what weight for the piece of gammon? 

I can’t comment on the price of  all meat going up although there doesn’t seem to be an increase on the price of extra lean minced beef.  Prices on food started to go up after the first lockdown last year because of the virus.  The supermarkets and shops in my opinion are covering their cost for extra security on the doors monitoring the amount of people going in to shop because of covid, sanitizer dispensers for people to use, handing out free masks in some supermarkets and extra cleaning.  It’s all got to be paid for.

When hairdressers reopened last year I noticed prices had increased because of all the extra measures and equipment that they needed.

I don’t think price increases is anything to do with leaving the EU.   I’m blaming the increased sanitation measures. 

15 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I can’t comment on the price of  all meat going up although there doesn’t seem to be an increase on the price of extra lean minced beef.  Prices on food started to go up after the first lockdown last year because of the virus.  The supermarkets and shops in my opinion are covering their cost for extra security on the doors monitoring the amount of people going in to shop because of covid, sanitizer dispensers for people to use, handing out free masks in some supermarkets and extra cleaning.  It’s all got to be paid for.

When hairdressers reopened last year I noticed prices had increased because of all the extra measures and equipment that they needed.

I don’t think price increases is anything to do with leaving the EU.   I’m blaming the increased sanitation measures. 

From what I have read anything imported will go up in price because of the extra costs of paperwork/red tape etc due to Brexit. Companies won't want to absorb these costs. But of course that may well not be the only reason and some of the things you note may also may a bigger/lesser role.

Some things may become cheaper e.g british lamb which is now hard to export to the EU. I have read this may eventually result in farmers have to sell dirt cheap due to so much competition from other desperate farmers to sell their lamb.

Edited by nightrider

I was at Asda earlier and their own brand wholemeal bread has gone up by 9p a loaf.

Edited by iansheff

Economic laws never change, prices are determined by supply and demand.  Lamb market for example may well see a decrease in demand (loss of export market) but that will not simply reduce the price in the home market.  Some farmers will switch to other products which could lead to reduced supply and the price going back up!  The consumer is King?

Brexit will cause a lot of economic damage to the UK and the pandemic has exacerbated that damage.  However, unlike Covid-19 the people voted for to leave the EU in a democratic referendum; there are lessons to be learnt there!

It’s correct to assume the additional measures due to Covid will have to be paid for and for a national business like the supermarkets the bill will run into the hundreds of millions.

Also transportation costs have shot up both internationally and in the UK, some freight firms are quoting prices 3 times last years price for a full load within the UK.

The biggest increase in shipping costs is seen in international shipping, 4-6 fold increases are being seen which means the cost of transportation is sometimes more than the cost of the goods themselves!

No doubt on food Brexit may also have had an impact but it will be part of the issue not the root cause I think.

There will be inflation in prices this year, especially goods shipping from Asia. 
Some larger items will become un-feasible, I know businesses that import garden furniture from China and Vietnam that have cancelled all their orders as they would have to double the product price and people just won’t pay it.

My advice on larger ticket items would be to buy early if you are happy with the price as it will likely increase or goods will be scarce as the year progresses.

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

I was at Asda earlier and their own brand wholemeal bread has gone up by 9p a loaf.

I think price rises so far have been minimal on some items and really depend on the brand and where you shop. ASDA home brand wholemeal may have gone up 9p but it was cheap to start off with and is only 59p now for a medium sliced loaf.

Supermarkets may be affected by covid costs but that it seems is being offset by the record profits they are making since lockdown and the increase in home delivery.

Wait until the Pubs reopen there price for a pint will also go up,they will have to reap it back somehow,that's if you are a drinker.

1 hour ago, speleo1 said:

Wait until the Pubs reopen there price for a pint will also go up,they will have to reap it back somehow,that's if you are a drinker.

I remember going to the pub in the summer after the first lockdown and getting charged £3.40 for a pint. I remember thinking to myself, that's 6 cans at home! 😂 Sadly, I think you are right, they'll be looking to get back some of the money they've lost.

One thing that gets me, the price of shopping seems to have been going up for a while but they claim inflation is only 0.6% - what do they put in that magic basket of goods, not things I buy most weeks for sure.